PDA

View Full Version : .50 AE reloading using .500 smith dies?!

toecutter
08-13-2007, 02:53 AM
So a friend of mine wants me to start reloading .50AE rounds for him. However, looking at die prices, if I want carbide dies they are nearly $500, will only fit a 1"x14 press and are a special order item (according to midwayusa.com). However, the .500 smith carbide die set is $35.00. Since last I checked, these cartridges are fairly similar in a number of ways (except for OAL). Would it be possible to use the 500 smith dies for .50 AE?

BigSlick
08-13-2007, 04:53 AM
No.

50AE ia a rebated rim tapered case.

500SW is a straight wall rimmed case.

The reason carbide dies can't be manufactured in 7/8x14 is the carbide ring would be absolutely too thin and be more than prone to cracking.

Using the 500 sizing die, the taper will not be properly formed and bullet tension will be inadequate.

Also, the 50AE utilizes a taper crimp, the 500SW utilizes a roll crimp. Some people use the 500SW Lee FCD to crimp non-cannelured bullets into the jacket/plating of a bullet to utilize less expensive bullets mfr'd for the 50AE, Beowulf etc.. but at longer ranges accuracy really suffers.

Buy a set of steel dies and a can of Hornady One Shot. Loading 50AE with steel dies is pretty simple. Sent quite a few of them and the 500SW's down range.

Dimensions for the 50AE :

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b349/BigSlick10MM/cd50ae-1.jpg
________
Brunette doggystyle (http://www.****tube.com/categories/420/doggystyle/videos/1)

toecutter
08-13-2007, 07:51 AM
Hmm, shows my inexperience with the big pistol cartridges. I was leaning towards getting the RCBS steel dies, but those 500 smith dies were so tempting.

Thanks for your help!

rugerdude
08-14-2007, 10:05 PM
My question is; if they can make carbide dies for .500 S&W for $35-40.00, why can't they make them for the .50 AE for a similar price? I know it might not be as high production an item, but I would think that they could put them on a limited production and still not charge more than $60-80.00. And I bet you that they would sell. :confused:

BigSlick
08-15-2007, 12:45 AM
No.

... The reason carbide dies can't be manufactured in 7/8x14 is the carbide ring would be absolutely too thin and be more than prone to cracking.

Cabide ring would crack on the first case. Look at the dimension on the dwg. The ring would have to be at least .550 ID, plus the diameter of the ring.

This would leave a die with one of two bad options; less than 1/8th inch walls - not thick enough to provide enough support to handle the forces involved; or a thinner carbide ring.

It's been tried. Hornady, RCBS and Redding all attempted it. None were successful.

Lee won't even attempt it. Several folks got together and tried to do a group buy on 50AE carbides from RCBS and/or Lee.

RCBS offered their larger dies, with a much higher cost, Lee just said no, it was a bad idea to even attempt it in a 7/8" die.

They were right.

But really, loading 50AE with steel dies is a piece of cake. A little One Shot and it runs smooth as silk. You don't even have to wipe it off.
________
Problems From Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)