PDA

View Full Version : What Kimber

Hanshi
03-08-2013, 01:38 PM
I have a Kimber (54xxxB) - I believe they called it a "custom classic" - that I bought not long after they hit the market with the bolt release redesign, some 30 -34 years? ago. It has the ebony forend tip, wood and metal checkering, European walnut, everything "deluxe". It's a real shooter and looker. What do I have in terms of production year, variation, value, etc? I don't aim to sell it as it's the finest .22 I've ever seen.

pietro
03-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Well, you don't have a "Kimber".

What you have was made by "Kimber of Oregon", not to be confused with the current "Kimber Mfg".

Since your rifle's SN has a "B" suffix, it was made after 1986, with a newer action than the previous action (now referred to as the "A" model) - with an improved cocking sys, faster lock time, swept-back bolt handle, & improved recoil lug.

If your rifle has a steel Neidner-style buttplate, it could be either a Custom Cascade Model, or a Super America - both of which were disc in 1988, but with the SA re-introduced for 1990 to 1991.

Hanshi
03-08-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the info, pietro. It's an M82, of course, and the second M82 .22LR I've owned. I bought my first one when they hit the market. They were amazing and looked like centerfires and not at all like a rimfire. Accuracy was splendid and the trigger pull excellent. What I couldn't understand was the trigger being the bolt release. I soon tired of having the bolt hit my head every time I chambered a round and finally traded it. I knew the problem would eventually be fixed, especially considering the otherwise fine quality of the piece.

Sure enough I managed to get my hands on refined second incarnation of the rifle and it is the one I have. During this time I also managed to get a low # 3-digit Hornet. This rifle is spectacular. Though a field grade it was all I needed. I understand there have been a couple more incarnations since then.

Adk Mike
03-09-2013, 11:23 PM
I have one I bought new in about 1981. I still have the box and the receipt. A 4 digit serial number. It is the standard model with plain barrel and a Leupold scope . Not a lot of people know what it is. A joy to own and very accurate . I hope to pass it on to the grand kids .

Jack Stanley
03-10-2013, 06:04 PM
The few left handed shooters I know tend to drool lot when my .22 comes outside . It's got the ebony tip , at least I think it's ebony . Checkered steel buttplate , steel grip cap , nice checkered wood bolt on the left and serial number is LH and three digits . It is well worth all the overtime I worked to get it , I think it is from about 1987 or so .

Jack