PDA

View Full Version : Mold for barrel slugs

bear67
03-08-2013, 09:03 PM
6346463465Wanted to slug a Lone Wolf replacement barrel the other day and did not any sinkers or anything close to right size--besides you never know the alloy of sinkers or other folks stuff. Wanted something easy to start in the bore, tapered and easy to make. I was considering making a broach tool to drill a taper in mold stock and thought about a step drill. I picked one out of the tool box with self drilling 1/4" first step and the possibilities were there.

I did this in the lathe, but could be done on a drill press or maybe even freehand with hand held drill motor. Chucked the 1" brass nut that I had already cut part of the shaft and threads off of with the head of the out of the chuck to be the mold body. I carefully fed the step drill into the bolt head until I got to the step that was roughly .500". A brass drilling trick is to use white lubriplate as a lube and you get a good finish. The step drills do not eject chips well, so I drilled a short distance, backed out and brushed chip away and repeated.

The pictures show the mold and the "slugs" that resulted along with the stop drill used--this is quality US made bit, but the Chinese HF ones might work00just don't have any. These bits are a staple in electricians tools to enlarge and drill holes and wire for conduit in electrical panels. I cleaned the mold with acetone and poured it full with pure lead (I probably have a 1000 pounds of pure, so why not use it and you can re-pour the slugs after using in a barrel. There are six steps on the resulting slugs when poured full running .250, .326, .378, .439, ..457 and .502. for slugs to try in the 9 mm barrel I did not pour full but to the .439 level. I pre-heated the mold on a hot plate and used vice grips to hold the shank below the "mold" head.

When poured these looked great and then I slugged the 9 MM LW barrel for a Glock and an old worn out Govt 45 barrel in a box of "stuff" in the machine shop. From the pictures you see the tapered slugs and 2 that were used in the 9 mm barrel next to the mic. I had .45s also, but forgot and dropped them back in the casting pot. I think this is going to be a good solution to having a slug mold handy. My shooting/casting buddy liked it so well, that he had me make one out of a scrap piece of brass rod in the "spare parts repository" junk box. Took 10 minutes to machine the hole and after the pot was hot, 5 minutes to pour 25 slugs.

It worked to my satisfaction and I am happy with the results. The Lone Wolf barrel measured out with the micrometer to .456 and I sized some to .457 and will shoot them through that barrel tomorrow if possible. 63464

smoked turkey
03-09-2013, 01:09 AM
Looks like a good idea for those of us needing to slug a barrel and not having the appropriate tapered lead sinker. I am there right now. I have a good step bit (came from Lowes in the electrical section), and a small chunk of brass. Might just give this a try. bear67 thanks for the tip.

Cane_man
03-13-2013, 07:08 PM
that is a good idea, did you have to use any mold release or did the slug just fall out easily?

bear67
03-13-2013, 10:59 PM
Just tap the side of the mold with my wooden "knocker" and they fall right out while still warm. Am thinking about an improved model with longer lead bearing cylinder. Stay tuned for later developments--I need to babysit a 5 year old red headed girl tomorrow, so projects will just have to wait.