PDA

View Full Version : Intentionally shooting a chronograph

Mk42gunner
03-07-2013, 05:08 AM
I have seen several threads in the last few months about people accidentally shooting their chronograph. Usually followed by "there are two types of chrony owner: those that have shot thier chrony, and those that will." Or variations of the phrase.

I haven't managed to shoot mine yet, maybe the very next time I use it??

Anybody else ever feel like just shooting one and getting the wait over with?

Robert

btroj
03-07-2013, 07:56 AM
No.
There are actually THREE classes of people. Those who will, those who have, and those who will again.
Intentionally shooting one now may just move you to the again group.

x101airborne
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
If you read the directions with the chrony, it should make a reference to placing some hi vis tape about half way down the rods. If you never allow your horizontal crosshair to go below the tape, you SHOULD never shoot your chrony. I have used this for years with great success. Now my brother in law decided to shoot my tape, but that just required a new rod.

reloaderman
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm one of the "done that" group. I never wanted to, but it was asking for it !

Kull
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
No.
There are actually THREE classes of people. Those who will, those who have, and those who will again.
Intentionally shooting one now may just move you to the again group.

So true, and obviously you don't want to end up in the last category.

If you want to get it out of your system find someone that has already shot theirs and shoot it again. Otherwise swap out the metal rods for wooden dowels, mark them in the middle with some tape, and triple check your setup when using a rifle. Really minimizes your chances of doing any damage unless you just flat out screw up.

shredder
03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
Maybe if I found the number aggrivating enough, I might lash out with a chunk of lead! So far though, my chrony seems to know it's place so I just shoot over top of it. I know a couple of fellows who swear the chronograph is lying as they just KNOW that thier handloads are going many hunderds of fps faster than indicated. "Chrony is junk, my loads are way over that number!" Is a quote from my last encounter with these guys. When they are at the range, I back out slow and go home.

Chicken Thief
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
If someone pays i'll shoot'em all day long ;)

Umpteen yrs ago i killed mine with a 22-250.
The bullet just lightly grased the front and fragments tore the back part to pieces.
The guy in the gun shop laughed so hard he nearly cried and gave me a big discount on a new one if he could keep the "kill" for display.

One chrono later i always check for the 2" difference in height.

DeanWinchester
03-07-2013, 12:20 PM
Intentionally? Yep I did it.

I had a Shooting Chrony ( they suck!) that gave €rap readings. Shooting through it from 20 feet away mine was clocking a 147g jhp over 5.3g of AA# 5 @ 3,000 fps out of a Glock 19. Dang I'm awesome!!!

Anyway, got tired of it one day and let loose the reins of my temper. It's incredible what a 325g flat point boolit @ about 1400 fps from a .45 colt blackhawk will do to a plastic and sheet metal Chrony. Took several minutes to pick up all the pieces. Later I regret not sending it in for repair but in the moment I felt the sweet taste of vindication that only comes from breaking something that is pissing you off.

scarry scarney
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
I havent shot mine "yet," but I did knock it over from the muzzle blast from a Desert Eagle 50AE. Things went flying when I touched that thing off.

Kull
03-08-2013, 12:25 AM

I had a Shooting Chrony ( they suck!) that gave €rap readings. Shooting through it from 20 feet away mine was clocking a 147g jhp over 5.3g of AA# 5 @ 3,000 fps out of a Glock 19. Dang I'm awesome!!!

Anyway, got tired of it one day and let loose the reins of my temper. It's incredible what a 325g flat point boolit @ about 1400 fps from a .45 colt blackhawk will do to a plastic and sheet metal Chrony. Took several minutes to pick up all the pieces. Later I regret not sending it in for repair but in the moment I felt the sweet taste of vindication that only comes from breaking something that is pissing you off.

Had an Alpha Master and it sucked. Mine died a similar death, although less brutal at the hands of a 250g LRNFP at 900 fps and not on purpose. I keep it around so the new chrony is constantly reminded what might happen if it doesn't play nice.

220swiftfn
03-08-2013, 02:51 AM

My FIL has a cartoon on his computer desk, showing a duck with a sledge hammer about to "get medieval" on a computer....... I can say that I relate to that.....

Dan

Catshooter
03-08-2013, 09:04 PM
I used my first Chrony for ten years before I shot it. Executed a perfect trigger jerk on my 45 and centered it with a 255 grain Keith boolit. Both screens. I even killed the battery. Heh.

Bought a new one and it told me that the load I hit the last Chrony with was doing over four thousand feet from my pistol, so I sent it in for repair. Bought another so now I have two. They're sure handy.

Cat