PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust fan for shooting indoors?

jmsj
03-05-2013, 11:33 PM
Hey Guys,
I have access to an old building that I can shoot in. It is way out of town near where i live. It is 120' long and has lights inside. I tried it out last week and it was great to be able to shoot out of the wind and at night.
The problem is the fumes from the shooting. I know that lead poisoning is an issue for indoor shooting. My question is, have any of you made your own exhaust system or any suggestions on how to make one?
Thanks, jmsj

willie_pete
03-05-2013, 11:48 PM
I built a 60' range in my house. I have an exhaust fan behind my head blowing in and another at the target end blowing out. They are both on speed controls so I can balance the in and out. Otherwise they suck my doors open/closed. I designed for 10 air turnovers per hour. That has worked well for me.

WP

jmsj
03-06-2013, 02:53 AM
WP,
Thanks for the reply.
Is the 10 air turnovers per hour a standard calculation for shooting range air handling? Just trying to get this figured out so I can start putting something together. I would like to put a place together where my kids could shoot year round and at night. I have been holding off on this project because of the air handling issue and their young age.
Thanks, jmsj

Shiloh
03-06-2013, 08:01 AM
You need an arrangement like willy pete.
Something to push air from behind you and another to pull it away and out in fromt of you
Most indoor ranges are set up this way. Our range has a heater that keeps it around 50 on brutal cold days.

SHiloh

willie_pete
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
Luckily I live in Florida so the air temperature is not a big issue. A colder climate would be problematic, since all of that air would need to be comfort heated and it is flying out the exhaust - a big waste. I picked about 10 air changes because that gave me a face velocity I felt comfortable with. I also took some measurements at an indoor range I used to belong to that had inadequate ventalation. What that really means is I am a chemical engineer by training so I took a SWAG and it worked.

I do teach CCW/shooting at my home and with multiple shooters shooting at the same time the smoke has not been an issue. Hope this helps.

WP

bobthenailer
03-06-2013, 10:08 AM
Our NRA guideline set up indoor range has fresh air comeing from the upper back of rear wall behind where the shooters stand, a downrange exhuast fan with duct work 2 feet beyound the fireing line and the width of the firing line and another downrange exhaust fan with duct work ran across the width of the bullet traps.

captaint
03-06-2013, 10:22 AM
willy pete got it right. Move plenty of air in, and you can move plenty of air out. Ten changes per hour ought to be more than adequate. Can I come over ??? Mike

jmsj
03-06-2013, 10:48 AM
Thanks Guys for the input.
Going to have to find some really big fans. The interior measures 120' X 30' X 12'=43,200 cu.ft.. If we multiply that by 10 that comes to 432,000 cu. ft./hr.. Divide that 60(min) and that comes out to 7,200 cu. ft./min. Does that sound right to you guys? That's a couple of pretty big fans.
captaint,
Sure your welcome here. A couple of the local shooters and archers are excited about me getting this set up.
jmsj

willie_pete
03-06-2013, 10:56 AM
Your math is the way I did it. In my case my range is only 12W x 10H x 60L, so my fans are nowhere as big as you would need to move that volume.

WP

bobthenailer
03-06-2013, 12:02 PM
used home HVAC fan assy still in housings work pretty well and cheap !