PDA

View Full Version : Anyone load BP substitute in a 577-450 Martini

coaldust
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
I bought a Martini Henry with 80pcs of Jamisen Brass, 2 PP molds and dies and wondered if one of the substitute BP
will work ok for reloading?

Nobade
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
I wouldn't use Blackhorn 209, and probably not T7. Pyrodex or Clear Shot/Shockeys/BlackMZ/etc. should be OK. It is a big case and really should be used with real black powder.

I know Pyro P will bump paper patched boolits, don't know about any of the others.

-Nobade

jbrower
03-08-2013, 12:39 AM
I've used 85gn of Pyrodex with cottonball wads. It didn't blow the rifle up on me and shot okay but I decided to try BP anyway. Then I discovered that Pyrodex has nothing on BP as long as you're willing to clean between every 5 shots or so so you might as well use BP. Plenty of places will ship it to your front door and if you buy at least 5lbs the hazmat fee gets spread thin enough per lb that it's cheaper than store-bought BP, if you can still find a store that sells it.

.22-10-45
03-08-2013, 02:33 AM
I have used Clear Shot in a .577 Snider..bore remained clean..about like a dirty smokeless load..but there were scattered little round globules of fouling in there..wonder if this stuff is sugar based? One thing I did notice..cases were dropped in cardboard box until I got home..and when opened..they were heavely tarnished..just as bad a real black. I haven't shot this stuff since.

MikeS
03-10-2013, 06:15 AM
I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but Bass Pro Shops sells Goex BP, but the don't advertise that fact, you have to ask for it, as it's kept in the back room.

Bad Ass Wallace
03-11-2013, 04:55 AM
I load all my BP bottle necked cases especially the MH with pure Lanotec grease as the boolit lube, able to shoot a 40 shot match without cleaning and accuracy is excellent after the last shot as it is from a clean barrel.

Hooker53
09-15-2014, 07:25 PM
Eric. Do you use the Pure Lanotec A or?