PDA

View Full Version : Here's the reason I "feel the love" for the little .32 ACP.

gunfan
03-05-2013, 01:34 AM
This article provides some of the the reasons I feel the "warm fuzzies" when I slide my .32 Auto in my holster.

The Little Sure Shot

by R.K. Campbell

photography by R.K. Campbell

January 15th, 2008

When we recommend big bore handguns for personal defense we sometimes lose sight of the fact that many personal defense shooters are occasional shooters. Some of these folks regard the pistol as a safety device and are not as interested in shooting as you or I may be. For these shooters a small bore that is light, handy and easy to shoot is important. While I prefer the big bore, especially the .45 automatic, I have to admit there is overwhelming evidence that the majority of civilian incidents are resolved by the presence of a handgun rather than gunfire. Among the most attractive handguns for many folks is the Walther PP and PPK series. Recently Century Arms International has imported a good supply of former German police Walthers. These are the PP in .32 ACP caliber. American shooters may be more familiar with the smaller PPK but the PP is a fine pistol, a bit larger than the PPK but by no means a heavy weight. The Walther features a double action first shot trigger action, a combination safety and decocker, and excellent workmanship. The pistols are often surprisingly accurate. I have test fired a number of Walther PP, PPK/S and PPK pistols over the years. It is not unusual for such pistols to group five rounds into two and one half to three inches at twenty five yards with quality ammunition. The blowback action of the Walther features a fixed barrel. This fixed barrel combined with close tolerances often demonstrates a high level of accuracy. While the .380 ACP caliber pistols are the most popular with American shooters I find little difference between the two calibers. Neither is able to demonstrate an advantage over the other. I have found that the .380 pistols must use a heavier hammer spring to help contain recoil - the hammer keeps the slide closed until a certain level of pressure is met and dissipates - and this makes the .32’s action a little lighter. Overall the .32s are easier to use well. For the most part there is little if any difference between the two calibers in shooting results although common sense tells us the .380 has more wound potential. Common .32 ACP ball features a 71 grain bullet at about 1,000 fps from a Walther PP. This load has enough penetration if nothing else. Fiocchi ball ammunition seems a little hotter than some and often gives excellent accuracy. Accuracy seems better than any .32 caliber automatic load I have used in the past. When carefully bench resting the Walther PP, I was able to secure several two and one half inch groups at twenty five yards from a solid benchrest with the Fiocchi loads. More important at ten yards the Walther PP cut one ragged hole. This is a comfortable handgun to fire and use well, well balanced and with smooth controls and good handling. I did experience a couple of inexplicable malfunctions in firing my ex-cop Walther. Feed and cycle reliability is good but occasionally the magazine simply pops out during a firing string. This occurs with both magazines and the magazine slots are cut correctly. I have been careful not to allow my thumb to run into the magazine release during firing. I am pretty certain a magazine release spring will cure this problem as it occurs perhaps one in fifty rounds of ammunition. This simply points out the need to thoroughly proof every firearm, used or new. At any rate with the Fiocchi load the PP would be accurate enough for casual shooting and even for taking small game. I have taken a bushel or so of squirrels and a parcel of bedded rabbits with .32 caliber handguns. For the most part the handguns were Colt small frame revolvers in .32 Colt New Police, a .32 Smith and Wesson Long by any other name. The .32 Auto has considerably more zip to it.

An interesting new load proved to be a real firecracker on the range. I obtained a few boxes of Cor Bon's 60 grain JHP. This load breaks 1050 fps from the PP compared to an honest 990 fps with 71 grain ball ammunition. Muzzle blast is greater than with ball ammunition and recoil while mild is noticeably accelerated. Muzzle signature, however, is typical Cor Bon with little or no flash.

Cor Bon makes serious high quality ammunition and the .32 automatic caliber is no exception. I have had a little trouble with some hollow points in the Walther. After all when the piece was designed in 1929 there were few if any expanding bullet handgun loads in existence. The Cor Bon JHP fed perfectly in the Walther pistol. Accuracy was excellent, cutting one ragged hole consistently at ten yards. After firing a few hundred rounds of mixed ball and the Cor bon load in this light pistol I can see the appeal. The safety features are good, performance is consistent, and the pistol is well made. There are smaller pistols in .32 caliber but none as easy to shoot well and none that deliver the accuracy this pistol does. The sights are acceptable and the practiced handgunner using this handgun would be far from helpless at twenty five yards. In certain situations this is a pistol worth your consideration.

