PDA

View Full Version : Thermometer

Denver
08-12-2007, 09:43 AM
Anyone still using their Harbor Freight digital thermometer? I bought one and have never tried it out. Also forgot which thermocouple to get for it. :confused: I'd appreciate it if someone can put me on the right track.

Thanks, Denver

VTDW
08-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Does it read at high enough temperatures for casting?

melw
08-12-2007, 03:55 PM
All of this info is on this forum. I have searched and found it before I got mine.
The one you want is the SKU#92242.
Good from -58 to 2000 degrees.
It comes with a thermocouple that will work. If you want more the replacement SKU#is 26174. I asked at my local store and they did not have it. Willhave to call the 800 #. 800 444 3353.
Mel W.

montana_charlie
08-12-2007, 07:31 PM
The Harbor Freight website does not recognize either of those SKU's...
CM

melw
08-12-2007, 08:15 PM
The Harbor Freight website does not recognize either of those SKU's...
CM
Sorry I forgot to say in store item only.
The store here did not have the extra thermocouples they have to be orarded from the parts 800number.
I payed $25.00 for mine.
Mel W.

Denver
08-12-2007, 10:16 PM
As I recall, the thermocouples used were bought from someone on EvilBay. I 've forgotten which type it was.

AZ-Stew
08-16-2007, 03:56 PM
I was the one who originally posted about this thermometer about a year ago (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?p=102784#post102784)(photo included). I have one and it works very well. My biggest complaint is that it automatically shuts itself off after 10 minutes if you don't press any of the control buttons during that time. It's also defaulted to start in degrees C, so after you turn it on you have to push another button to set it for degrees F. These are minor irritations that I wish I could change. Otherwise, it's a good tool.

As noted above, Harbor Freight part numbers are:

Thermometer: 92242 (occasionally found on sale for $25-26)

Replacement Thermocouple: 26174 (less than $2 each)

The thermometer is a store-only item. It's not available for sale from the web site. The spare thermocouples will not be found in the store, but can be ordered from their parts department at the 1-800 number.

Some other users have bought thermocouples (through e-bay) that are shielded by stainless steel tubing for use in the casting pot. I use the one that comes with the thermometer as-is. The cover braiding discolors from the heat, but there is no effect on operation. One warning: Don't leave the thermocouple in the pot when you turn it off. The shrinkage and expansion of the casting alloy as it cools and reheats for the next session will damage the thermocouple and result in false and irratic readings. The tubing-shielded thermocouples are probably immune to this.

The thermometer has advantages over the dial types that are sold as casting thermometers. It's more accurate and does not require periodic calibration to maintain accuracy. If its readings are suspect, it can be quickly checked using an ice cube and a cup of boiling water. Reading the temps from those two items will give you a quick check. If they're way out of whack, replace the thermocouple and readings should come back into tolerance.

Regards,

Stew

OBXPilgrim
08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
I bought one in our local HF store after the initial post - that thing works great.

Mine comes back on set to °F if I turn it on before it sits more than a few seconds.

I took a piece of brake line tubing, pinched off the end, put the thermocouple in, bent it to fit over the side of the pot - works great.

Denver
08-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I bought one in our local HF store after the initial post - that thing works great.

Mine comes back on set to °F if I turn it on before it sits more than a few seconds.

I took a piece of brake line tubing, pinched off the end, put the thermocouple in, bent it to fit over the side of the pot - works great.

That sounds like a great idea. I use a pot on a gas burner and the heat and flame would burn the insulation off the wire without some way to protect it I think. I'll give that a try.

Thanks,:-D

Sundogg1911
08-17-2007, 03:59 PM
I use the hell outta mine. I used the thermocouple that came with it (the wire one) epoxyed inside of a dipstick heater tube with a wooden dowel rod handle. (I had a dipstick oil hreater that I got as a gift and never used) It works great. I checked the calibration in my hot tub against an IR thermometer and the jacuzzi thermometer. all 3 read the same. [smilie=1: It also comes up within a degree or two from the PID controller that I have on my Lee Pot. I highly recomend a PID controller on the Lee's and you don't even need the thermometer. My Magma pot stays right on temperature so I don't have a need for a PID (Temp. controller) on it, other than to make sure it's up to temp. to start casting. :drinks:

ranger4440
09-02-2007, 08:28 PM
Just got mine from HF for $20 plus tax. Works great. Glad I saw this post before I bought one of the dial types. Never would have guessed I was running the temp so high when smelting wheel weights. Now to calibrate my Wage pot when I start casting.