PDA

View Full Version : S&W 43 info needed please...

msp2640
03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
Gents - I was looking at a S&W 43 this afternoon at a local store. As I've now found, it's a lightweight version of the Model 34 kitgun. Anyone familiar with one, it's the first I've seen in person and was in very good shape with an asking price of $500 - Thanks Bill L

Poygan
03-07-2013, 09:46 PM
Bill,
I bought one around 1960. I no longer have it but I do have the box - go figure. IIRC mine had a 3.5 inch bbl and an alloy frame. Believe the cylinder was steel but I think the instructions said to only use standard velocity .22s. At one time they brought a premium over the model 34s and that may still be true. A very nice little pistol. You might find one for sale on some of the sites but I doubt you would find many to do price comparisons. Still wish I had mine.... Does it have the original box and instructions? That would make a difference in the value.

msp2640
03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Unsure on the box, etc - I didn't want to show that much interest before I had a better understanding of what it was worth, as I really don't need it, but if it was a bargain at that price point I may move on it. I did check the closed auctions on a few other sites and as you said, its tough to find recent camparisons. I have a minty flat latch 34 and a virtual new in the box 35, there fore I really don't need another small frame 22, however it would also make a nice compiment to what I already have - Decision time real soon. Thanks Bill

pietro
03-08-2013, 03:11 PM

Considering that a new Charter .22 is $400, and that Smith is worth almost $650 - you oughta get it in gear, and show us pics of your new Smith, instead of jawing aboutit ! . :D

msp2640
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
I went back to take a much closer look at the airweight 22 revolver (with my glasses too). From a few feet it looks great, but up close it's a bit too worn for my taste. The frame looks to have been buffed a bit on the right side and some of the notches on the aluminum cylinder are a bit sloppy. The muzzle (crown) appears that it's been polished, as there is not a bit of blueing left. No box or papers with it. A nice old revolver, especially since it is a flat latch model too, but I'd rather spend money on something "I need" vs a "nice to have" - Thanks for the input though - Bill in MA