PDA

View Full Version : Range Time With My T/C .56cal. Smoothie

Maven
03-05-2013, 05:45 PM
With miserable weather forecast for the rest of the week, I thought today would be good to try out the new gun: I wasn't disappointed with either! To simplify things, I stuck with only 1 powder brand, granulation, and charge; namely 60grs. Diamondback FFFg. Ditto for the RB, a 243gr. .550" pure Pb cast from a Lyman mold. Patch lube was what I typically use in cooler weather: Winchester Sutler "Moose Milk" + a dash of Ballistol + 91% isopropyl alcohol + several squirts of Dixie Gun Works "Old Slickum" (pretty much the same as Murphy's Oil Soap). The patches were .010" (compressed) 100% cotton twill, because I found .014" (compressed) pillow tick to be a tad tight (more about this later).

25 yd. Results (All shooting was done kneeling with my right elbow resting on the shooting bench): As expected, the first shot from the unfouled bore was ~ 1.5" high and several inches to the right of the point of aim. However, subsequent shots grouped nicely in under 2" with several touching. After adjusting the elevation a bit, I was able to chew away half of a red 2" target dot. However, there were several flyers, which did nothing for my groups. After examining the spent patches, I found several were "blown" or on the verge of shredding. I know a heavier patch should be used, but the .010" twill was fairly easy to start. Maybe using a
greased patch will prevent this, but that's for another day.

Results using a thicker patch: I substituted the .014" ticking patches for the thinner ones and was quite pleased with their performance: Not a hint of shredding or damage of any kind + excellent groups (~1"). However, starting the RB with these wasn't easy.

Results using a .530" RB + .024" denim patch (cut off legs from Waksupi's jeans: don't ask!). This worked OK, but needs a more thorough trial. The RB's were cast from WW's and measured .5304" -.5305" v. 5301" for those cast from pure Pb. While they started easily, they didn't group as well as the larger RB's, meaning ~3" v. 2" or less.

In sum, the smoothie will handily shoot into 2" or less (with many touching) and in truth, possibly 1.5" or less with a bit more experimenting. Moreover, while the set trigger makes firing the gun a pleasure, the stock doesn't really fit me, leaving me with a sore cheek. Firing it offhand, which is what I intend to do most of the time, is much more comfortable. With some more fiddling, I'm certain that the T/C will be an excellent shooter.

felix
03-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Good show, Maven! Nothing more fun than some pure ol' R&D when the mood strikes. ... felix

smoked turkey
03-05-2013, 11:03 PM
....denim patch-cut off legs from Waksupi's jeans: don't ask....

Very good Maven. I figure your patching material is the secret to your success! I won't ask, but it is an interesting thought. I really like my .56 smoothie when used as a 28 gauge shotgun. I have a ball shooting it and expecially if a red or gray squirrel is on the other end. Mine has a good pattern and I believe I could take a turkey with it at 25 yards. I doubt I'll risk it since I have a 12 ga for that, but it is tempting to try. I know you have a recipe for the shotgun, but if you get interested in trying that I can tell you what I do.

Maven
03-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Thanks for that generous offer, st! From what I've read, the T/C smoothie is equally at home with either shot or RB loads, assuming the proper OP & OS wads and patching, of course. As for Waksupi's cut off jean legs, here's the straight, but hardly eyebrow raising story. Ric built an Isaac Haines FL (Jim Chambers kit) for me last year and shipped it to me wrapped in various materials, including the legs of 2 different pairs of jeans. I kept them around on the odd chance that they'd make a good patch for that .54cal. rifle. I cut them into patches, but found them @ .024" a mite tight for the .530" RB I use, even with the coned muzzle. As you can see from my posts, I still have them and experiment with them on occasion.

izzyjoe
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
that's sound's like you got a good shooter there!

OverMax
03-07-2013, 01:08 AM
Nice shooting there Sir. Ol Thompson 56 seems to be working out pretty good for you. Gotta love them smooth bore patched ball rifles. Especially when one darn near out shoots a rifled bored one. lol

Maven
03-07-2013, 10:40 AM
It does indeed seem to be a good shooter, at least @ 25 yds. My next testing will be from a proper rest at both that distance and 50 yds., mostly to fine tune, if possible, both windage and elevation. From then on it will strictly be used for offhand shooting as that doesn't smack my cheek bone so badly.