PDA

View Full Version : Coleman 2 Burner Stove

30yrcaster
08-11-2007, 03:23 PM
Hello,

First time I've used a Coleman 2 burner stove to melt lead. I used an RCBS 10 lb pot and it melted 8 lbs in about 20 minutes. The stove is a 15,000 BTU unit. One pint of Coleman fuel lasted 2 hrs using the main burner. I've got 2 questions about using a Coleman 2 burner stove hopefully someone can answer.

Could I use a 20 lb pot on the main burner to melt 20 lbs or is that too much? Don't want to buy a 20 lb pot for nothing.

Will using both burners generate enough heat to use two 10 lb pots or one 10 lb & one 20 lb?

I'm only using this for smelting.

Thanks!!

nicholst55
08-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I'm using a 4-quart dutch oven on mine - I figure it holds close to 75 pounds of lead, or maybe a bit more. It takes a good long time to melt, but it works.

eka
08-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Yes the grate will hold a twenty pound pot. But, with use it will start to sag. I placed some metal across the top of my stove to help hold the weight and felt a little more comfortable. After a while the grate may give, but I used my stove for smelting for two years or more with no problems. I used the main burner only. The second burner on my stove seemed to bleed it's gas from the main burner and never gets anywhere near as hot as the main burner. But, my stove is ancient. Leave a small amount of lead in your smelting pot when you are done. This will help you get started faster the next time. I have now moved on to the turkey burner, but am yet to try it out. The stove was a cheap, but effective tool for me. I also thought I needed a bazillion ingot pans until I started cooling my one RCBS pan using the towel in water like Bruce B does before cutting sprues. I now use the one pan and don't have any plans to buy more.

Hope this helps,

Keith

imashooter2
08-11-2007, 05:20 PM
I used a 3 quart pot on my Coleman 2 burner for years. Working weight was about 60 pounds. I used it to both smelt and dipper cast with the same pot. I never saw any grate sag.

MK111
08-11-2007, 06:22 PM
I use a 40 lb. pot hung on a chain from the ceiling. Then when melted I just tilt it with a pair of visegrips and pour in my ingots. No problem. I use to make scuba weights for sale and have done couple of tons that way.