PDA

View Full Version : rossi 45 colt loads

bigted
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
my rossi is such a treat to shoot and recently i found my 350 and 406 grain moulds and casted up a few in each...the 406 grainers are .452 inch diameter with a long nose and ending in a nice flat point...the 350's are lyman 457122's with the hollowpoint pin clipped off so it is a solid weighing in rite around 350 grains but at the .458 inch diameter...my lee push thru fixed that tho with the .452 die.

question is...i looked in my hornaday manual and followed the lowest pistol loads using IMR 4227 powder in the colt with jacketed 300 grain bullets BUT...now im second thinking myself with this load...load is 18.5 grains powder. i think it should be ok but id like some input before i yank the trigger on em. i can always pull em and load another powder type or just lower the 4227.

what think yee? should be a singleshot thumper im bettin in this lite rifle. i know they wont run thru the action so i would single load em in the barrel. just wonderin if my thinkin about the 18.5 grain load makes sense to you?...thanks

joec
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I also have a Rossi 45 Colt but have never fired that heavy of bullet from it. I've shot a few Lee 300 gr but my favorite hunting load with it is Ranch Dog's 290 gr cast gas checked bullet with 25 grains for Lil'Gun. Now I would shot these in any hand gun in 45 Colt but the Rossi handles them fine. I do recommend getting some padding on the butt though as the steel plate will cure you of wanting to shot more. RD says they can go to 25.5 gr however I've found my gun likes them at 24.8 to 25.2 gr for best accuracy. Oh and these will kill up to a black bear at a reasonable range.

Nobade
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Seated to fit in the gun you won't be able to get enough 4227 in the case to hurt a Rossi.

After reading Paco Kelly I tried pretty hard to blow one up, but finally gave up after the recoil was more than I could take. Those are some strong rifles!

-Nobade

220swiftfn
03-08-2013, 03:42 AM
As alluded to by others, a Rossi '92 (in good, working order, natch) can handle those "Ruger ONLY" loads with aplomb. (possibly better than your shoulder can, if you have the crescent.....) Now, as to where your load is at, I have no clue, (just ask my wife, she'll tell you) but I can say that 17.5gr. IMR 4227 behind a 250gr cast was one of Petty's "pet loads" for the Colt SAA. (You're a grain higher and 100 grains heavier) So I'd be careful here...... Does anyone have a load program that might spit out some numbers???????

Dan

Larry Gibson
03-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Only problem with such loads (they did chamber the Rossi '92 for the Casull cartridge) is the cresent butt plate as mentioned and the mag tube is not threaded in (is on the Casull model and pinned more solidly too) so it may move out under recoil. Also my 24" barreled rifle has the 38" twist so if yours is the same stability could be an issue with those heavier longer bullets. Just advising you watch for that is all.

Larry Gibson

Buckshot
03-09-2013, 04:26 AM
http://www.fototime.com/68E891AD4F08210/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/744223B96FDE8AF/standard.jpg

...........Two neat heavy boolits for the 45 Colt. The photo on the left has the 340gr Lee seated out a bit further for my pistol. Right photo is seated for the my M92's. My copy of the Lee 457-340-F drops WW type alloy just a RCH over .457". I lube them (and the 292gr Lyman) in a .457" die then send them up through a Lee .452" die to load in the 45 Colt. My Japchester M92 rifle has a 16" twist and gobbles them up. My M92 Rossi (38" twist) is rather indifferent about them. Not 'wild', but not up to the Miroku's accuracy. I just fired some (457-340-F, 12.6 BHN sized .452") over 17.0grs of IMR4227 out of my old model Vaquero 7.5" bbl this past Tuesday. Avrg vel for 6 rounds was 895 fps. In the Miroku's 24" bbl they do 1172 fps.

..............Buckshot

bigted
03-11-2013, 12:51 PM
cool man...think ill pull em tho and start a bit low to see what happens then work up and watch for preassure signs or displaced clavical...whichever comes first.

thanks for all the answers and ill be sure to report back when i get the answers im seeking.

also i did not know about the lack of threads on the tube...good to know...thanks.

bigted
03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
well...shot em as loaded ! wowww did they kick...specially the 406 grain boolits. the recoil busted my marples tang sight and tryed to bust my dadgum finger. whewww got that outta my system so can move along with some more reassonable loads and boolits.

i have a marlin '95' 45-70 so dont really need this spiffy little carbine to be that powerfull. seems like it just came over me so i had to experiment...its over now till a hair gets sideways again for some ridiculass think or nother.