PDA

View Full Version : scope mounts

Russell James
08-12-2007, 03:32 AM
Fellas I have a dilemma! I have 2 family hierloom .22 cal rifles that I would dearly like to mount a scope on either of them without drilling and tapping them.
I have a spare scope with rings etc.Both of the rifles are in excellent condition and are a pleasure for myself and the kids to shoot but would be better if I could see what Im shooting at! I have already checked B Square.
The rifles are as follows: Model 59 22 short Winchester single shot rifle[USA patented Aug 29 1899]
:Modele 1912 Fabrique National .22 cal single shot rifle[Brevette SGDC].
Can anyone help me out?
Regards Russell James

Bret4207
08-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Perfect application for some Weaver base stock and Brownells Accraglass. Find a good spot to mount the base, clean action and base with solvent to get rid of grease, apply Accraglass and clamp. In 24 hours mount scope and shoot. If you get good adhesion it should stand normal handling fine. When you want it off apply a hot air gin to frame or barrel, not mount, and it should come off.

leftiye
08-12-2007, 02:53 PM
Polychoke adhesive would be good too. Nothing else would work IMHO. If you can't drill and tap it, you surely don't want to modify it to use a barrel block that clamps around the barrel!

Junior1942
08-12-2007, 03:36 PM
I'd leave those two as-is and buy another rifle if you must have a scope. Used 22 rifles are cheap.

Russell James
08-12-2007, 08:45 PM
Thanks fellas,that has helped me a lot.While the rifles are old the headache in Aus to buy either 2nd hand or new is so very painful and restrictive ,which is why I looked at "scoping" either of the two rifles mentioned.
Once again thanks Russell James.
P.S. Whilst on the subject does anyone know anything about these 2 rifles?
I would be keen to know.