PDA

View Full Version : Best way to cut choreboy patches?

TheDoctor
03-05-2013, 03:21 PM
Was cleaning a Vaquero that I recently bought off someone. Had lead, over copper, over lead, with more copper. Two days of foaming bore cleaner, and still removing stuff. Decided it's time to try copper scrub pads. The ones I found are not choreboy brand, but are solid copper. All I could find. Snipped the plastic thingy that holds it together, and it unrolled like a sock. Cut a section off of that, and little copper slivers went everywhere. Wrapped it around a brush and ran it through the barrel. Little copper strings started coming off. Ended up with a copper birds nest that was twice as long as the brush I had it wrapped around. Not sure if this is normal, being a total noob to the copper thing and all......Or did I totally mess up unrolling the scrub pad?

C.F.Plinker
03-05-2013, 04:28 PM
I've just used the Chore Boys. At first I cut a strand and unraveled it. Took a 3' or so length and wrapped it around a bore brush until it was a tight fit in the chamber and a very tight fit in the bore. That was OK. I found it better to use kitchen scissors or tin snips to cut a patch about the length of the bore brush by about 3/4 of the length and wrap that around the brush. If you have to feed the cleaning rod in from the muzzle end (revolvers) stick it down the barrel before you wrap the patch on. That way the patch will tighten in to the bore as you draw it through the forcing cone. You can cut the Chore Boy apart so it lays out kind of like a fish net. Then cut your patches from the fish net.

Doc Highwall
03-05-2013, 04:30 PM
I found some one time that said it was copper and a magnet would attract it.

TheDoctor
03-05-2013, 04:37 PM
Seen a bunch of that. This stuff feels different, not near as stiff. No sticking to the magnet. And, at 3 bucks a pad, it BETTER be copper! Will try to push the brush through first. Wrapped mine, and shoved it through the muzzle first, results of which made me start this post.

Hardcast416taylor
03-05-2013, 10:14 PM
I found some one time that said it was copper and a magnet would attract it.

The reason for that being is the "laboratory chemical users" found a way to use the all copper version for enhancing their enjoyment. If you can find the all copper version of the Chore Boy pad they will usually be behind the sales counter so they can`t be stolen.Robert

C.F.Plinker
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
Another option is the medium or fine bronze wool. It is next to the steel wool at my hardware store.

Cactus Farmer
03-07-2013, 11:36 AM
Google "Lewis Lead remover".
An old company that has the answer to lead removal. Way better for really leaded bores than Chore Boy.
I've been using them for 40+ years...........YMMV