PDA

View Full Version : Lee Liquid Alox Lube

armoredman
08-11-2007, 12:55 PM
The wife laid down the law quite unexpectedly yesterday afternoon, that she has no problem with all my casting activities, save one - there will be NO "bonding" of lube to boolit in the oven, as reccomended by Goatlips great website resource.
So, two questions;
1) Is there a good way to lube with the stick lubes I have, and not have to bond in the oven?
2) Critique my technique for Lee Alox - I squirt a generous squirt or two in my Tupperware "boolit lubing device", and then roll them around inside for a minute or so. They all end up with a thin film of LLA all over- this is correct? After sizing, I relube and dry them the same way, then load them. Good? Does more LLA equal less leading? Did Lee Harvey Oswald really shoot Kennedy, and just who is the shooter on the Grassy Knoll? Just seeing who read this far.:mrgreen:

R.M.
08-11-2007, 01:02 PM
Have you thought of watching garage sales for a toaster-oven. You should be able to find one fairly cheap. This should make SWMBO happy. [smilie=1: [smilie=1:

flyingstick
08-11-2007, 01:11 PM
Yes, Oswald Harvey lee did shoot Mr. Lincoln with a cast boolit lubed with liquid alox from the knolly grass. However, there was no sign of alox on the boolit because it melted off in the hot humid air:)
It's 100 here and 100 hummidity, too hot to cast anymore for me until October.
Sounds like your doing the LLA right!

38-55
08-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Armoredman,
I've never found more lla to be helpful on pistol/revolver boolits. Just a light coat seems to be enough. BTW I've had the law laid down...no LLA boolit 'drying' in the house. It would seem that it doesn't seem to have 'po-puree' effect on the fairer sex that it has on us... Just set em' outside overnight and they will harden up or better yet cast a LOT more than you plan to load and just lube and set aside but make sure you stay ahead of the 'loading curve'.
Enjoy
Calvin
PS good shooting, I saw your target

armoredman
08-11-2007, 01:45 PM
I established a "drying box" in the garage - one of the moving boxes we've actually managed to unload, plus an old fitted crib sheet from the gun rag collection. Wax paper is laid down inside, freshly lubed boolits are carefully stood upright inside the box, and the crib sheet laid over the top to keep any dust/smoke/etc from adhering to the lube. Seems to work, so far.

BTW, the wife said the toaster oven idea was fantastic. Thanks!

gray wolf
08-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Hey we love the L L A, we have it in our Mustard squeese bottle.
Sure dresses up the deer burgers ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ah.

RU shooter
08-11-2007, 02:10 PM
What!!!! No pan lubing in her oven she says!!!!! My wife actually likes the smell of her beeswax/ honey scented kitchen while I pan lube.

454PB
08-11-2007, 03:10 PM
There is no reason to lube the boolits twice. For sizing, anything can be used as a lube, some of the spray on resizing lube seems popular. I use boot waterproofing (the same stuff I use for resizing lube) smeared on every fourth boolit or so. Once sized, add the LLA as you did in the second step. Hide them in the mower shed or shop to avoid the smell. I rather enjoy the odor, but some people are sensitive to it.

armoredman
08-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Spray on resizing lube? Never hoid of dat.:???:

S.R.Custom
08-11-2007, 04:09 PM
The wife laid down the law quite unexpectedly yesterday afternoon, that she has no problem with all my casting activities, save one - there will be NO "bonding" of lube to boolit in the oven, as reccomended by Goatlips great website resource.
Had a recent episode of that at the Casa de SuperMag... As soon as the utterance was made, I asked what, specifically, the objection was, as it wasn't like she uses the bloody thing for cooking... [smilie=1:

armoredman
08-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Comfy couch?:shock: :razz:

Namerifrats
08-11-2007, 05:41 PM
Yes, Oswald Harvey lee did shoot Mr. Lincoln with a cast boolit lubed with liquid alox from the knolly grass. However, there was no sign of alox on the boolit because it melted off in the hot humid air:)
It's 100 here and 100 hummidity, too hot to cast anymore for me until October.
Sounds like your doing the LLA right!

