PDA

View Full Version : Oh, making your own projectiles is absolutely POINTLESS!!!!

Utah Shooter
03-05-2013, 10:46 PM
So I just got off the phone with a longtime buddy of mine. In fact we go back 20 years or so. All the way from 7th grade up to the ripe old age of 33 next week.

He was my mentor into the wonderful world of reloading some 7 years ago. He has been very wise in answering all of my questions. Dare I say I could read about reloading and learn here on the internet for another 10 years and still not know as much as he has learned in his lifetime. I mean this guy takes reloading to its absolute little kernel. He rarely brags about his knowledge, even though I have seen his 3" groups at 1,000 yards.

Here is where the story really begins. I remember picking up a set of Corbin R-Type dies clearly out of luck about 2.5 years ago. After I found out what they were for I called him immediately, thinking he would be all over doing something like this. I guess I was wrong. He replied with something like this, "Oh, making your own projectiles is absolutely POINTLESS!!!! You are going to make them out of what? You could never make projectiles that compete with Berger!"

But Karl, I said, think of how much money we could save!

"Save money? You know if you want crappy projectiles I have plenty of Winchester 55 FMJ's I will sell you. You wont have to do any work."

Needless to say he was not keen on the idea. I will leave the conversation at that.

Anyway...... 25 minutes ago he said, "Joe.... So tell me a bit about those projectiles you are making?......" :):):):):):):):)

While the conversation did go on very smoothly after that I just felt I should share with some of my PBB's (Projectile Building Brothers). I hope this makes you all smile. :drinks:

jdam169
03-05-2013, 10:55 PM
I too used to have the same view as your friend. Now I have the I will make them myself attitude! Funny how things work out. Maybe Karl will get into casting

Bullshop
03-05-2013, 11:09 PM
You can buy Berger bullets today because he himself started making his own match bullets because they were better than what he could buy. That progressed into him selling bullets. There are BR shooters that will only shoot their own bullets.

Utah Shooter
03-05-2013, 11:55 PM
You can buy Berger bullets today because he himself started making his own match bullets because they were better than what he could buy. That progressed into him selling bullets. There are BR shooters that will only shoot their own bullets.

You are absolutely right. I am actually learning plenty from one of "good old neighbor Walts," protege's.

BT Sniper
03-06-2013, 12:38 AM
I thought you might have a play on words for us with "pointless" bullets, as in large meplat or another 3/8" group. Glad to hear people are coming back around to some of the old thinking and advantages of making your own bullets.

I still look forward to a fun shoot off comp with our 22 cal bullets. I'll be practicing with my 9s ogive bullets very soon and look to top that last group you posted a pic of.

Good shooting and swage on! Keep spreading the word!

BT

Utah Shooter
03-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Thanks BT. Always up for a good challenge. I am still amazed I shot that one.

I am starting to find that a lot depends on the seating and lubing process.

I really am excited to see what the 9s shoots.

BT Sniper
03-06-2013, 03:02 AM
Let me know if you want to try a few. They really start to look good at 69 grains or heavier, even with a lead tip. But I know I was shooting them pretty good at 55 grains too. They where not even very good bullets back then, lost of lube dents. I think I have been able to better my production techniques and hopfully that will show up on the target.

I have no doubt you will be able to reproduce targets like the one you shot. Soon we will test them at longer range I'm sure.

BT

fredj338
03-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Well if your buddy can actually shoot 3"/1000yd groups, he should turn pro, that is very, very good shooting. I looked at swaging as a way to have components to shoot, not to save money or break accuracy records, all though both are possible.

Utah Shooter
03-06-2013, 10:44 PM
Well if your buddy can actually shoot 3"/1000yd groups, he should turn pro, that is very, very good shooting. I looked at swaging as a way to have components to shoot, not to save money or break accuracy records, all though both are possible.

