PDA

View Full Version : 45's frosted again, help please?

gunoil
03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Have frost again on 45acp. Mold is in lead and comes out clean, pot @700.. Boolits would look better not frosted over.

gunoil
03-07-2013, 10:41 PM
lite frost is fine, found old post.

Edubya
03-07-2013, 10:44 PM
They hold the lube better when frosted. Don't worry about it. Most of the time, the frost is caused from too hot of an alloy. You want soft lead for a .45. I gives it more opportunity to mushroom. If you really want shiny lead you'll have to throw in some lino-type. Lino-type equals harder lead.

EW

MtGun44
03-07-2013, 11:19 PM
If the fill out is good and diam OK, forget it. Frosty is fine.

Bill

41 mag fan
03-07-2013, 11:27 PM
They hold the lube better when frosted. Don't worry about it. Most of the time, the frost is caused from too hot of an alloy. You want soft lead for a .45. I gives it more opportunity to mushroom. If you really want shiny lead you'll have to throw in some lino-type. Lino-type equals harder lead.

EW

The frost was from too hot a mold..you get the melt to hot you start leaching out other metals like tin in the lead.
Mold to cold, wrinkly boolits with or without voids.
Mold to hot, frosty boolits.

MtGun44
03-07-2013, 11:34 PM
"leaching out other metals like tin in the lead" ----???

You will oxidize the tin more rapidly at high temps. Frosty is NOT a cause for rejection. Slow
down the casting rate to let the mold cool down, ideally. I don't sweat it too much if the
fillout and diam are good.

Trying to figure out where this 'frosty is cause for rejection' is coming from. IMO, baloney
as long as diams and fill out are good. Not exactly ideal, but not something that I spend
too much time trying to fix or worrying about, let alone rejecting perfectly fine boolits for.

Bill

gunoil
03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
thanks, yea i got it to hot. Was watchin youtube, he dipped mold in till it came clean. It must have got hotter second time. First batch frosties are really filled out nice. Second start up went hot!

My NRA instructor carries soft lead nose boolits, all lead, iam confused! They can be as good as HP's? Not many of those hp's round here.

runfiverun
03-08-2013, 01:53 AM
hollowpoints have a tendancy to not penetrate.
in fact most/the majority of people that survive being shot have been shot with hollowpoints.

nhrifle
03-08-2013, 03:36 AM
As long as they don't look like someone went after them with a sandblaster, I don't worry too much about them. Frosty boolits have a bit of a rougher surface that helps the lube to stick, or so the common wisdom goes.

xacex
03-08-2013, 03:44 AM
If the frost can be polished off with a rub it is ok. If the frosty is more than that the boolit might be undersized"sandblasted or on one side." If you are getting smears on top of your mold it is to hot, and you should cool it by placing it on some wet cotton or denim in between casts. I have to do that with the Mihec 45 200 grain hp or the temps get out of hand. The 227 65 I cant cast fast enough. It really depends on the mold.

Recluse
03-08-2013, 04:08 AM
thanks, yea i got it to hot. Was watchin youtube,

Ah, we just found out what your biggest problem is--your source of information.

My NRA instructor carries soft lead nose boolits, all lead, iam confused! They can be as good as HP's? Not many of those hp's round here.

If a projectile doesn't penetrate, nothing else really matters. I know of a dozen "esteemed and respected" internet gun-forum sites that would poo-poo this right off the bat. And in those forums, I also know that virtually not one of them has ever taken a large animal or a wild charging animal with a "OH POOP!" shot in their life.

Again, lay off the YouTube and internet commando forum sites. They'll feed you so much BS that there oughta be a fart-tax on it.

:coffee:

xacex
03-08-2013, 04:13 AM
Geargnasher had a good post on this here...http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?189087-Why-are-quot-Frosted-quot-bullets-considered-rejects

xacex
03-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Ah, we just found out what your biggest problem is--your source of information.

If a projectile doesn't penetrate, nothing else really matters. I know of a dozen "esteemed and respected" internet gun-forum sites that would poo-poo this right off the bat. And in those forums, I also know that virtually not one of them has ever taken a large animal or a wild charging animal with a "OH POOP!" shot in their life.

Again, lay off the YouTube and internet commando forum sites. They'll feed you so much BS that there oughta be a fart-tax on it.

:coffee:

Give em a break. He may not have a mentor. Some time on this forum will set him straight if he doesn't burn himself up watching youtube. Thanks for the laugh. It doesn't matter how old I get, but you add fart with tax in a comment it reminds me I am still a kid inside.

snuffy
03-08-2013, 12:14 PM
Sometimes with the right temp, right technique, and right alloy, you can end up with shiny, completely filled-out boolits. Like these;

Those are the 300 grain .454, lee, and the 440 .501, also the lee mold. That's 17-3 linotype to pure lead, cast using both, alternating one then the other. Cooling on a fake sponge just after pouring.

Most of my handgun boolits come out looking like this;

that's the mihec .452 200 RNFPHP.

Some would consider those to be frosted. I call them perfect,(well as near perfect we can expect in this world). The alloy there is range lead sweetened with 1% tin.

Now this is what I consider heavy frosting. BUT they're filled out completely, round and at the specified diameter. Same boolit as the shiny one(edit, no it's a .429 300);

Those were all cast using a lee pro-20 with a PID temperature controller. I actually have two of them, both are controlled by the PID. With it, I can hold +- 2 degrees, often =- 1. I keep 2 different alloys in them, so I can select the hardness I want simply by plugging them in and switching the TC for the pid.

gunoil
03-08-2013, 03:32 PM
snuffy, i fly variez and been to oshkosh. Yay!

i have plenty of spent range lead from digging in berms at ft bragg. I work here at ft bragg/civil. I have some tin ingots and some pewter ingots. I will make some more ingot of soft lead in morning. CAN YOU GIVE ME A RECIPE FOR SPENT RANGE LEAD.

AND I HAVE 2 buckets full of copper jackets that i dont know what to do with.

leadman
03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Copper jackets that I have get taken to the scrapper. Usually get around $1.50 a pound.
I like frosty boolits as they always seem to be well filled out with pretty consistent weight.

gunoil
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
recluse and runfiverun ,, About RN.

DITTO. Excited about my NRA INSTRUCTOR going to start coming over next week to start reloading. I have LLM AND LEE CCTP. And frank down the road has 1050. Show nra all i know. The man is one of the best concealled instructors.

leadman, THANKS,, downtown tried to pay me pennys, gotta hunt another salvage yard. Guess i need to get the WW steel clips and such out.

xacex: Yep, mentors round here. military town.
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/D9EEF741-BDB2-47E2-A82C-42DCE0EB71C8-19970-000011E032F9A847_zps494911c4.jpg
800lb steel table, 3/8 inch steel base mount plate for LEE loadmaster.