PDA

View Full Version : once fired brass still legal in NY?

lars1367
03-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Just wondering if I am still ok shipping brass and non-hazmat reloading supplies to NY state.
Thank you,
Corey

Nocturnal Stumblebutt
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
I believe so, but in all honesty, I think your best bet would be to call Midway or a similar retailer, and just ask.

sirgknight
03-07-2013, 05:54 PM
I prefer to side with Olympic Arms and not ship anything to NY!!!!!

Love Life
03-07-2013, 06:02 PM
I would not deny my brethren in NY access to 1X fired brass. As far as I know it is still legal to ship and own 1x fired brass in NY.

dbosman
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Empty cartridges are just scrap brass until someone does something to alter the emptiness.
A painting is just goop on canvas. Until someone pays something for it.

-Mischief
03-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Yes, it's completely legal to ship to NY ... for now

Bonz
03-07-2013, 08:10 PM
I just shipped a few boxes of pre-fired brass to New York and it all arrived safely.

doulos
03-07-2013, 08:29 PM
It is still legal until January 15, 2014. The law stipulates the state has to come up with a instant background check for face to face ammunition sales at a dealer by this time.
here is some of the wording
"All dealers in ammunition must be registered with the State Police, and each sale will require both a state background check and transmission of a record of the sale to State Police, so as to enable alerts of high volume purchases. Ammunition records will be purged within a year of submission. Dealers must report any loss of inventory. The legislation will also include a ban on direct internet sales of ammunition. Ammunition ordered over the internet must be delivered in a face-to-face transaction with a firearms dealer and the purchaser will be subject to the state background check. The Aurora shooter reportedly amassed 6000 rounds through direct online purchases."

No one seems to know the answer if this will affect components. But at this time both ammo and components are entirely legal.
Midway said they will ship ammo and components until that date and then see what happens.
As for companies and individuals refusing to send things here to fellow gun owners while it is still legal ,thanks for nothing. The state and Gov. Cuomo love that response.

lars1367
03-07-2013, 10:26 PM
As for companies and individuals refusing to send things here to fellow gun owners while it is still legal ,thanks for nothing. The state and Gov. Cuomo love that response.

I hear you, and I agree completely. Believe me, I know how you feel. I spend the first 25 years of my life in Minnesota; the land where nothing is allowed (stole that from a talk show host... can't remember who). As a CYA policy, until I could verify it, I had it on my site that I would cancel all NY orders. I didn't like it, but I also don't want to unintentionally break the law and give the aniti's something else to fuel their battle wagon against guns. I received my first order from NY while the disclaimer was posted. Thanks to the information here I was able to verify that I can still ship to NY state. As a result, has been removed from my site, and I gladly welcome anyone from New York to visit the store. Again, I appreciate the help everyone has given. I am desperately working to increase inventory so I can offer Castboolits a discount on brass. We are getting a sorting machine in few weeks to help us with that.
-Corey

doulos
03-08-2013, 01:20 AM
I hear you lars1367 I don't want you to break the law either. I shouldn't have said thanks for nothing to anyone hesitant to sell to anybody here. But this is frustrating even though its still legal to send stuff here.
The thing we need is for the large suppliers of ammo and firearms to stop selling to government entities in these restrictive states. It seems only smaller companies have the gumption.

This law is so silent on the ammunition component question. Most dealers here arent sure either. But loaded ammo is a definite restriction. But huge companies like Midway who probably have a ton of lawyers will stop shipping components also in Jan 2014.

this web site answers some questions about the dates things go into effect.
but it is just a info page from the governor
http://www.governor.ny.gov/2013/gun-reforms

this is the bill itself
http://open.nysenate.gov/legislation/bill/S2230-2013

If my kids and grandchildren weren't here Id be out of this place

220swiftfn
03-08-2013, 03:25 AM
It is still legal until January 15, 2014. The law stipulates the state has to come up with a instant background check for face to face ammunition sales at a dealer by this time.
here is some of the wording
"All dealers in ammunition must be registered with the State Police, and each sale will require both a state background check and transmission of a record of the sale to State Police, so as to enable alerts of high volume purchases. Ammunition records will be purged within a year of submission. Dealers must report any loss of inventory. The legislation will also include a ban on direct internet sales of ammunition. Ammunition ordered over the internet must be delivered in a face-to-face transaction with a firearms dealer and the purchaser will be subject to the state background check. The Aurora shooter reportedly amassed 6000 rounds through direct online purchases."

No one seems to know the answer if this will affect components. But at this time both ammo and components are entirely legal.
Midway said they will ship ammo and components until that date and then see what happens.

Components AREN'T "ammunition", so the "safe act" won't do anything there.....

