PDA

View Full Version : Another Belding & Mull Question

jim4065
08-11-2007, 09:13 PM
I have an old B&M with the sight glass and brass measuring tube. It also has a brass hopper with lid. I want to use it for loading Black Powder cartridges. The problem is that the thumbscrew which holds it to the bench is missing the swiveling cap on top. In fact - it looks like it was ground down to the shape of a wadcutter bullet. It will sink into the bottom of a soft wood bench - including plywood - and won't hold the measure still on a steel bench.

Does anyone know how to fix this part? I hate to get rid of the measure, but it's a real pain to use it this way - even if it's accurate. I see some for about $30 plus freight on ebay, so I know that it's not worth a big investment in money or time, but I'd sure like to hear of a good "fix".

No_1
08-11-2007, 09:24 PM
Find a rifle or pistol case that will slip over the thumbscrew stud. Put it on there and let the base of the cartridge contact the bench. Tighten the screw and you should be golden.

Good luck!
R.

mazo kid
08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
If you can find the B&M measure for $30, you better buy all you can at that price. Not saying there weren't some at that price, but all I've seen went for $70+ in nice condition. I have 3 and one was purchased cheaper because the sight glass and cover were missing. Could you use a large heavy washer over that thumb screw? Emery

carpetman
08-15-2007, 12:50 AM
The belding & mulls have tendency to swivel even if tightened. I mount a small strip of steel next to it to hold the sides and keep it from swiveling. If you find them for $30 buy them all. I have yet to find any type powder they wont accurately meter.

jim4065
08-15-2007, 01:35 AM
Well, this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Belding-and-Mull-Powder-measure-NEW-and-MINT_W0QQitemZ170138847481QQihZ007QQcategoryZ71119 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
is in extremely good condition, but they just sold two of them in the $30 to $40 range. Guess I should have bid. I tried a large washer that didn't stop it from swiveling - the strip of steel sounds like it would work fine. Is it safe to use with Black Powder? There is still some shearing of grains taking place, and I've never trusted it enough to try it out.

Pepe Ray
08-15-2007, 02:58 AM
If you don't think it's gonna work for you, you could get rid of it here.
$30.00 did you say?
Pepe Ray

Ringer
08-15-2007, 07:10 AM
I have used mine for BP 3years now. Check Buffalo Arms' Catalog or web site to find what they sell for new. I attach mine to a steel plate, but I insert a piece of the non skid sold in supermarkets for tabletops, and RV's to eliminate movement.Very good measure. Regards, Ringer