PDA

View Full Version : C H Magnum H Press More Leverage

Sliver Shooter
03-07-2013, 12:40 PM
I would like to make changes to my C H Magnum H Press to get more leverage out of it. It takes some umff to do some of the bigger cases, full length sizing. Has anyone monkeyed with these presses. Can I shorten the stubs that come out of the main bar? Needing some guidence.

P.K.
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Add to the lever, to increase the mechanical advantage.

Le Loup Solitaire
03-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Definitely use something to increase leverage at the handle, but be cautious or you may wind up buying some new parts. I would leave the links alone unless you can calculate how much stress they will tolerate/how much they can be shortened. Consulting with CH-4D--the company that still manufactures similar/same presses may get you specific recommendations/advice. Sizing cases with some more ease is one thing, but case forming or swaging is another. I know that you did not mention either of of those, but its always better o be on the safe side of things. I have two of the three stations and have never pushed either of them. I have used them occasionally for some rifle calibers, (they work ok, but do require some more oomph) but mostly for pistol, as I don't like getting a work out/tired when I have a larger number of cases to work on. Its a good press; keep it well oiled. LLS

Iowa Fox
03-08-2013, 12:35 AM
I have a older CH H mag (one holer). Its a good old press but I don't think the linkage will take much of a handle extension for more umpp. I just scouted around until I found another press more suited for the heavy work which a person used to be able to find very reasonably priced. I still have the H mag, its to good of a press for the smaller stuff to get rid of.

Sliver Shooter
03-08-2013, 07:20 AM
Thanks Guys, I may have to look at something more suited work the heffty stuff.