PDA

View Full Version : Loose Primers in 9MM

wv109323
03-08-2013, 08:31 PM
I got a CZ 9mm P-07 for Christmas. I had loaded up some test rounds and test fired them with no problems. Those loads were 3.5 gn. and 4.0 gns. of Bullseye with my RCBS 124 TC Cast sized at .357. (Bore slugged at .356) My Lyman Book has the load at 3.8 gns. to 4.3 gns of Bullseye with a 125 gn Boolit. I also had some commercially cast 125 round nose bullets that were sized and verified at .356. They also were loaded with 4.0 grains of Bullseye. It seemed that the commercial cast were a little more accurate than my cast bullets and I had roughly 150 of them that I wanted to load.
The second time fired cases/primers showed a little bit of primer flow around the firing pin indentation but nothing that alarmed me. Also the primers were somewhat flat but nothing excessive.
I reloaded the brass for the second time and 9 cases out of 100 cases had a primer hole that was too large to hold a primer. The brass was Winchester and I am sure it was once fired brass when I began. The primers were WSP.
Is the 9 mm that hard on brass ? That 2 reloads is all you can expect out of your brass. Do I need to reduce my loads down to 3.0 grains to save my brass?
This is my first 9 mm. I have reloaded near a 100K of .45 ACP and I can not remember a loose primer hole after multiple reloads.
What is your opinion? Comments?

Catshooter
03-08-2013, 09:25 PM
wv,

I noticed the same thing. My conclusion was it was the primer, not the pocket because of how little force it took to seat 'em.

I've got lots of primers, but not a lot of selection. I happened upon 5000 Tula Small Rifle and tried those. They do take a bit more force to seat and no falling out. I don't know why the Winchester small pistol I have are a bit small, but they are.

Cat

44man
03-09-2013, 10:08 AM
Too much pressure! It is a high pressure cartridge. The primer flow should have alerted you.

Catshooter
03-09-2013, 09:42 PM
44Man,

Did you actually read his post? I think you missed this line: "Also the primers were somewhat flat but nothing excessive."

I have loaded (by accident) 9mms that were so hot that the pressure expanded the primer pockets to the point that the primers fell out. I'm here to tell you that they weren't 'somewhat flat'. I mean come on, how could you expand the pocket and not have incredibley flat primers? The pockets are a whole bunch more resistant, don't you think?

A 9 is a 'high pressure cartridge"? I guess it is compared to a 45 ACP.

Maybe a little less beer and more reading would help.

Cat

45 2.1
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
I have 9mm brass of various makes from the time I started loading it (around 1974) that is pretty mangled.... pockets are still reasonably tight after 60 reloads or so. Sometimes you run onto a lot of brass that isn't up to snuff..... yours may be like that....... and 9mm brass varies all over the place as to case thicknesses and hardness. 9mm cases are usually pretty tough, but some aren't..........

wv109323
03-09-2013, 10:55 PM
I have got some other head stamped brass and I will try that. I didn't think 4.0 gns would be a hot load when the manual lists 4.3 as max.