PDA

View Full Version : Oversize Primer Hole

ncbearman
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
As I was de-capping my .45 Colt brass one of them was a little difficult and the decapping pin made an additional hole next to the existing one already there (without breaking the pin). So my question is; is there any reason not to use a case that has a double or oversized primer hole?

btw- punching paper only, no competition.

Russ

beagle
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd use it. No difference in two holes than from the oversize primer holes used in the .45 ACP non-toxic Winchester stuff and I use regular loads with them./beagle

44man
03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Tough call. Internal pressure against the primer might be too much.
I shot a lot of rubber bullets for fun and primer holes need drilled out with warnings to NEVER shoot regular bullet loads.

ncbearman
03-07-2013, 04:01 PM
Thats what I was wondering about. Especially in a revolver. I think it goes to the scrap brass can to be melted.

Tough call. Internal pressure against the primer might be too much.
I shot a lot of rubber bullets for fun and primer holes need drilled out with warnings to NEVER shoot regular bullet loads.

Horace
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Be safe retire it!

Horace

dmize
03-07-2013, 04:48 PM
I reloaded some of that Winchester "non toxic" **** brass.
I fired one case and there was a lot of difference in the way the primer looked than out of a regular case.
Good/bad/right or wrong it was my $1,200 Kimber and I trashed them all.

littlejack
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
I wouldn't risk it for only one piece of brass.

scattershot
03-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I don't know that a depriming pin would punch a hole in a brass case without breaking. Are you sure that you didn't get hold of a Berdan primed case?

ncbearman
03-08-2013, 01:29 PM
I knew this would happen. Berdan primed case I don't know what that is and I'm man enough to admit it :o They are made by AMERC which I wasn't really happy about once I got them. I have not had good luck with those in my 1911 but maybe as a revolver round it will be ok.

I don't know that a depriming pin would punch a hole in a brass case without breaking. Are you sure that you didn't get hold of a Berdan primed case?

Texantothecore
03-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I have punched through a case with a depriming tool without breaking it. Quite a surpise. I put it in the "Will trade for lead" bucket.

DaveCampbell
03-08-2013, 04:04 PM
Regarding the original question: Scrap it. If you ever load that case even a little warm, it could push the primer back enough to tie up the gun.

Re: Berdan primers--Berdan primers were invented by an American inventor, one Hiram Berdan. The primer has a cup and priming compound but no anvil. The anvil is in the primer pocket between two smaller flash holes. This priming system is almost universal in Europe. Interestingly, Boxer primers--invented by Englishman Edward Boxer--are more popular in America.

---------------------------------------------

A pen in the hand of this president is far more dangerous than a gun in the hands of 200 million law-abiding citizens.

markinalpine
03-08-2013, 04:05 PM
I reloaded some of that Winchester "non toxic" **** brass.
I fired one case and there was a lot of difference in the way the primer looked than out of a regular case.
Good/bad/right or wrong it was my $1,200 Kimber and I trashed them all.

On the other hand, the Winchester ammo website used to have a FAQ section with a comment that their Win-Safe (Full enclosed base bullets, lead free primer) cartridges, which have oversize primer holes, WAS safe to reload for normal use. I'll see if it's still up and report back.
Mark :coffeecom

The product is their Winclean line, with Brass Enclosed Base bullets, and lead free primers, to reduce lead exposure in in-door firing lines, and for people exposed to a lot of practice firing. Anyway, I can't find that FAQ about their over size primer holes. Maybe the Winchester lawyers had it removed.

ncbearman
03-08-2013, 05:56 PM
Re: Berdan primers--Berdan primers were invented by an American inventor, one Hiram Berdan. The primer has a cup and priming compound but no anvil. The anvil is in the primer pocket between two smaller flash holes. This priming system is almost universal in Europe. Interestingly, Boxer primers--invented by Englishman Edward Boxer--are more popular in America.

Thank you. I actually have seen some of that ammo and didn't know what I was looking at. I think it was some old .25acp boolits I shot or some steel case ammo, not sure but I have seen it with 2 small holes next to each other. This was not Berdan Primer. My good old carbide RCBS de-prime/size die punched a hole right in it. A lot of this AMERC .45 Colt , the primer hole is off center quite a bit.

scattershot
03-08-2013, 05:58 PM
dave nailed it. The Berdan primer has two flash holes, and if your brass is of foreign manufacture, it may have that priming system. Look inside a fired case, and it should be readily apparent. Good luck!

scattershot
03-08-2013, 06:00 PM
OOPS! cross post. I have heard negative comments on that brass before, and you might be wise to just scrap it.

44man
03-09-2013, 10:03 AM
I knew this would happen. Berdan primed case I don't know what that is and I'm man enough to admit it :o They are made by AMERC which I wasn't really happy about once I got them. I have not had good luck with those in my 1911 but maybe as a revolver round it will be ok.
OH MY, toss that stuff, it is the worst brass EVER. I had a friend shoot the stuff from his 45-70 and I tried to reload it, every single case cracked when I sized.
They were light CA loads and I would NEVER shoot heavy loads even if I could load them.