PDA

View Full Version : Assistance setting up a Blackmon BSSP Swage Press

Nix
03-05-2013, 01:39 PM
I got mine in the mail yesterday and while it's got some good information on actually swaging bullets, there is no documentation on setup and the only picture included is a grainy B&W photocopy breaking down the parts by name.

I'm very pleased with the quality of the components and press, but as swaging is not exactly a poor-man's game, I've been saving for this for a while and am afraid to set it up incorrectly only to break something.

Does anybody here have a Blackmon press/swage kit who would be willing to provide a simple writeup/pictures or some tips on setting it up?

Thanks in advance,

Reload3006
03-05-2013, 02:42 PM
I have the Rock Chucker conversion but your BSSP will work alot the same way here is a video I did using it It should help you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYp6MDw5KjU&list=UUcEG4_TTN21Hs9FFLFBnL-w&index=5

Nix
03-06-2013, 12:15 AM
Thanks that helped quite a bit.

aaronraad
03-06-2013, 02:37 AM
I know how you feel. I'm fortunate enough to have my bullet swaging mentor only 20 minutes down the road.

Which parts/dies/punches did you receive with the press? The set-up varies between the brands of dies and the type of projectiles your trying to make.

I've bench-mounted mine on a plywood box at about 20 degrees. It sits fairly high in comparison to my reloading press so I'm not swinging the handle down around my knees at top-dead-centre/maximum force.

Nix
03-11-2013, 11:13 PM
Sorry I was away for the week at a gun show.

I have been having a hard time finding pure lead here so I'm in the process of sourcing some locally from metal recyclers. As such I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I am planning on mounting it on my reloading bench at the warehouse. It's high enough that it shouldn't be too much of a problem but we'll see.

I received the Blackmon series of dies for turning .22LR brass into .223 bullets. I'm thinking I'll do the setup this weekend with the information I've collected so far (or at least take a stab at it). Should have some lead sourced by then after which I'll post some pictures as there doesn't seem to be much out there in terms of content on the blackmon setup.

Utah Shooter
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Well if you would call, or let me know what you would like to see this would be a bit easier. I have plenty of photos. Just not sure what you want to see!

I do believe that I have these things figured out. I am more than eager to help.

Reload3006
03-12-2013, 08:10 AM
RCE LLC is a good place for wire you need the .188 wire its pure lead and easy to work with. Down side is its over 3 dollars a pound. Or make yourself an adjustable core mold and then use pure that you find around.

MIBULLETS
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I think Crown metals in WI sells wire for less than $2/lb.

Toobroke
03-12-2013, 06:27 PM
I think Crown metals in WI sells wire for less than $2/lb.

+1. I bought 2 spools from them 6-7 years ago. Nice people and good to deal with. Don't know what the current price would be but they were far cheaper than anyone else. Only thing was (if I remember right) they only come in 50 lb spools. Good for my .429 not so much for my .223...I only swage for my .22-250. I believe it'll be a lifetime (plus) supply. There's a LOT of wire at .188 compared to .365