PDA

View Full Version : Taurus Millinium Pro

Jim
08-12-2007, 06:54 AM
I saw a used Taurus Millinium .45 auto yesterday. I think the model is PT145, but I'm not sure. Anywho, it was tagged at $309 and I asked the smith to show it to me. Light weight, 10 rounds, so far, so good. Then I asked him to take it apart for me. He had to mess with it to get it apart and then he had to fight with it to get it back together.
I confess, I'm biased. I've never seen anybody that KNOWS HOW to strip and reassemble autos fight with a Colt or a Ruger.
The guy's supposed to be a smith and do light service work and repairs. Is this fighting the dang thing back together a red flag about the quality of the pistol or is he just 10 thumbed? I don't wanna sink 3 and change in it and then be cussin' it every time I strip it for cleaning.
By the way, I just put a post on the Shooter's board about in house warranties on used guns. This is the same guy. Ya' might wanna read that post.

Swagerman
08-12-2007, 07:30 AM
I've got an Egyptian Helwan 9 mm pistol that is a bear to put back together. But it is a good shooter, quite heavy handgun which soaks up any recoil.

They based it on the Beretta Brigadier model.

The problem is getting the barrel to set properly in the slide and be able to attach the slide back onto the pistol's frame. Everything has to fit perfect or it don't fit back together. :mrgreen:

Jim

Bret4207
08-12-2007, 07:56 AM
If he was unfamiliar with the gun then I would expect him to fumble a bit. I've seen guys spend 20 minutes trying to put a Marlin 39 back together, and 20 minutes trying to get a 1911 apart. Check the Taurus site or owners manual for take down instructions. It may or may not be one of those guns thats a bear to assemble. BTW- If it's the one I'm thinking of, it's a nice little gun.

BD
08-12-2007, 09:32 AM
When Taurus first came out with the PT145s I knew 3 guys who bought them. Their price, size and mag capacity made them very attractive. None of those early pistols made the 500 round mark. This was about 5 or 6 years ago IIRC.
BD

lastmanout
08-12-2007, 11:54 AM
This little pistol has a poor reputation for reliablity. If it ever was fixed, I don't know. I would hold out for a glock, ruger, etc. They can sometimes be found used near that price range (calibers 9mm and 40). I feel the first proirity of a firearm is to function, then we can move on to the finer things. Regards, Tim:Fire:

MT Gianni
08-12-2007, 04:54 PM
The problems on the early ones were reportedly fixed. I have a PT111 Millenium in 9mm that has had 250 rds through it with out a hiccup. All but 50 of these were cast reloads. Supposedly the "pro" denotes the upgrades from the factory. I bought it as a pocket pistol and will not carry it until it gets another 500 rds through it but for the price of a concelable 3" [$269 from a dealer friend, new] I think I did OK so far. Take down can be a pain if you don't get the push-pull exactly right, it ain't a 1911. Gianni

justing
04-17-2013, 02:49 PM
i like my 111pro about 400 rounds through her and not a problem and she likes reloads.

bhuch5
04-22-2013, 03:27 AM
I have the PT140 mil-pro and really like it lots. Take down not an issue once you have done it. 1000+ cast handloads and not an issue. Did I say that I really like it? Alternate between 709 slim and PT140 for ccw. Bruce H