PDA

View Full Version : It only takes a second of stupidity

Guardian
03-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Let me begin by saying that nothing was damaged and no one was hurt by my lapses in judgement. I've had two incidents within a couple days of each other and if it helps someone else not do the same thing or reminds someone to pay attention and think through each step, then it's worth a little embarrassment on my part.

Incident 1: Sunday night I was annealing 9mm cases for use in my forthcoming 40 cal one step die. I'm like a kid at Christmas waiting for the dies to get here. Excited is an understatement. I was using a method I saw posted here, nails into a 2x4, cases inverted on the nails, and a propane torch to heat the case heads. I was doing pretty well with the light on over my reloading bench, the rest of the garage lights turned out, and me positioned between the reloading bench and the annealing operation, working in my shadow to see when the cases turned dull red. I was putting the cases on the block, checking the primers for strikes, then proceeding. After taking a break, I decided that I would leave the door to the garage from the kitchen open, with the kitchen lights on, and leave the light over the reloading bench off so it would be a little easier to see when the cases turned dull red. On the first batch of 20 cases after my break, there was an explosion and my ears were ringing. I had forgotten to check the PRIMERS! I have no idea how there was a live primer in the bucket I was working out of, but there certainly was. In leaving the light out over the reloading bench, I had removed my source of light for checking the primers for strikes and in my haste to get back to work, I skipped a step. I will say it caused quite a stir in the household. The primer was ejected from the case and became a projectile, but I have no idea where it went.

Silver Lining: I learned my dogs do react to abnormal noises. I'd begun to think they'd sleep through anything. My wife cares enough to get out of bed and come check on me! Both are good things to know. :)

Incident 2: Last night I was working on annealing and cleaning more 9mm cases for my forthcoming die set! I had rinsed all of the cases I had annealed after they were removed from the citric acid solution. To speed up drying, I put them in a stainless steel basket and put them over the kerosene heater in the garage. I shake the basket occasionally to redistribute the heated cases and get the cooler ones shuffled down. While waiting on them to dry, I emptied the tumbler of the ones from the previous day's effort. They were gorgeous! Bright, shiny, and slick; just the result I was looking for. I had left the tumbler running overnight and turned it off on my way out the door to work, so they had been in there for 8 or 9 hours. I use #40 corncob media from Grainger loaded with a capful of mineral spirits and a little Nufinish. It was late and I was ready to get the next batch going so I grabbed the basket and dumped the mostly dry cases into the tumbler and media. Smoke (or maybe steam) started wafting from the media......****......forgot that cooling step after taking them off the heater. So much for going to bed soon. Fortunately there was no fire, but it had me worried for a few minutes. It was at this point I realized my fire extinguisher is rated for B and C fires, not A. I'm glad I didn't need it, but I'll be getting an appropriately rated one today.

Again, thankfully no injuries and no damage, but it's something to think about. I swear I'm not stupid :oops: but this post is sure to make some wonder......

Hopefully, this inspires others and helps someone.

zuke
03-06-2013, 08:17 PM
Get more sleep and take your time

Whiterabbit
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Thank you for writing that. Always good to read close calls as a reminder to be safe. Glad to hear these were only close calls.

km101
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
One thing to keep in mind: Murhpy was an optimist! You have to think ahead.

Glad there was no real problem!

wcavasos
03-06-2013, 09:20 PM
As lackadaisical as I have allowed myself to get because of reloading while tired I am surprised I have gotten away unscathed. I have recently started taking my sweet time on my dillon 550 because I have had two misfires while shooting my 9mm reloads which had yet to happen. I later found out that I had loaded them with small rifle primers. This happened because I went from reloading 6.8spc to reloading 9mm twice. My primer pickup tube drops all but the last primer picked up into the primer feed of the machine. I usually remember to pay attention to these things but have failed to notice twice. I am lucky that is all that happened. By the way, thank you for sharing. We should all embarrass ourselves for this reason more often.

Lizard333
03-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Why do they make those primers the same size?? It would have been a lot easier on us if they were just big enough NOT to fit the pistol brass!!

Thetraveler
03-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I think you know why Lizard :) they make 4 primers for pistol and rifle well 6 if you count in magnum 8 if you count in competition. by making small pistol and small rifle the same and large pistol and large rifle the same they can make all 8 from 2 forms and 2 stampings. Saves them a bunch on setup and manufacturing cost.