PDA

View Full Version : 1st Round vs Others

Mike.44
03-09-2013, 06:28 AM
Since starting to experiment with muzzleloaders I have an observation and a quetion.
Observation: The 1st shot from a clean barrel does not hit where the follow-up shots go.

That is no big deal when shooting at the range. However, I plan on using my muzzleloaders for hunting. I know I can clean the bore after each shot and sight in that way. Or, I can foul the barrel before loading for the hunt-not a good idea in Florida with all the humidity. What are some of your "tricks" for getting an accurate 1st shot from a clean barrel?
Mike

mainiac
03-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Think this is a problem with the lube your using.Also,maybe ya patch is not tight enough???

My guns will shoot into the group on a clean bore,almost all the time.If ya patch is loose fit,after that first shot,the second shot will be tighter because of the fouling deposited in the bore,think that affects the pressure of the next shots. Once i got away from the yellow ear wax lubes,and tightened up my patch fit,,i got rid of first shot fliers......

Mike.44
03-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Thanks.....My experience so for has only been with a P-H 1853 Enfield 3 band shooting minies. I was just trouble shooting for the Lyman GPR That hasn't even arrived yet.....LOL

shredder
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
For hunting I find that zero for the first cold shot is the only way to go. That is the condition I take the rifle out in the field, cold and clean. The follow up loaded on the first shot's fouling should land very close. That is all you need. If you are at the range and want to bang away for a while that can sometines involve another zero point, and I find, one best avoided if you want your cold clean shot to hit fur.

flintshooter
03-09-2013, 09:26 AM
There really should not be that much difference. Like they said above, experiment with your patch material, lube and thickness. I actually found a midweight denim works great for my flintlocks. If you're shootin one of them new fangled inline things, don't know what to tell ya there. They might be more finicky between first and following shots.

Mike.44
03-09-2013, 10:10 AM
NO in-line stuff here.......side-lock all the way

flintshooter
03-09-2013, 10:13 AM
My thoughts as well but, not lookin to rile anybody up.

Mike Brooks
03-09-2013, 10:16 AM
I always fire a fouling shot before i load for hunting. Humidity has never been a problem, even here in the mississippi river valley.

Case Stuffer
03-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Very few if any firearms will shot to exactly the same point of impact first clean shoot and all o thers which followed with a slightly fowled barrel. It really make little difference if they are BP Sp if the firearm and shooter are both ca[able of very good accuracy and do thier part.

johnson1942
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM
keep the info comming on this one i want to lean as much as i can from every ones experiences. i have several diff muzzle loaders and they all are diff from each other on this question. the patched roundball guns dont make any diff. the .50 cal paperpatched ones can have a slightly diff first shot. the .45 cal paperpatch gun is always in the same spot. i clean with one damp and two dry between shots on the range or hunting. the blackpowder catridge shooters always foul the barrel before shooting for target however they are shooting a bullet. you might want to foul the barrel if your shooting a mini.

Hanshi
03-09-2013, 02:34 PM
I shoot only prb but have never noticed the first shot from a clean barrel straying out of the group. I admit this may have happened but my shooting is possibly not precise enough for me to pick it out. In the woods it has never been a problem.

dondiego
03-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Hanshi ---- I don't know, but I just have a feeling that your shooting IS precise enough.......just have that feeling.........don't know ya.

fouronesix
03-10-2013, 12:36 AM
Observation: The 1st shot from a clean barrel does not hit where the follow-up shots go.
Mike

There's no trick I've found to compensate for the phenomenon. For hunting, I simply sight in while cleaning well between shots. Then, I know the rifle will shoot where it should with the 1st all important shot. Unlike some reports, I do see a difference between the 1st shot out of a cold, clean bore and subsequent shots out of fouled bore. Usually it's a vertical difference and usually the first shot is a little higher. If the difference is very great then I'll make a mental note and adjust the hold for follow up shots with a fouled bore. The idea is to make the 1st shot count at a reasonable range under the right conditions. That way, hopefully most of the time, any follow up shots are simply coup de grace.

ken s
03-10-2013, 09:27 AM
when I was hunting, (too smart now to sit on a wet rock for 8 hours) (ok I miss it) to get the first shot on target, I would swab the bore with rubbing alcohol before I went out. it took out all the oil and the first shot would be true. Ken

johnson1942
03-10-2013, 11:11 AM
thanks ken s keep the wisdom comming. going to try that.