PDA

View Full Version : Magma molds

doulos
03-06-2013, 03:13 PM
I just ordered a Master Caster and a sizer from Magma. They are about 12-14 weeks out right now. Ive been looking at which molds to get with it. Has any body used their flat base molds? Is there any advantage to bevel base besides making the reloading process a bit easier. Ive shot thousands of .45acp 200 gr swc with a bevel base from various cast bullet sources and have wondered if there is much difference between the two styles. I would think there might be a slight advantage to a flat base in a bit higher velocity cartridge. My thinking being there would be less blow by chance than a bevel base. Is this thinking flawed?

Wilson
03-06-2013, 03:38 PM
I run bevel base 9mm from Lymans 147 grain mold and 125 grain flat base from a Lee mold. I see no difference for USPSA or Steel Challenge. I just order a Master Caster last week. They told me that most folks are running the bevel base bullets and that there is no difference in accuracy. So I ordered two BB molds.

mktacop
03-06-2013, 03:41 PM
Personally, I've shot .45 SWCs with both plain and bevel bases and cannot tell the difference between the two. The bevel bases do make reloading a tad easier though. I have both plain and bevel based molds for the Master Caster and can tell no difference casting them either.

BTW, you'll like the Master Caster. :bigsmyl2:

ReloaderFred
03-06-2013, 04:41 PM
I personally like flat base bullets better, but I also cast lots and lots of bevel base bullets on my Master Caster. I prefer the longer bearing surface of the flat base bullets, especially on small bullets. I can't tell any difference on target with either of them, so whatever you feel like buying is probably going to be your best choice.

Hope this helps.

Fred

wymanwinn
03-06-2013, 04:57 PM
i cast both bevel and flat base bullets from my MC...the MC doesn't really care.....i prefer the flat base in pure lead for my black powder loads. BUT the bevel base load easier.....

wyman

Powersgt
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
I use BB molds in my auto casters. Flat Base bullets have a habit of sticking more. If any of you need molds, I have several duplicates and some that I have had repairs done to. Usually the top surface gets worn if the caster leaves the spru plate to tight and does not lubricate it often. I plan on putting a list together later when I get time to breathe a little.
V/R

Jeff

mktacop
03-07-2013, 09:16 AM
I use BB molds in my auto casters. Flat Base bullets have a habit of sticking more. If any of you need molds, I have several duplicates and some that I have had repairs done to. Usually the top surface gets worn if the caster leaves the spru plate to tight and does not lubricate it often. I plan on putting a list together later when I get time to breathe a little.
V/R

Jeff

I'd definitely like to see the list when you get it together.

HATCH
03-07-2013, 09:20 AM
It depends on what you are sizing them with.
If you are using a Lyman 45 (or something like it) that sizes base first then you will want a flat base.
Most people that have master casters also have star sizers and run BB molds.
All of my Magma molds are BB type molds.

As far as BB vs FB - the target knows no difference.. its just easier to put the boolit in the case with a BB.

MT Chambers
03-07-2013, 07:14 PM
My experience has been that BB bullets have not been as accurate as PB and are harder to lube/size on Lyman or RCBS lubesizers. I don't/won't use BB designs for myself but i make 'em for others.

No_1
03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
All my Master Caster molds are bevel base. All my hand casting molds are flat based. I see no accuracy difference. I guess they should be easier to load but never noticed because I bell my cases to accommodate. Does one have an advantage over the other? Who knows. For those that think there is a difference take a moment to ponder this: Manufacturers only produce and sale things which make money. People only purchase things that work. BB molds have been manufactured and sold for a loooooooooong time. Prices run about the same as flat based molds. If either were inferior to the other we should see a noticeable price difference but we don't. Nuff said?

angus6
03-07-2013, 11:08 PM
Jeff I'd also like to see a list if you have sets of 8

fredj338
03-08-2013, 02:41 PM
I've shot lots of both, cast lots of both on my MasterCaster. It's really personal pref IMO. My go to mold for the 45acp is Magma's 200grTCFB. It feeds smoothly in anything from my 1911s, XDs or M625 w/ moon clips.

Powersgt
03-13-2013, 01:55 AM
Jeff I'd also like to see a list if you have sets of 8

Sorry angus, I only have bits and pieces of sets, I run a couple auto casters for business. Theys would only be molds that I have had repaired, cleaned up or excess. When I catch up on orders I will have to sit down and make a list.

HATCH, I owe you a picture but haven't had time between day job and casting business.

wyattjames
03-13-2013, 04:42 PM
my understanding of the bevel base is that you have less chance of shaving the bullet as it is seated in the brass ,thus you dont have to bell the mouth of the casing as much ,

HATCH
03-14-2013, 12:02 PM
HATCH, I owe you a picture but haven't had time between day job and casting business.

no worries.. We all got a life