PDA

View Full Version : Powder from blanks.....

mikeym1a
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
Hello,

not sure if this is the right place for this but, I recently acquired a bunch of 7.62x51 blanks. The boxes say ' 7.62mm BLANK L10 A2 LOT11/91 ', and is dated 04 Jun 1991. Does anyone have any idea what kind of powder is in these things? The powder is a flat disc, and kinda look like unique. I hate to waste good powder, but, don't want to blow anything up. Want to keep all my fingers, you know??

Anyone have any ideas??

Thanks

mikeym1a

Shiloh
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
It is powder for blanks only!!

No way to know what this stuff is, but it is usually very fast. Pressure curves may spike exponentially if used to drive a projectile. Wax or paper wad in the neck??

Shiloh

just.don
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
I will not attempt to answer your question, but if i were I would first ask a question,
Please define "a bunch"?.
I predict that your answer will determine the direction of this thread.

BruceB
03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
aAdvice so far is very good.

Powder in blanks is VERY fast. Throw it on the lawn or flush it down the toilet.. If you decide to destroy it by burning, stand WAY back and use a long powder train of something slower to ignite it.

"I hate to waste good powder", you say. No problem, because this stuff IS NOT GOOD POWDER. Instead, it is a bomb waiting for the impulse.

Jim
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM
You didn't mention what you intend to do with it. If you plan on handloading ammunition with it, at least fire it when you're alone so as to avoid injuring innocent bystanders. You might want to have a friend standing by at a distance, though, as you might need somebody to call 911 for you.

Norbrat
03-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Find a local ceremonial military unit who uses these blanks and give them to them. This way the powder won't be "wasted".

PS: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the powder used in blanks is the same as used in grenades. THAT should give you a hint!

Blanket
03-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Find a local ceremonial military unit who uses these blanks and give them to them. This way the powder won't be "wasted".

Best advice right here. Blank powder is best used for what it is or making fireworks

Catshooter
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
If you have to ask, then your knowledge of powders/ballistics is not up to the task of using it. No intent to flame, just the facts.

Cat

zuke
03-07-2013, 09:44 PM

Best idea

runfiverun
03-07-2013, 10:18 PM
i'm hoping you didn't pour it out of the cases in hopes of trimming those back and re-loading them.
if you did you might as well pour the powder in one of the cases till it's full then just run the rifle over with your truck.

sw282
03-07-2013, 10:58 PM
l have no use for blank powder. l might stay from the brass too as they are usually loaded in 'reject' cases. l have a box of 223 Fioche blank rounds. Unlike our military blanks that are crimped these Fioches are capped with some kind of round metal cap

Combat Diver
03-07-2013, 11:04 PM

PS: I seem to remember reading somewhere that the powder used in blanks is the same as used in grenades. THAT should give you a hint!

Black powder is used in the fuze train IIRC. Comp B is the expolsive usually. However many different grenades out there. Ref: the blanks just shoot them in either a .308 or .30-06 on the 4th of July. (7.62 blank will fireform inside the 30-06 chamber)

CD

uscra112
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM

That is entirely correct. WW2 pineapples were filled with "blank fire powder".

Le Loup Solitaire
03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
The powder used in Blank Cartridges is dangerous to use in handloading regardless of any caliber or cartridge that you may want to consider. Gather it all up and dispose of it safely. Resist any temptation to do otherwise with it. LLS

mikeym1a
03-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Many thanks for all the kind replies. FYI, I've owned my own guns and been shooting for over 40 years. Handloaded ammo for all my firearms during that time. Strictly conventional. Never a miss or hangfire in all that time. Very accurite as well. Got these blanks at a very reasonable price, so, I decided to take a chance. These are blanks that are a one piece casing, crimped and sealed with shellac, or something like it at the tip. Never messed with blanks before, that's why I asked the question. From the tone of the answers, no one really knows the answers, either. I'm smart enough not to try and fire blank powder behind a projectile. I value my modest firearms. They are nothing special, except that they are mine. BTW, these cases are loaded with a charge of 14 grains. Once the snow melts, I'll take some outside and see how fast it burns compared to unique or red dot. Thanks again.

blpenn66502
03-09-2013, 08:53 AM
It should be loaded with 15 grains of SR 8231 per the 1996 Army ammunition data sheet TB 43-0001-27.

