PDA

View Full Version : A question on bp as I have never used it for reloading.

Raven_Darkcloud
03-07-2013, 02:35 PM
My question, that I can only find half answers too, is Can you use bp in modern pistol rounds in a powder depraved time? I have seen that some have used in 1911 and some others. I am loading 9mm from a lee 358-125-rf they drop at about 130gr with 20:1 alloy. Is this possible or just nuts?

littlejack
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
RD:
Welcome to the CastBooloits.
The problems (multiple) you are going to have with the bp in modern firearms.
1. The tolerances of modern firearms are tighter than the older bp firearms, so you will have issues with function ie, slides if on pistols, and cylinder lockup if with revolvers.
2. Fouling in the chambers. With pistols, cartridges not chambering. Excessive bore fouling, as opposed to smokeless.
3. Cleaning would be a must after each shooting session. No waiting till next week.
4. Pressures on pistols not high enough to work the slides.
These issues listed, are not necessesarily in that order.
Reguards
Jack

Raven_Darkcloud
03-07-2013, 05:05 PM
So If I get this right, have to clean after shooting, might not cycle the slide. I have found some more info for some load data (converted from 38 short) and just might have to test a few rounds. I know the round will be much slower but its ok this is just fun rounds.

littlejack
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
RD:
You are correct.
As for the converted 38 short data, I do not have any expierience.
You will not be able to get enough bp into the case to do any harm to your firearm. The 38 Special, was originally loaded with bp. That is the reason for the size of the case. The government wanted more power than the 38 short, so the .38 special was born. The problem was that the anemic .38 did not have enough power to dispatch the drug induced Moro's when they came a runnin. There was another cartridge that came about in the later 1800's, (1873 to be exact) that seemed to have a definate change in the Moros fatality rate. It too was loaded with the bp. You may have heard of it.
It was called the 45 Colt.
Jack

bob208
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM
in a short answer yes you can. but as pointed out you will have the cleaning and other problems. now it will work better in wheel guns the autos. .38 spl. .44spl .44-40 .38-40 .45 colt .455 and many others started out as bp rounds with cast lead bullets no less. alot of rifles started out a bp loads too. .303 british, 45-70,32-40,38-55. the .32 winchester spl was loaded with smokless but made to reload with bp.

Nobade
03-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Bigger handgun rounds work fine with BP, as already mentioned. 9MM on the other hand....not so good. I tried it recently. Lightly compressed, I could have shot faster with a slingshot. Heavily compressed and it worked like rocket propellant - boolit fell out the muzzle and the burning powder pellet went downrange. Funny but useless. Don't try it with a jacketed bullet, you might stick one in the bore.

-Nobade

nwellons
03-07-2013, 10:11 PM
BP works great in the 7.62 Russian Nagant revolver. Designed for smokeless in 1895 but often used with BP in WWI. I get much higher velocities than factory; BP is all I use.

Also use it for a .44 Russian revolver but that is what the cartridge was designed for.