PDA

View Full Version : Perseid Meteor Shower

oksmle
08-13-2007, 01:31 AM
Mrs. oksmle & I were airborn by about 10:00 tonight & flew Ol' Bob (Cessna 150E) about 20 miles East of our airport where we were out of the reflections of OKC, then looking many miles away to the Northeast, (just about over Sundog's house) we enjoyed an hour or so of meteor watching. At least the Mrs. did. I was busy flying the plane. Seemed like every time she would say, "Oh, look at that one," I was occupied with other things inside the cockpit. In an hour's time I probably saw 8 or 10, whereas she saw at least twice that many.
You folks fortunate enough to reside in rural areas probably don't have to make a special effort to see something like this. In our case the plane sure comes in handy.... Ya' shoulda' seen the July 4th fireworks from 4500 feet .....
oksmle

Boz330
08-13-2007, 10:10 AM
When I was guiding the bow hunts in NM in early Sep, you could catch the end of those meteor showers. With the increased altitude and lack of ambient light out there it was really spectacular. Just watching, it seemed like a lot of those might have made it to the ground. But even the milky way was visable to the naked eye.
I was really amased how much I really used the north star for reference going in and coming out to the vehicle. Never got lost, but was a might confused for a couple hours on several occasions though.

Bob

redneckdan
08-13-2007, 10:28 AM
I went out early this morning to brockway mountain. Had to have been 60-70 meteors per hour at 4am.

9.3X62AL
08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
These posts remind me of one of the great joys of wilderness camping on backpack trips in the Sierras--the falling stars, the true darkness of moonless nights, the quiet.

Our new house is a lot better in that regard than our previous home, although this is adulterated somewhat by the 85 year old neighbor lady's floodlights. These lights give her house a Stalag Luft III vibe, and the barred windows and patio complete that ambiance and add "Compton Rock House" subtexts. The finishing touch is the 4' x 6' plywood sign at the driveway apron proclaiming "THIS HOUSE PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON". An example of "Orange County Meets Rural Living", and finding out they are afraid of the dark. City people........SHEESH.

Boz330
08-13-2007, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=9.3X62AL;211545]These posts remind me of one of the great joys of wilderness camping on backpack trips in the Sierras--the falling stars, the true darkness of moonless nights, the quiet.

Ditto Al.
The first year I guided the Outfitter was showing me the ropes and we got caught out late chasing a big Bull and were on the wrong side of the mountain from the truck. All the hunter wanted to do was get back to the truck and camp for supper. On the way back we encountered 2 bulls bugling at each other in the dark, one obviously a young one. The young one would taunt the older and then the older one would tear up some bushes and then run after the younger bull. We couldn't see anything but from the noise it was obvious what was going on. The hunter kept whining about being out so late and being hungry. Finally the outfitter told the guy to sit down and shut up and enjoy what was going on because that was what the whole thing was all about. I can't think of anything more thrilling that working your way in, in the dark and the bulls bugling all around you. Although tukeys in the spring gobbling comes close.

Bob

Topper
08-13-2007, 08:01 PM
60 to 70 per hour!
I need to take a retreat to the country;-)

Jack Stanley
08-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Around here , I only stay up for the leonids . Since it's warm out for them and all . Last year i was gonna stay up for the november show but we had quite a cloud cover . I'm in the country but not enough to see seventy per hour .

Jack

Moose
08-14-2007, 12:31 AM
The war department said we were going to view the skyshow, and had laid out appropriate cushions, pillows and such, all tastefully arranged on the deck of #2 trailer - so, about midnight we repaired to the viewing area and she promptly fell asleep. I held out a little longer, and it was quite a show. Sort of like tracers, sort of- 'cept no orange or red. But lots of them. Didn't keep count but there must have been 40 or more, including some real zippers that split and streaked just fine. Not a sound. Awesome. A lot better than the crystal idiot box.

Bigjohn
08-14-2007, 08:19 PM
Back in '86, I move to the nearest big city (ADELAIDE) to start a new job. It wasn't to bad as I had friends living there. Easter of that year, they asked me if I was busy and could come help them fence the front of their river block.

I went and we spent two days working on the fence. Boy; sinking the holes for the fence posts was the hardest work I had done for a while. Jackhammer work all the way down.

But that wasn't the enjoyable part of the trip. As his wife and daughters were looking after the meal preperation etc. we were at a bit of a loss for things to do after dark. I found a small diameter log and a bare patch of ground, rolled up my overalls and laid down to watch the sky fringe by the branches and leaves of the Mallee trees. I was also listening to the other conversations around me when everybody went quiet, Then someone says quietly, 'John's asleep' and I answered 'No, I'm watching TV!'

It was such a pleasant view, clear sky, fire glow highlighting the branches and leaves and friends talking amongst themselves. Sometimes it is better to watch and listen than to talk and spoil it.

John.

Nueces
08-14-2007, 08:53 PM
A favorite memory from commercial flying - night leg from New York to Seattle, we're over southern Canada during a brilliant meteor shower out of the north. Happened to glance in that direction and was privileged to witness one suddenly grow to brightness, then die out - without appearing to move. Bloomin' little beastie had been aimed right at my nose before burning out. I thought that was cool.

Mark

oksmle
08-14-2007, 11:44 PM
"Bloomin' little beastie had been aimed right at my nose before burning out. I thought that was cool."

Mark .... According to my oldest Grand daughter there's "Cool," then there's "Ever so cool." I believe the latter is a more proper description.
oksmle