PDA

View Full Version : Enlarged primer pockets in 7.62x39

DrCaveman
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Howdy

I shot some hot loads a few months back in my cz527 carbine, hot enough for a couple of primers to pop out. Yeah, way too hot, I stopped shooting and pulled the rest.

I have finally gotten around to prepping the brass that was used that day, and I am having trouble getting a new primer to stay put. I seat it (with nearly NO resistance) and then I can tap the case on my bench and primer falls out.

Fortunately this is only happening with 1 or 2 cases (glad I didn't shoot more of them).

I found a link to an RCBS tool that is supposed to swage cases down to make a tighter pocket. Discontinued. Also some tool called case-pro, $465.

Anybody have a better/realistic way to fix this? Or is the brass just done for? The brass is otherwise totally fine for at least a few more reloadings...

Thanks

sdcitizen
03-08-2013, 02:33 PM
I've swaged primer pockets down a bit using a 5/16 punch in a vise to set the case on upside down and a large ball bearing (1 1/8 I think) centered over the primer pocket, hit the bearing with a hammer and the brass will 'squish' down into the pocket a bit. I usually run them through a regular primer pocket swager to iron out any that got too small, but with a little practice that is probably unnecessary.

Fluxed
03-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Anybody have a better/realistic way to fix this? Or is the brass just done for? The brass is otherwise totally fine for at least a few more reloadings...

Sorry to have to say this --- but the fix for those cases is the trash can.

williamwaco
03-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Sorry to have to say this --- but the fix for those cases is the trash can.

+ 1001.

Hickory
03-08-2013, 09:19 PM
There was a guy who I sometimes worked with who thought he could load a 30-30 to 308 velocity.
Ruined a lot cases before he lost an eye and half of his face.
If you want more velocity, get a bigger caliber.

DrCaveman
03-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Gotcha fellas. In the trash they will go, and the load that put them there has been stamped with a big frowny face.

Lucky I just found 50 cases at the muzzleloader shop, once fired R-P brass. I can't seem to find 7.62x39 anywhere these days so now I feel better about tossing a few. Hey, they can make good Kake cutters.