PDA

View Full Version : Stock Inlay

Mike.44
03-07-2013, 05:53 AM
Anyone have a good method of putting inlays on a stock? I like some of the traditional moon, star, Cross inlays on old guns.

flintshooter
03-07-2013, 07:36 AM
Is this a gun your building with an unfinished stock or are you adding this to an already finished stock?

docone31
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Layout is first.
Then, with an Xacto knife, #11 blade, mark the outline of the piece to be inlayed.
File the edges of the inlay so they taper out. This helps on making a tight inlay.
With a graver sharpened to 26*, slowly cut the edge in, then remove material from the inside.
I use lipstick to mark the high spots, like inletting a barrel. Once I get it into place, I sand the stock and inlay together, prior to engraving.
That is about it. I engrave the screws, or nails to hold the inlay after it is in place.

flintshooter
03-07-2013, 10:05 AM
What docone said, only thing I would add is anneal the inlay (brass anyway) first and it will be easier to make it conform to any curves in the stock.

Mike.44
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks guys. This would be on a finished stock.

flintshooter
03-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Ok, get the inlay in as best you can by removing the material behind it and lightly peening to any curve of the stock, this is where the annealing helps by making the inlay softer. Only peen on the inlay. This will require less sanding of the area and also be less likely to change the landscape of the stock. This will save you alot trying to match a large area when refinishing. Take your time and check the fit often.

KCSO
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
63371For doing stars i made a special chisel that is triangular and sharpened on both edges. For flattng the bottoms of the inlet I use a bent chisel and a scraper. The time you take to use the right tools willl show in the job. it doesn't require a whole lot of money or talent to gring up and harden the proper toools for the job.

waksupi
03-07-2013, 12:45 PM
I do all of my inlay work with an Exacto knife, and a 3/8" skew chisel.

ken s
03-12-2013, 08:21 AM
cut the wood at an angle outward, cut the inlay at an angle inward. the harder you push, the tighter the fit becomes.. epoxy with a clamp, then buff the two together.
you should see nothing, and feel nothing when done.
I like the dremel for the basic cut, then hand cut the rest. Ken

Doc Highwall
03-12-2013, 12:06 PM
A friend of mine when he inlays brass scroll in to the stock, files a sharp edge on the sheet of brass then cuts the strip off the sheet.

gnoahhh
03-15-2013, 03:34 PM
I just lay the inlay where I want it and beat it into the wood with a five pound hammer.:D

(kidding)