Also from WNY

Dan

Swamp Man
03-08-2013, 04:00 AM
N.Y. state went against your 2A rights when they passed their new laws. I wouldn't care if they said it was or wasn't legal if anything was to be said about it I'd take them to fed. court and take a stand with my 2A rights. N.Y. state new unlawful rules needs to be tested in the fed courts if not they win this thing. Never fall inline with anyone when they are stepping on your 2A rights that's what their counting on people doing.

bullet maker 57
03-08-2013, 11:13 AM
I am also in NY. Those of us that live here should not be neglected by those that do not live here. I have not heard one word about components. As stated above components are not loaded ammunition and are not restricted. If people refuse to ship items to NY, then the government will win. I beleive that is what they are counting on. If they make it so difficult that nobody will receive a shippment, They win.
There is an action in the courts to force the Governor to show cause why the new laws should not be enjoined. I believe they have to show cause on March 11th.
More to follow

Pete

supersniper
03-08-2013, 11:32 AM
According to a Utica TV station, a NYS Supreme Court justice has told the state that they have until April 29th to show them that the law is constitutional or he will issue an injunction on the NY SAFE Act.

doulos
03-08-2013, 11:36 AM
Swamp man
We aren't giving up without a fight believe me. as bullet maker 57 said there is court action going on now. The thing that bothered me the most is how many Republican state senators voted for this.

NickB1075
03-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Hey guys I am in Orange County New York and we aren't just rolling over and taking this lightly. There has been some head way made with the courts but it should have never been made into law in the first place.

Doulos:
I agree with you about the Republicans in this state. I know that my vote doesn't count for alot of things in this state but when you have Republicans vote the way they did it is very upsetting. I will continue to support some of my locals that voted against it.

Nick

grampa243
03-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Components are not part of the "safe act" laws.

only loaded "ammunition" will need at background check to be affected by jan, 14th 2014

midway is still shipping to us till then. and say they will keep sending Components after that.

the "safe act" has NO common sense in it!

Swamp Man
03-08-2013, 04:15 PM
Swamp man
We aren't giving up without a fight believe me. as bullet maker 57 said there is court action going on now. The thing that bothered me the most is how many Republican state senators voted for this.
Yeah a lot of Republicans have turned into Demapublicans in all states they are just rolling over and letting the Dems walk all over them.

Artful
03-09-2013, 01:07 AM
According to a Utica TV station, a NYS Supreme Court justice has told the state that they have until April 29th to show them that the law is constitutional or he will issue an injunction on the NY SAFE Act.

I don't see how it is constitutional so let's hope this is struck down

s1120
03-09-2013, 07:56 AM
I went through this a few weeks ago. I was looking to buy a few pieces of brass, and I spent two days reading, and asking if Im able to do so. You hate to shake TOO many trees... I kinda like having reloading under the radar for now. :D I can see why the small companys stopped selling. If we the people of NY dont know.. [and neather do the lawmakers!] how would some small company in a diferent state know. I can see them not wanting to risk the company on it.

Screwbolts
03-09-2013, 08:29 AM
Please do not deny use fellow citizens of the USA that have chosen to Stand and Fight against The Unsafe Act here in NY anything!

Do Not ask Midway or any out of NYS company what ships they have no Clue!!!

I am currently Smelting and shipping lead out of and anywhere in NYS.

Yes I am a new Vendor Sponsor on this great site, "Screwbolts Lead", See the Vendor section for more info.

Ken/screwbolts

W.R.Buchanan
03-10-2013, 02:16 PM
None of this will stand in NY. The same BS was all shot down in CA due to interferring with Interstate Commerce.

This is a typical tactic of the Left and you need to speak out against it at every opportunity. They make an Illegal Law and threaten everyone with felony convictions if they don't comply, and then the law gets shot down as un-constitutional and they never say anything to anyone, thus keeping the law's effects in place for as long as possible. Eventually people find out it has been shot down.

They tried banning internet sales of ammo in CA but the law got shot down, it took several years for all of the dealers to find out it had been shot down and start shipping here again.

I am telling all of you and you need to spread this around as much as possible.

We need a National "Competancy in Legislation Reform Act" That would prevent states from passing laws like NY CA and MA have that directly affect rights guaranteed by the Bill of Rights.

States should NOT have the right to enact laws that are in excess of Federal Gun Laws or other Bill of Rights issues. It becomes too complicated for people to obey those laws as evidenced by this threads content.

EVERY SINGLE problem we have as a nation is, and was, caused by politicians!

Time to start regulating them!

Randy

jdgabbard
03-17-2013, 11:33 AM
I would ship just about anything to our oppressed brothers and sisters in NY state.