LOL..nice

gray wolf
08-11-2007, 08:10 PM
i WOULD MIX THE- L L A - IN SOME PAINT AND PAINT THE LIVING ROOM.
That way everyone will get used to the smell.
Hey---- smells like chicken.

I gotta get more sleep.

armoredman
08-11-2007, 08:53 PM
Me too, been living on 6 hours a night since we got our first puppy. And about 4 years ago, my cats discovered how to lick me awake for breakfast. I love them, but some of them have discovered the pure beauty of flight...

leftiye
08-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Had a stray cat come in an open window once and lay down on my face while I was sleeping. Luckily it went out the same window and not into a wall! Reflex action I guess! (pure panic)

tommag
08-11-2007, 09:58 PM
Me too, been living on 6 hours a night since we got our first puppy. And about 4 years ago, my cats discovered how to lick me awake for breakfast. I love them, but some of them have discovered the pure beauty of flight...
I had a cat wake me up with a "gift" one morning. Dropped a live mouse right on my face! What a heck of a way to wake up!

Johnch
08-11-2007, 10:44 PM
OMG stop
I am laughing so hard my sides hurt

My dog just jumps up on the bed and sits on my chest and licks my face , when he HAS to go out

The cat dosn't sleep on the bed , I rolled over on her a few years back

John

Newtire
08-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I use that LLA all the time and it sounds like you are doing it right. I just lay mine out on a plastic freezer bag so I don't have to mess with the waxed paper sticking problem.

454PB
08-12-2007, 12:24 AM
Spray on resizing lube? Never hoid of dat.:???:

Hornady One Shot here:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=112442

armoredman
08-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Oh, OneShot case lube. I actually have an unused can of this stuff! Bought it about a year ago, decided I was going to use up my tubes of Lee Lube first, and haven't used them up yet.
Who here uses OneShot for boolit sizing, just curious?

OeldeWolf
08-12-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't know abut using it for bullet sizing, but I use Hornady One Shot all the time for case resizing. Works beautiful, no mess, do not have to clean it off until the round is all loaded. :)

pumpguy
08-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Sounds like you are using the LLA down to the fine art that it is. I do take the time to set my boolits up on the base. I was getting globs that crammed my seating die full after about 100 rounds. This started to get the boolits pushed down too far in the case. Still have to watch out for this, but, I can do a lot more seating between cleanings

armoredman
08-12-2007, 11:15 AM
I never thought of that - I'd better check this soon.

cattleskinner
08-12-2007, 11:45 AM
I've never heard of the One shot lube to resize, as a healthy squirt or two of liquid dish soap in a pan of water works just as well, and it dries easy too. Put the boolits in the soap water, size, then dry them off.

~~Amos

Cloudpeak
08-12-2007, 04:15 PM
I use Hornady's One Shot case lube when resizing my bullets through the Lee push through sizer. It takes very, very little of this lube. A can should last forever. After sizing, I use Lee Liquid Alox.

Cloudpeak

armoredman
08-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Lay 'em down on a sheet of wax paper, spray across them quickly, roll 'em around to get it on all of them, and then resize. Neat - I'll have to try this, could speed up things, not having to wait for LLA to dry. Thanks!

trooperdan
08-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Had a recent episode of that at the Casa de SuperMag... As soon as the utterance was made, I asked what, specifically, the objection was, as it wasn't like she uses the bloody thing for cooking... [smilie=1:

So, where have you been eating and sleeping since?

jonk
08-14-2007, 03:21 PM
Heck, i know a gent who uses Hornady one shot as bullet lube to shoot for low velocity stuff. He loads hundreds of thousands of rounds a year, so i imagine he knows what he's doing.

Good call to use it in the bullet sizer though, I'll try that myself! That or dillon spray lube.