PDA

View Full Version : Digital scale reccomendation for weighing bullets only

quack1
03-06-2013, 01:41 PM
Now that I'm retired and don't have access to laboratory balances to weigh bullets, I need to get an inexpensive digital balance. (for weighing bullets only). I have a beam scale for powder, but it is too slow for bullets. I'm looking for one that is hopefully under $25 or $30. Accuracy within a couple tenths of a grain will do. Years of segregating bullets to .1gr showed me that +, - a couple tenths doesn't mean anything to my guns and eyes, even with 22 cal. bullets
What scales do you guys use, and how do you like them?

Chili
03-06-2013, 01:52 PM
I have a Pact that I use for both bullets and powder. I like it a lot.

milrifle
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
I use a Hornady battery operated model. It's OK. It does sometimes get off by a couple of tenths. I think it is probably temperature related. It was about $30 at my local gun store. Probably less on line. Scale of 1-10? I'd give it a 7.

uscra112
03-07-2013, 04:18 AM
I finally figured out how to "factory reboot" my Pact, and now I'm pleased with it. Not a $25 scale, but as one retired metrologist to another, the instability of cheap ones will drive you mad. One that I bought off evilBay a few years ago would not hold zero for more than a minute.

P.K.
03-07-2013, 06:13 AM
I use a Hornady battery operated model. It's OK. It does sometimes get off by a couple of tenths. I think it is probably temperature related. It was about $30 at my local gun store. Probably less on line. Scale of 1-10? I'd give it a 7.

Same here, Hornady GS-1500, a member had a few for sale here not too long ago.

rintinglen
03-07-2013, 06:25 AM
I have one of the Midway cheapies. It seems to work ok, but because it actually wighs in grams and then the microprocessor converts the reading to grains, sometimes you'll have a situation where in it reads something like 110.1 grns, 110.2 grns, 110.2 grns, 110.4 grns. You go through the whole pile o boolits and never find one that reads 110.3.
Doesn't bother me, but if you are used to better, it may bug you.

pdawg_shooter
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
I have had a Pact since they first came out. Works great and I use mine for powder too. Calibrate when I start and check against my Redding balance beam scale one in a while. Always right on for me.

Beesdad
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I finally figured out how to "factory reboot" my Pact, and now I'm pleased with it. Not a $25 scale, but as one retired metrologist to another, the instability of cheap ones will drive you mad. One that I bought off evilBay a few years ago would not hold zero for more than a minute.
I am having problems with my Pact ... What is the steps to complete a "factory reboot"

1Shirt
03-07-2013, 08:23 PM
Bought my Hornady on ebay for 20.00 about 5 yrs ago.
1Shir!

prs
03-07-2013, 09:10 PM
I have Hornady elCheap-O. It has error related to run time or warm-up.

prs

Bigslug
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
My dad bought a Dillon D-Terminator the better part of 20 years ago, and it's still running fine. Accurate, reliable, and runs on plug or battery.

nhrifle
03-08-2013, 01:12 AM
The Frankford Arsenal scale works pretty well, done a bunch of loading with it, checked it with a better scale, I'm happy with mine.

Mike W1
03-08-2013, 09:47 AM
I am having problems with my Pact ... What is the steps to complete a "factory reboot"

Likely depends on which model you have. I have an older BBK and have the sequence for that. If you want it PM me.

captaint
03-08-2013, 07:49 PM
I, too, bought a cheapie from Sinclair. Figured if Sinclair sold it, it works. It does, works well. I only have ever used it for boolits. That's what I got it for. Still use the beam scale for powder. Guess I'm old
school... Mike

Cadillo
03-09-2013, 05:05 AM
Just a tip. I've learned to keep the cell phone on the other side of the room, or else mine goes nuts. Otherwise it's accurate to less than a 10th of a grain. I no longer have the patience for a balance beam scale, though some of the older ones are neat to look at.

dromia
03-09-2013, 05:30 AM
My Pact along with its powder dispensing combo has served me well over the years, easy to set up, holds calibration well and seems accurate when checked with check weights.

jsteed
03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
I just received the low priced Frankford yesterday and checked it out with some factory bullets (seirra and Hornady).Very satisfied............it revealed a variance of a few tenths which I expected. Should work fine for cast bullets when I get started.

Dale53
03-09-2013, 01:14 PM
One thing I've not seen mentioned in this thread. Digital scales really need to warm up before they are stable. I have an RCBS (made by Pact) and a Lyman. I have them on house current and leave them plugged in all the time - they are always ready to go and are stable.

FWIW
Dale53

montana_charlie
03-09-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a 'jeweler's scale' found on eBay for less than twenty bucks.
It only displays tenths of a grain in even numbers, but two tenths is close enough for me.

The important part is to not leave a bullet (or any weight) on the pan for a long time.
Put the bullet on the scale, wait for a stable reading, and take it off.

Leaving it for more than a short time 'fatigues' the mechanism and causes the reading to start changing.
It is this 'weakness' that makes many digital scales unsuitable for weighing powder when the method is to throw an underweight charge and trickle it up.
The mechanism can't respond to the changing weight.

But for things like bullets, the cheap ones (like mine) work fine. It also works as a quickie second opinion on a powder charge ... just to verify the setting of your beam scale.

CM