Case Stuffer
03-09-2013, 09:09 AM
There is not a smokless ever crated that burns as fast as black powder and black powder is used for loading,blanks,wax,paper,lead and coper/lead rounds. I used to do things with powder from 7.62 blanks that a child should not have been doing and itwas no where nearly as fast burning or eplosive(?) as black powder even4F.

Unless things have changed BE is still the fastest burningSL poder made but then things do change and I do not know everything.

My Dad and I hunted and trout fished a great deal in N. Ga out from Dalonaghe where the Army had thier Ranger Training course set up big time in the late fifties early sixties,there about.

We collected unfired blanks, artilaregy simulators,smoke gernades,fredblanks, machine ammo links perty much anything of value that was left behind. Troops got smarter after many years and sarted policing up their brass and taking it town and selling it and using proceeds for beer keg parties.

mikeym1a
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
It should be loaded with 15 grains of SR 8231 per the 1996 Army ammunition data sheet TB 43-0001-27.
Thank you. That was the answer I was looking for. Now to find out what it is. A matter of academic curiosity. These casing do not look like rejects. I may try to salvage them for brass cases. Berdan primed. If I can't, I'll locate a VFW or American Legion post that might be able to use the remainder. never to old to learn something new.

mikeym1a
03-09-2013, 12:45 PM
There is not a smokless ever crated that burns as fast as black powder and black powder is used for loading,blanks,wax,paper,lead and coper/lead rounds. I used to do things with powder from 7.62 blanks that a child should not have been doing and itwas no where nearly as fast burning or eplosive(?) as black powder even4F.

Unless things have changed BE is still the fastest burningSL poder made but then things do change and I do not know everything.

My Dad and I hunted and trout fished a great deal in N. Ga out from Dalonaghe where the Army had thier Ranger Training course set up big time in the late fifties early sixties,there about.

We collected unfired blanks, artilaregy simulators,smoke gernades,fredblanks, machine ammo links perty much anything of value that was left behind. Troops got smarter after many years and sarted policing up their brass and taking it town and selling it and using proceeds for beer keg parties.

Thanks for the info. But, you've made me even more curious. Now I have to research that aspect. My knowledge of powders is what I have learned through reloading and reading. Chemistry and me were never close friends...

blackthorn
03-09-2013, 01:09 PM
You have been given some very good advice in the above postings. It seems you intend to forge ahead anyway. Your blanks---your saftey---your choice! I hope we do not have to see ---RIP mikeym1a!

mikeym1a
03-09-2013, 01:25 PM
You have been given some very good advice in the above postings. It seems you intend to forge ahead anyway. Your blanks---your saftey---your choice! I hope we do not have to see ---RIP mikeym1a!
Why, Thank You, kind sir.

mikeym1a
03-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Research. Made much easier via the internet. Give the info of SR 8231, I looked around and you were all correct. It is a powder made for military blanks, and is apparently quite fast burning. One man had already done my research for me. He had gotten some and loaded 5.5 grs behind a 230gr ball in a .45acp, and got 930fps. Sounded like a lite charge to me, so, got out the loading manuals, and Unique at 7.3 grains with a 200gr ball gives 970fps. I was convinced. Nothing I can use this powder for. Apparently his gun held together, and the still has all his fingers and eyeballs. Well. I learned something today. I guess that's a plus.

11B-101ABN
03-09-2013, 03:49 PM
You mentioned Berdan Primers in post #18, I don't think U.S. military ammo uses Berdan primers. If they are not U.S. manufacture, then the information from TM43-0001-27 may not apply either. What is the headstamp?