PDA

View Full Version : Nose Lube

barrybrice
03-08-2013, 04:28 PM
I have just set up a new Star Lubesizer. My bullets are coming out which streaks of lube on the nose cone. I have searched and cannot find a reason why on the forum. I am sure somebody has asked this before and it has been answered. Could somebody please guide me to the right thread with the correct solution as to what I need to change in my set up. Thanks in advance. Here is a photo.63450

dbosman
03-08-2013, 04:44 PM
On my Lyman, that meant too much pressure. I had to learn when and how much to tighten the wrench.

VHoward
03-08-2013, 04:46 PM
It could be too much pressure, to much heat if you have the heater, or you don't have the punch adjusted properly so the lube holes in the die line up with the lube groove.

fishnbob
03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
I had the same problem yesterday with my RCBS LAM II on 9 mm boolits. I ended up adjusting the rod that controls the depth of the boolit in the die to about all the adjustment that I had and cut down on the heat and barely moved the pressure screw about every 2 or 3 boolits. I had to let the pressure & heat get so low that I had to rotate the boolit and size twice to keep it off the nose and then I had to wipe the base off on every one. Slow as the duece but they came out nice. I haven't had that kind of problem on any of the other 8 boolits that I cast & lube and BTW I am using Carnuba Red so I have to put some heat on it. I also found that it helped if I set the boolits base down on the heating pad edges around the base of the Lubersizer to warm them up and also it seemed to fill out the groove better if I gave it about 3 seconds to fill out before ejecting. Hope this helps.

Bullshop
03-08-2013, 05:22 PM
You can gain some adjustment by removing the lock ring from the depth adjuster on the RCBS or the Lyman press.
This is often a necessity for lubing light weight 22s.
I run my presses without the lock ring.
If you wish to keep the ring but still gain some adjustment you can reinstall the ring above the threaded part of the press that holds the ajuster.

barrybrice
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM
Thank you all for the quick reply's. I do not have a RCBS or Lyman but a STAR. I am running a heat plate plugged into a replaceable with a dimmer switch to control the temperature. I have turned it down, but I will turn it down some more. I have checked the punch lining up to the lube holes and I do not seem to have an issue there. So I will keep playing with the lube pressure and the temperature.

ReloaderFred
03-08-2013, 05:57 PM
It's the lube pressure and heat. Too much of either one will cause a little bit of lube to squirt onto the nose of the bullet.

Hope this helps.

Fred

barrybrice
03-09-2013, 12:28 AM
I have turned the heat way down and I am getting much better results. The extra lube on the nose is gone but the fill out of the grove is so-so. Now it is just a mater of fine tuning the heat and pressure. Thank you for all your advise!

crawfobj
03-09-2013, 10:18 AM
I used my STAR for the first time and had to figure out the heat/pressure the hard way too. Gonna have to set up a way to regulate the temp on my Lyman heater. The on/off method leaves a little to be desired. I did manage to size enough boolits for my .45ACP to use 2 whole sticks of Carnuba Red. Looks like I'm going to need to keep more on hand from now on...

old cobra
03-09-2013, 12:39 PM
As-cast diameter of boolit close to or slightly smaller than the i.d. of the sizing die can cause this problem.

VHoward
03-09-2013, 03:02 PM
As-cast diameter of boolit close to or slightly smaller than the i.d. of the sizing die can cause this problem.

True. I have some bullets I cast that drop at .3587. I size them to .358 so basically I just put lube in the groove. Don't need much heat or pressure with those.

captaint
03-18-2013, 12:16 PM
When I was having problems with fillout in the grooves, the cause was ME !!! I forgot the actual pump action takes place at the very bottom of the handle stroke. I was short strokin the deal. Issue solved. Mike

gbrown
03-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Make sure the rod between the front actuator bar and rear actuator bar is adjusted correctly. That is the bar (front) between the handle rod and top of punch, and the bar(rear) that activates the piston. If the rod is not travelling enough (front to rear), the piston will not move forward enough to effectively pump lube into the die. Also, make sure you are going all the way up on the upstroke.