PDA

View Full Version : Lube hunt. need help.

A pause for the COZ
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Hey guys. I am looking to change the lube I use for pistol boolits. Currently I use 50/50 NRA formula. Works good and is easy to use with no heat.
Problem is when I try to use my two Hornady bullet feeders. Does not take too long to gum up the works.

So need a replacement, I have some Blue Angel lube that I have been pan lubing for some 30 cal rifle. This stuff is hard and would surely work.
Just not sure if it would lube as required at pistol pressures.
Whats a good med hard lube for pistols?

These would be for use in my Star luber and would need to upgrade to heat.

runfiverun
03-07-2013, 01:40 PM
you might want to use carnuba red COMMERCIAL lube it's less sticky.

for just a quick try and see type thing you could try misting the 50-50 lubed boolits with some rubbing alcohol.
this will quite often "skin over" the wax enough for the lube to take some handling without being gummy-tacky but let's it do it's job in the gun.

i have done this to carnuba red after lubing with it for better storage-handling.

A pause for the COZ
03-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I have tried that and also some of that white powder ( Crud cant remember what its called) Both ways do help but is not a solution.
Does not take much in the collet to gum it up.
Eventually I am going to get one of those MR bullet feeder dies. Bullets are held by ball bearings until dropped. Until then...
I will try some of that Carnuba Red. I can experiment with pan lubing until I find the right mix.

fecmech
03-07-2013, 05:19 PM
The Carnauba Red commercial should work. I used the CR with my handguns and pistol cal. rifles and it worked just fine but was too tacky for bulk storage. I cut it 50/50 with Magma hard lube and that took care of the stickies and accuracy is excellent and no leading. When I run out I plan on getting the CR "commercial" to replace it.

Bullshop
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
Lotak, its far less tacky than NRA thus the name low-tack and unless your room is too cold to be comfortable in with just a shirt on it will flow through a lubrisizer without added heat.

fryboy
03-09-2013, 09:13 AM
45/45/10 ...since you mentioned pistol velocities/pressures

yup heat will be needed for about any other recommendation i could make , of note such lubes rarely pan lube well , it can be done but the window for best extraction ( be it my fav of whack it crack it or kake kutting ) is quite a bit narrower and harder to find than with softer lubes . sadly storage and handling is one place where ye olde crayon lubes tend to fare best , i really really miss rooster labs and havent been able to re-create either of them yet CR commercial is close and blue angel solid is closer which is also currently on sale at midway
the mica takes some tack away but you already noticed it wasnt working for you leaving again the suggestion of a 45/45/10 ummm top coat ( or single lube for that matter ) rooster jacket would work as well for a top coat if you could manage to find a bottle of it

44man
03-09-2013, 10:33 AM
50-50 is a bare useful lube. Hard for revolvers is just not good. I use nothing but Felix anymore, both revolver and rifle. CR is good when harder is needed but messy shoots better from a revolver.
Glenn makes super lubes but he also has to sell what guys want and ask for.
Some want super clean boolits, others want accuracy.

Alan in Vermont
03-09-2013, 11:14 AM
50-50 is a bare useful lube.

Since that makes no sense, as written, I am assuming you meant "barely useful?

runfiverun
03-09-2013, 12:43 PM
he meant not really usefull.
i know how james feels about alox lubes.

A pause for the COZ
03-09-2013, 02:59 PM
I have some Carnuba Red red and BAC coming. Plus I have a heater for the Star on the way. Will see how those do.

cajun shooter
03-12-2013, 11:18 AM
The BAC is the best all around handgun lube that is sold by White label. In 38 spl with Clays powder it is very hard to have any smoke at all. The Carnuba Red is a little hard and will require some low heat to start. Be careful with your Star heater as it will turn it into a liquid real fast if turned up too high.
The lubes by Bullshop are also good to use as I use the NASA for all my shooting of BP and that other powder. If you use the Bullplate mould lube you may mix that with Beeswax for a lube called speedgreen that will answer many shooters lube problems.
I looked at your file to see where you live as that makes a huge difference when using lubes but I see you are not listed as to location. The reason is that there are many different ways to use all lubes but climate has a huge say so about how it is done. later David

Case Stuffer
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
WHite LAbel Lubes will be glad to send samples at a vey reasonable cost. BAC should work with little to no heating required bepending on the work area after all some realoading / casting /sizing areas are a nice comfy 70F and some are 50F and some over 100F.