PDA

View Full Version : 44 Mag Desert Eagle and cast

nighthunter
03-06-2013, 09:10 PM
Has anyone tried shooting cast in their Desert Eagle 44 Mag? How did it function and perform? Did you have any leading problems or bad experiences? I don't want to hear what the mfr. says. Please only respond with your personal experience.

Nighthunter

khmer6
03-07-2013, 12:49 AM
Isn't it gas operated? Something to consider. I have no clue how the system works or if lead would clog it

FLINTNFIRE
03-07-2013, 02:46 AM
When I had a 44 desert eagle , shot it with cast , had no problems , used a good heavy load , and it functioned fine . Never had any problems with lead reloads , did not solder anything or foul it with carbon , like they say.
Cleaned after use like any of my other guns , gas operated or otherwise , sold them off as they were not my preference , other then that they worked fine with my lead loads.

Apocalypse
03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
I've fired a lot of soft exposed lead bullets in both .357 and .44 Desert Eagles. No problems that weren't also encountered previously with FMJ ammo. I'm planning to go the hard cast boolit route but have not done so yet. I am expecting no difference, so long as thorough cleaning is done.

ebner glocken
03-07-2013, 03:10 PM
I have a couple of eagles. One in 41, the other in 50. The 41 was bought for way less than market value due to it being compleatly clogged with lead fouling. I'm not sure how many rounds of soft lead was fired in it but seeing it after the fact I know it CAN happen. If one used common sense and cleaned frequently it may not be much of a problem. I can tell you if you do pack it up good a couple of weeks submerged in Kroil will make your life much easier. Mostly what I shoot in the 50 is rainier plated, the 41 gets jacketed.

Ebner

big dale
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
I had one for a couple of years back in the late 1980's. It didn't lead any worse than anything else when using hard cast boolits. I hated the stiff springs in the magazines, so I only kept it for a couple of years. It was a very accurate handgun. I am still shoooting the Super Blackhawk I had back then. I have been enjoying shooting Ruger single action revolvers since the mid 60's and will continue to do so for as long as I am alive.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

dmize
03-07-2013, 11:20 PM
I have a 50 AE and I look at it like this.
Magnum Research says NOT to shoot cast bullets.
John Taffin says not to shoot cast.
It takes a while to shoot 500 rounds out of my behemoth.
And I dont care what anyone on the internet says its MY hand around and my head behind AND MY $1,000 sitting in that big SOB,so I shoot Raniers or Hornady bullets out of it.
And FWIW its not barrel leading thats the issue,its lead clogging the gas ports.

big dale
03-08-2013, 06:51 AM
Dmize: Sorry for the confusion, but the gas port leading was so slight it was not worth mentioning. I also consider the barrel leading to be very minor. I hope everyone else's is as accurate as mine was.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

dmize
03-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I guess I should appologise for steering away from OP's question.
And FWIW my AE is one of the most accurate handguns I have ever pulled a trigger on.

Lloyd Smale
03-09-2013, 08:32 AM
buddy shot 1000s of lead bullets out of his 50ae and still does. he said the trick to it is hard lead and hard lube. soft lubes may lube better but they leave to much behind. as to it being dangerous about the worse thing thats going to happen if the gas system plugs up is its going to get unreliable.
I have a 50 AE and I look at it like this.
Magnum Research says NOT to shoot cast bullets.
John Taffin says not to shoot cast.
It takes a while to shoot 500 rounds out of my behemoth.
And I dont care what anyone on the internet says its MY hand around and my head behind AND MY $1,000 sitting in that big SOB,so I shoot Raniers or Hornady bullets out of it.
And FWIW its not barrel leading thats the issue,its lead clogging the gas ports.

44man
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
buddy shot 1000s of lead bullets out of his 50ae and still does. he said the trick to it is hard lead and hard lube. soft lubes may lube better but they leave to much behind. as to it being dangerous about the worse thing thats going to happen if the gas system plugs up is its going to get unreliable.
This is true. The problem is getting into that gas port. My friends have them, super shooters but I wonder how they made that gas hole?
I would not be afraid to shoot what Lloyd said.

Sasquatch-1
03-09-2013, 09:04 AM
I have a first gen DE in .44 mag. At the velocities that I have to load to and using streight wheel weight lead, I have found the the bullet doesn't have time to grip the rifling. Out of fifty rounds you could count the ones that hit the target nose first on one hand. This is at 25 yds or less. Granted I have never slugged the barrel and the bullets shot were sized to the standard .429.

Can't say I experienced any leading in the barrel or the ports. I always clean it after every range trip.

I bit the bullet (pun intended) and purchased swaging equipment just to load for the DE. It was expensive but so was the gun.