PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Mag 20

Rooster931
03-06-2013, 01:37 PM
The leaky pot question below prompted this post. I have a Lyman mag 20 which is several years old. It has worked flawlessly until recently and now it drips terribly. I cleaned the spout with the paper clip method and the drips almost became worse. I totally emptied the pot and noticed a great deal of crud in the seat to the spout so I carefully cleaned that area and fired the pot back up. Amazingly I still have the same problem. Can the spot, rod and seat be changed on these? Looking for input maybe the lapping idea not sure?

Iowa Fox
03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
The only part that Lyman will sell to the end user for the Mag 20 is the shut off rod, which by the way is now longer than the original. The spout and most other small parts are only sold if you return the pot to them at the factory. I can see both sides of the thinking in this but return shipping charges are a killer as far as costs go. I ordered a new rod a couple of years ago and now the adjusting screw is too short so I ordered a new one thinking it might be longer. Wrong its actually shorter when it arrived. Their answer was you will have to make something. Its been sitting for the last couple of years and I need to fix it, return it to them, or get rid of it. The ladies have a can do attitude when answering the phone but the marketing people have made so many parts changes it is a nightmare trying to get the right combination of parts. Some companies are really good at servicing old parts and those are the ones I'm going to support. I don't expect free replacement parts I just want to buy them but can't. While that pot is sitting I'm using my old Lee bottom spout from the 70s. They still sell parts for repair or at least the last I knew they did.

Rooster931
03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
Thanks Iowa Fox funny you say it is longer that is what my problem looks like the rod is too short. I do not understand it because the pot worked flawlessly for years. The adjustment screw, do you mean the screw that holds the lever that lifts the rod in place.

Iowa Fox
03-08-2013, 12:22 AM
Rooster, The screw I talked about in the above post is probably more correctly termed the limit screw. Its the adjustable large headed screw knurled on the outside diameter. It is finger adjustable to regulate the amount of upward lift on the handle to regulate aloy flow. With the longer new shut off rod installed, the maximum lift on the handle with the limit screw only in a couple threads is a 1/4 of an inch on my pot, not enough opening lift. I ordered a new limit screw and it is actually shorter than the old one. I sent an email to the technical dept at Lyman and received a response that they are aware their combination of replacemnt parts is screwed up but have no solution. Thats when I put it into the box and haven't touched it since. I need to pull it out and see what I can come up with on my own if I can find some time. The new parts from Lyman are actually pretty cheap being only a couple bucks each and shipping is very reasonable, I just wish they fit better. I looked in my Mc Master-Carr catalog for a little longer limit screw with that head or close to and didn't find anything but I'm sure I can come up with something. My biggest concern is the new rod will still leak in the old nozzle or spout. Good luck with yours.