PDA

View Full Version : rusted gun

phil3333
03-09-2013, 08:30 AM
I have a buddy who wants to sell me a nice browning hunting rifle it looks ok except the metal is starting to rust and
pit not in the barrel but on the outside would it be worth while to get it I have no idea what it would take or cost
to fix the rust,sand and reblue or parkerize ?

HATCH
03-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Depends on how much the gun is going to cost you.
I can get a AK refinished in gunkote for $65.00

MBTcustom
03-09-2013, 08:55 AM
Bluing a bolt action runs $150, so make for darn sure you are getting a good deal!

flounderman
03-09-2013, 08:58 AM
I just finished my first rust bluing job using mark lee express blue and it turned out good. I wish I had know about this process 50 years ago. You need a tank to boil the parts in is the only special item you need. I degreased with acetone. You polish the metal, degrease, boil, coat,boil, steel wool(degreased), coat. boil and steel wool a few more times, final boil and oil. I quit before it looked like it was ready but after the oil it looked really good. I had heard rust bluing took days, but I did this in a few hours. It is possible for anyone to do a quality blue job using this product. I didn't even have the instructions. I copied a procedure someone had posted for some type of rust bluing on the site.

phil3333
03-09-2013, 09:00 AM
thanks I will probably buy it doesnt seem to expensive to get it fixed

oldred
03-09-2013, 10:19 AM
You mention rust AND pits, that could be a problem. Light rusting can usually be polished away and if it is only light rust just rubbing with OOOO steel wool and oil (a solvent type oil like WD40 is best) can sometimes fix the problem without the need for rebluing. Heavier rusting may require so much rubbing that the blue gets damaged/removed and rebluing will be required but PITTING is a whole 'nother problem! If there are pits they can be a real bugger to deal with and sanding them out may not always be practical, it depends on the location and how extensive the damage. If the pits are very deep at all then there is usually little that can be done because removing them requires the entire metal area around them be removed to a depth as deep as the pits extend. The point is look at the rust carefully and remember any significant pitting will most likely have to remain (light pitting can sometimes be removed) and base your decision on whether or not you are willing to accept these permanent blemishes.

pietro
03-09-2013, 03:22 PM
Well, it depends....................... Which Browning rifle you're referring to, and what year it was made.

Have you ever heard of the Browning "saltwood" problem ? (Google, if not).

If it's a saltwood rifle, it'll need a new stock, AND refinishing - which doesn't remove rust pitting - Sooooooo, I wouldn't want to pay very much, IF I bought one, at all.

DLCTEX
03-09-2013, 11:18 PM
Check the thread above this one.