Who says he is not?

tbird1960
03-06-2013, 11:56 PM
I started out swaging 357 bullets on the old CH Swagomatic when I was 19 and have done that thru the years. Not so much now but I bought a set of 6mm bullet dies about 2 years ago and have had some really good luck with making my own 6mm's. I would recommend swaging to anybody who really wants to take the time and effort.

algunjunkie
03-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Ever since this last scare started my phone has been ring off the hook with people asking if I still make my own. Several want to learn how, others just want me to supply them with bullets because they can't find any. I have even had stores call me asking. One even offered to buy everything that I have and everything that I can make. Sucks for them, oak not hurting on any that I make.

Reload3006
03-07-2013, 08:13 AM
the difference between this era of stupidity and the last one is I have not worried once about bullets or boolits I have an abundance of both. I was a little low on my favorite powder but that is on its way. Swaging is expensive to get into but what is it worth now? what will you pay for bullets now that you cant get them. Its not even been a worry for me I have all I need and I have any kind weight profile boat-tail or flat base. I have it. That is worth way more to me than being worried about if I can get them or not. I guess my investment has been paid in peace of mind.

Lizard333
03-07-2013, 09:21 AM
the difference between this era of stupidity and the last one is I have not worried once about bullets or boolits I have an abundance of both. I was a little low on my favorite powder but that is on its way. Swaging is expensive to get into but what is it worth now? what will you pay for bullets now that you cant get them. Its not even been a worry for me I have all I need and I have any kind weight profile boat-tail or flat base. I have it. That is worth way more to me than being worried about if I can get them or not. I guess my investment has been paid in peace of mind.

This pretty much sums up my reasons to swage. He's right about it not being a poor mans hobby, but the freedom to "roll your own", far outweighs the cost.

fredj338
03-07-2013, 01:02 PM
I am just saying, that is truely impressive shooting, world class even.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2010/09/matt-kline-shoots-2-815-record-at-1000-yards-with-300-wsm/

newcastter
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
Swaging is expensive to get into but what is it worth now? what will you pay for bullets now that you cant get them. Its not even been a worry for me.

Exactly, my dies are paying themselves off pretty quick now, In fact I'm ahead of the game now...now if only BT would send my .40 cal dies I would be in really good shape.
.224 swaging dies are by far the best investment I have ever made

Nix
03-16-2013, 12:21 PM
I hear this from people all the time at the shop, on the phone and at gun shows; "Why would anyone cast/swage, what a waste of time, crappy results" etc.

Every time I do I say "Whats your address, I'm going to send you something" and send them 5 1oz lyman slugs, 5 1oz Lee drive-key slugs, 5 .357 magnum HPs and 5 .45ACP HP's (and soon to be 5 .223 swaged bullets) and you know what happens 9 times out of ten? I get a phone call/email back about a week later that usually goes something like "Hey... Those bullets/slugs you sent me... I tried a few of them out... What would I need to make some of those, you know, if I wanted to...".

I did the math about a year ago and based on the price of the components and materials (assuming you already have the brass) I make loaded .357 magnum cartridges for about $0.08 Canadian. Good luck even buying a JHP bullet for that let alone a fully loaded cartridge.

Good on you for straightening your buddy out, ha ha.

warthog
03-17-2013, 09:13 AM
I got into casting because I knew I could make a better boolit. I cast them for years before I found out you could affordably swage. See, I new that the "Big Guys" swaged their bullets which is why they look nice, have jackets (and ties :) ) and all that but until I came here I honestly didn't know it was something I could do myself at hime and not have to sell my house or find backers for my new business to afford it.

Now, after reading a bit here, then posting my Help Me post a couple days ago and now reading on Corbin where I will be reading for a while yet... I'm ready to get this done. It isn't going to happen quick for me, I don't make a lot of money on disability but I love shooting and have been doing that since I was ten so 40 years now and I am finally going to make my own rounds and make them like the big companies do. So it may be a deep pocket game but I am going to do this anyway.

Waste of time? BAH!

Three44s
03-17-2013, 10:57 AM
Reloading went out of "fashion" too ..........

I had people give me shot gun presses and sell metalic tools cheap too .........

........... I greedly accepted their boners!

Now, they are begging and scrapping for ammo .........

While I was bumming for wheel weights they were out playing and having fun .......... Now who's happy?

(I bet their wife doesn't garden either.)

Three 44s