PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 62/ 30 Carbine Which mold ?

jjnpg317
03-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Have tried RCBS 32-98 SWC , NOE 314316, and Lee 311-93 and each hang up on the ramp and won't feed. Tried different seating depths on each , but that didn't work either. Will a Lyman 311359 feed correctly in the 62?

Harry O
03-07-2013, 08:19 PM
I have a Model 62 in .30 Carbine. I use the Lee 309-120-GC. I have not had any problem with that one. I did try two different 32-20 bullets with small flats on the nose (one with GC and one without) before buying the Lee. They did not work. The flat seemed to be the problem.

You might want to check the feed ramp and polish it if needed. Also, the magazines for this gun are notoriously cheap. You might want to buy one from Numrich to check if your magazine needs to be tweaked (or tossed).

Nobade
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
I finally gave up on the magazines, they are a pain in the butt and don't work most of the time. The rifle is way more fun now that I ditched the scope and single load it from the top. Loaded with pure lead hollow pointed paper patched #311410's over a full case of 296 it is murder on jack rabbits and prairie dogs!

-Nobade

Harry O
03-08-2013, 09:13 AM
Nobade: I got a couple of new-old-stock magazines from Numrich. They worked. However, they are so soft, I was sure that they would go the way of the magazine in the gun, and very quickly if I kept using them. I took the magazines apart, heated the lips red hot and plunged them into cold water to harden them. I also did that to the bottom closure since it also got caught on things and bent easily. Anyway, after putting them back together, they still worked and they have continued working to this day. Also, loading 3 cartridges in the magazine instead of 4 makes it much more reliable.

I got a peep sight for it shortly after getting the gun. It was much more accurate with that than with the cheap stamped sight that it originally came with. I would have probably stayed with that, except that I ran across some scope bases for it very, very cheap and happened to have an extra 2x7 scope on hand. It is considerably more accurate than an M1 Carbine.

Part of that accuracy is the scope, but part is the tight chamber in my Marlin (and probably part is the microgroove rifling). Anything the least bit over maximum dimensions for the cartridge in any direction will jam. I trimmed my cases to just over minimum length and make sure that there is no bulge anywhere on the case. Doing that, I don't have any jamming problems any more.

There was more work than there should have been to make it reliable, but now that it works, I like it a lot.

Larry Gibson
03-08-2013, 12:22 PM
Yes, the Lyman 311359 feeds very well (probably as close to perfect as it will get) as does the mentioned Lee C309-120-R. I've shot several of them over the years but never had the $s at the time to buy them.......always wished I did........

Larry Gibson