PDA

View Full Version : .30 Cal Shooters - Ballisti-Cast Resurrecting the H&G #20 (170 grn GC Spitzer)

Bigslug
03-06-2013, 11:09 PM
Which looks like this: http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/20_2.jpg

I've been kicking e-mails back and forth with Derek Roppel at Ballisti-Cast about the possibility of bringing this one back for the last couple weeks. B.C. no longer had the original blueprint on file, so Derek managed TO TRACK AN ORIGINAL H&G DOWN that the owner was willing to loan so they could scan/copy it. I'll be ordering a 4 cavity version which Derek estimates it will take about 4-6 months to get caught up before they can run.

Got to admire a guy who will actively hunt down a mold from a single inquiry so the old classics don't fade into obscurity. This will be my first Ballisti-Cast mold. With service like this, I have a feeling where this is going to end up.:happy dance:

.22-10-45
03-07-2013, 01:03 AM
It's good to see that old friend resurrected! That has proven to be the most accurate bullet in an 1898 Krag rifle & 1903 Spfg.

madsenshooter
03-07-2013, 01:27 AM
I had one for awhile, still have some of the bullets around. In my limited experience, compared to the B&M 311169, another maker's version of the Squibb, the Hensley (mine was an old one with the extra band on front, I would guess to fit a Krag throat better) didn't group as good, and was wilder at high velocity. The one you've pictured however should be about the same as the 311169 or Lyman's 311413, which is to say real accurate with the right velocity. Here's a pic of George's early version, the front band disappeared before the 1941 catalog I think. B&M311169 left, early Hensley #20 right. I'd guess the early version was made circa 1937-1940.

PAT303
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
What sizes?,if he makes a .316 I'll put money down for one. Pat

Texasflyboy
03-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Which looks like this: http://hgmould.gunloads.com/molds/20_2.jpg

It looks like that mould because that is the mould I loaned him to re-create the design.

Hope you guys enjoy it. Happy to have helped.

Tom

Bigslug
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Thanks Tom! Derrick mentioned your forum handle in our e-mail correspondence, and your website has been bookmarked on my PC for several months now. I'd be grateful for your work even if I wasn't after this particular mold, but as it is -->:drinks:

I'm actually quite tickled by this. I don't think I've ever gotten to be an active part of firearms history before. HEEE!