PDA

View Full Version : What's it worth and who does it? (mining indoor range lead)

High Lord Gomer
03-05-2013, 05:41 PM
I have a friend who recently bought an indoor range. The previous owner had a group (company?) that would come in every 6 months and get the lead out of the dirt berm. Since they apprarently had permits and cleaned up appropriately no money changed hands. I am thinking that there are probably companies that will pay for the right to do this for him.

The previous group usually hauled out 20-25,000 lbs every six months. My son and I went in the other day and in 45 minutes got 615 lbs. I feel like I need to pay him for that but am not sure how much.

dbosman
03-05-2013, 05:51 PM
Until the friend gets a contract signed, they'd probably be happy with a gift or service.
If they partake of adult beverages, a twenty five year old scotch, or twenty five hour old white whiskey would be a cheap present/investment.
(cheap compared to paying for lead)

Case Stuffer
03-05-2013, 06:18 PM
Dirt berm for an indoor range , that's a new one for me. All of the indoor ranges I have ever been to used stell bullet traps mostly Detroit Bullet Trap Co. ones and most lead was thus slivers and dust. I managed one such range for about two years and a local commerical caster / reloading company cleaned out tje traps and range traded lead for credit toward reloads for the range.

I was operating a sideline ammo business during that time and paid the range owner 20 cents a pound for what I gathered myself.That was over 30 years ago.

Lizard333
03-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Beer and donuts until they start complaining. Your still doing them a service. I wouldn't worry to match if they aren't complaining. Take all you can!

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-06-2013, 11:07 AM
If your friend owns the range, and it produces 20k + pounds in 6 months, if it where me,
I'd be building a melting and ingoting facility, reclaiming the lead and selling ingots. I mean, at 20,000 pounds,for 6 months,
in round numbers, that's a $3000.00+ income /month just in lead ingots, much less what the range brings in

HATCH
03-06-2013, 11:17 AM
I shot at a indoor range that has a metal deflector that sends the bullets to dirt.
Another one has the same setup but uses water to stop the bullets.
20K lead is a lot of lead every 6 months.
I would go once a month and mine the lead.

Jay561
03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
Sweet deal, go with it until they say no more.

sleddman
03-06-2013, 12:07 PM
I'd make a buisness deal with him and pay him a percentage of the profit. If he ends up doing a contract with a company you will be removed from the process legally.

High Lord Gomer
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't have the time necessary to try to handle that kind of volume.

dbosman...I like that approach!

High Lord Gomer
03-07-2013, 06:39 PM
Dirt berm for an indoor range , that's a new one for me. All of the indoor ranges I have ever been to used stell bullet traps mostly Detroit Bullet Trap Co. ones and most lead was thus slivers and dust.

There is a steel bullet trap but the previous owner had a dirt berm put in a couple years ago so that people could shoot rifles in there. I have shot my .300 Wetherby in there but it is painful to both the ears and shoulder.

Surprisingly, it seems louder with the dirt berm than the steel trap.

plainsman456
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Get them and make your pile larger.

When you get the time or need some boolits then melt them down.
They won't go stale.

Might open up something else between you.

sw282
03-07-2013, 10:42 PM
l pay $20 for a 3gallon from a guy who cleans an indoor range. This bucket weighs in at around 100lbs and is cheap for the price. Being a 'handgun only' range the lead/copper chunks are large and easily seperated. l am very fortunate to have this source

TheGrimReaper
03-08-2013, 01:52 PM
If your friend owns the range, and it produces 20k + pounds in 6 months, if it where me,
I'd be building a melting and ingoting facility, reclaiming the lead and selling ingots. I mean, at 20,000 pounds,for 6 months,
in round numbers, that's a $3000.00+ income /month just in lead ingots, much less what the range brings in

No joke and you could probably sell half of it here!!!

.22-10-45
03-08-2013, 06:27 PM
back in the late 70's, I helped clean out an indoor berm..be sure you buy a quality resperator with filters specifically for lead..and wear old cloths and shoes that will be stored outside of living areas. Shower and shampoo hair after..I practice the clothes and shower bit before I touch or do anything else...after each casting session.

Jim Flinchbaugh
03-09-2013, 11:42 AM
If you dont have the time, find some on who has the time, like a high school kid who likes to shoot.
Or just stack it in the barn till you have the time, lead has a pretty good shelf life I hear :)

vogironface
03-09-2013, 11:55 AM
i like the business deal idea. You would not even have to smelt it if you don't want. Lots of folks would buy it as you dug it out if the price is right, especially right now. I guy i know just sold 600 lbs of ww, unsorted and unsmelted, at fifty cents a pound after posting an add on a local gun related classifieds add site. The add was up a few minutes and he could have sold five times that in 24 hours based on the callers he turned away.

ph4570
03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
20-25,000 # in six months is a lot of shooting at that range. For an average 150 gr bullet and open 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week that's an average of 510 shots an hour -- unless I messed up the math. Yes, I am a little bored at the moment.

zomby woof
03-09-2013, 05:51 PM
Our indoor range used to sell the scrap for 5-8 cents per pound. I was buying lead for 8 cents per pound. I advertised on this forum and we now sell to a forum member for 20-25 cents per pound. I have not bought lead after this deal. I'm not sure what the price is now, I might have screwed myself.