PDA

View Full Version : Home made lube with Xlox

lead_her_fly
08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using White Label Liquid Xlox and parafin to make a lube for a luber/sizer.
I have read about the "Home brews" in the stickys above and thought I might have another idea!
Let me know if this has been tried please and with what success.
Thanks!
Skip

leftiye
08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Lead
Lar's Xlox is actually Alox. The alox makers gave him some crap about using their name (wasn't that what is in the bottle?) so he doesn't anymore. That been said, You could mix it 50/50 with beeswax to make the most famous lube of all- NRA formula. I'm kinda curious about mixing it with a wax that is itself a good lube- either Carnauba or Castor wax. If you decide to do this, (or if you just want info) you should Personal message Lar 45 and discuss it with him.

44woody
08-15-2007, 08:46 PM
I make alox/bees wax and I add some carnauba wax in there to keep my bbl nice and shinny I mix it in a double boiler 50/50 by volum then I add a table spoon full of carnauba wax to the mix then poure into my moulds :castmine: 44Woody

crabo
08-15-2007, 09:27 PM
Anyone use Meguires or one of the car waxes with carnauba as a source of carnaubafor lubes?

Thanks,

Crabo

44woody
08-15-2007, 09:42 PM
I use pure carnauba flakes #3 yellow from calwax corporation ---5367 Ayon Avenue --Irwindale,Ca. ---91706-2019 --- phone no. is {629}969-4334 that is the best place to get it at and it will go a long ways :castmine: 44Woody

leftiye
08-16-2007, 01:58 PM
Woody have you experimented with different amounts of Carnauba? Have you dip lubed boolits with it? Have you tried Castor wax? Just trying to gather info....

44woody
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
leftiye long time ago I was told by some one and I don't rember who to put in one heaping tabel spoon ful in per cup of alox and bees wax that is what I have been doing ever scence then been working for me and never tried any thing else the formula I use is 1 cup melted bees wax 1 cup of alox 350 melted and 2 tabel spoons of carnauba flakes #3 yellow and I have used alot of it :castmine: 44Woody

felix
08-16-2007, 02:28 PM
This is a good mix, Woody. ... felix

felix
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
BassAckwards(BA) is thinking about experimenting with that mix (carnauba/castorwax), Leftiye, sometime this winter when the weather is nasty and cold. The attempt will be to try and get a coating, rather than a lube per se, that will work around the clock. The hardest challenge is to make a coating/lube that will not load up a barrel under these extreme conditions. Hot weather lube has been solved for most applications. ... felix

lead_her_fly
08-18-2007, 06:45 AM
Felix, I read your recipe and like most these days I want something easier/less time consuming to make.

I know that smacks of the fast food mentality but....

I also found some other recipes that used beeswax and a miriad of other things like lard, petroleum jelly, chicken fat and on and on.

I even made some last night that had one part parafin, one part beeswax, one part petroleum jelly, one part White Label Liquid Xlox, and a tsp Johnson's Paste Wax. Haven't shot any yet. I hope it works ok. This is for mostly target handgun shooting. Maybe pins and plates or something.

wiljen
08-18-2007, 07:24 AM
It should be noted that there are 2 kinds of Alox found in casting, Alox 350 (a substitute for the no-longer made Alox 2138f) which is used in 50/50, and Alox 606-55HF which is the same as Lee or Lyman Liquid Alox. Making a lube of Paraffin, beeswax, and alox is probably best suited to the 350 variety. LARS sells both, I do believe, so just be certain of which you are getting.

lead_her_fly
08-19-2007, 06:56 AM
I sent an email to White Label Lube. I'll see what they suggest.

lead_her_fly
08-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I got an email with a bunch of good information in it. I greatly appreciate it that's for sure!
As I try to impliment what I have learned I will share it as LARS permits.
Thanks again!