PDA

View Full Version : After the Pan Lube

tbogart
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Sorry for the newbie question, but......I am going to pan lube .45acp 200 grain swc projectiles. They will need sizing after the lubing. My question is, do I need to lube again after the sizing has scraped off the lube around the rings. Thanks for the help.

DeanWinchester
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
I don't. I pan lube unsized boolits and size them afterwards. I use a fired rifle case as a cookie cutter. Example, for my 38's I pan lube them as cast. After the lube hardens I use a fired 35 Remington case with the head cut off as a cookie cutter and then run them throu the sizing die. They come out perfect. Some folks make a syringe type plunger to punch the boolit back out of the cutter but I don't know why. If its open at the top, just let the next one push it through.
I use a 300 win mag for all my .30's too but I did use a .3125 reamer on the inside of the neck because all my boolits fall on the large side of .311

In your case, ask around and find a fired 458 Winchester case. It's what I use.

Have fun, there's only one way to learn it for sure and you're gonna have to make a mess of things at least once. No shame in it. Anyone here who says they didn't get lube all over their first time is a liar. LOL

oscar669
03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
No. Its the lube in the groove that you want.

mdi
03-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Tumble lubed bullets - yes, lube works on bearing surfaces. Pan lubed bullets - no, lube need to fill the lube groove only.

For tumble lubing Lee recommends alox lubing before and after sizing, but that's only to simplify the process, bullets should be lubed with something before sizing and your alox is handy. I use my case lube to lube bullets prior to sizing, before tumble lubing.

After pan lubing, I run the bullets through the sizer and store...

7Acres
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
I lube them and size when still wet. Then they go into a ziplock bag. As they come into contact with the others in the bag they effectively get lube coated again after sizing. Then the bag is left open to air dry.

Charlie Two Tracks
03-07-2013, 03:20 PM
Welcome to the site tbogart. I size my boolits and then pan lube. I'm not talking about using alox. That is a different story. As you can see, there is more than one way to do things. You will have to find out what works for you. I am assuming that you are using a LEE sizer? I run my boolits base first into the LEE sizer. If the boolits are too large, running them in nose first will leave a skirt around the base of the boolit. You eliminate that by running them base first. I also use a cookie cutter to cut out my boolits.
After re reading your post, it sounds like you have a tumble lube design boolit. Is that correct

tbogart
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. To Charlie Two Tracks, no, I'm not using tumble lube type boolit. They just have one lube groove and yes, I am using a Lee sizer.

turmech
03-07-2013, 03:59 PM
I size before lubing. Like charlie said there more than one way.

I will add this, the reason I size then lube is because I like storing the bullets unlubed in plastic jars. I like to size shortly after casting (I have read different thought on this too). I pan lube as needed for loading. It is just about easier storage for me.

.22-10-45
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Hello, tbogart...and welcome to the forum! I think I understand what your concern is..the sizing is wiping the lube off the outside bearing surface of bullet? Not to worry, when the big light goes off..that lube will end up where it is supposed to! Welcome again, and best of luck.

tbogart
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Wow. All this information just brings up more questions. Will it hurt my Lee .452 sizer to size before lubing? Wish I had started this life time of new learning when I was MUCH younger.

turmech
03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
No it won't hurt your sizer. Many times unless you are just barley sizing some lubrication makes the process easier. You can use case lube, Pam, WD40 or any thing like that to lubricate for sizing if you choose to size before lube.

.22-10-45
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
It won't damage sizer..However...I nose first size with Corbin bullet reducing dies in a reloading press. Was sizing 55gr. .22 caliber rifle bullets cast from a diluted mix of steriotype & pure lead..a few points softer than straight lino. Now these had been moly coated with NECO moly..but had no additional lube. When these "dry" sized bullets were compared to moly coated & lubed sized bullets..the dry ones were same dia. but longer! The added friction must"stretch" the lead in sizing..probably on no concern in a handgun..but can play heck in match rifle loads!