Walther PP Manual of Arms

Load the pistol. lower the hammer with the slide mounted decocker. You may keep the pistol at ready with the safety on or off, depending upon your choice. When you fire, take the safety off and press the trigger. The first shot is a long double action press followed by single action fire as the hammer is cocked by the slide for every subsequent shot. The pistol will lock open on the last shot. To disassemble the pistol, remove the magazine and be certain the chamber is cleared. Press the trigger guard down and to the right. Next pull the slide to the rear and up and forward. The slide will then run off the barrel. the recoil spring rides over the fixed barrel.

R.K. Campbell

gunfan
03-05-2013, 08:45 AM
"Fiocchi ball ammunition seems a little hotter than some and often gives excellent accuracy. Accuracy seems better than any .32 caliber automatic load I have used in the past. When carefully bench resting the Walther PP, I was able to secure several two and one half inch groups at twenty five yards from a solid benchrest with the Fiocchi loads. More important at ten yards the Walther PP cut one ragged hole. This is a comfortable handgun to fire and use well, well balanced and with smooth controls and good handling."

This is what makes "dumping a magazine full" in a bad guy's face of this 'wimpy' cartridge so attractive. Quick, accurate, deadly. At "waltzing distances" it should "accomplish the mission" better than many believe. While a larger pistol caliber is generally preferable; smaller, lighter (thus handier and convenient) pistols shouldn't be discounted. Between 7 and 8 rounds of hardball or FMj in the nose and eyes will either cancel their ticket, or reserve a room in the nearest ICU for an extended visit.

Scott

Combat Diver
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
My son and I each have a CZ50 in 7.65mm that shoots just as well . It will fit in any holster for the Walther PP but safety/decocker also allows for cocked and locked carry. Only thing I don't like about it is trying to find those small cartridge cases in the yard after ejection! Another advantage is that PP mags can be used as they are easier to find and cheaper.

CD

gunfan
03-05-2013, 10:13 AM
From Buffalo Bore's site:

.32 ACP +P Ammo - 75 gr. Hardcast F.N. (1150fps/ M.E. 220 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

The 32 ACP auto inhabits a valuable and useful place in our society as a defensive cartridge, mostly because of the easily concealable, tiny pistols chambered for it. HOWEVER, because of the very limited size of the cartridge, it is plagued with limited power and therefore most of the existing ammo in 32 ACP suffers from not being reliable as a man-stopper. We've studied and examined nearly all available 32 ammo and find it wanting as a reliable means of self defense, especially against a large, drugged up/pain free, determined attacker.

Here's the problem. The current 32 ACP frangible ammo delivers a large amount of surface trauma, but lacks sufficient penetration. For example, if you shot me or another sane man in the face, with modern, frangible 32 ACP ammo, it would blow off a big portion of my cheek. I would undoubtedly fall to the ground in shock and pain, but I would be very much alive and functional if I could get past the pain, as that frangible bullet would have stopped somewhere in my face, never making it to my brain. However, if you shot a drugged up maniac in the face with that same frangible bullet and blew half his cheek off, he would keep right on coming because he is insane and is not thinking like you or I. Plus, he is likely pain free and fear free and won't know that part of his cheek is missing and if he did know, he would not care. So, whatever 32 ACP ammo you shoot him in the face with, had better go through his face and blow his brain stem out the back of his head, because only a CNS (central nervous system) hit with a 32 ACP is going to stop him. Likewise, a torso hit to the sternum needs to penetrate deep enough to blow all the way through his spine in order to shut him down instantly. If you fail to shut him down instantly, you and your loved ones are going to have to find a way to survive while you wait for him to bleed out and pass out. The best chance of survival for you and your loved ones, is to shut down the attacker instantly. So, we've designed this 32 ACP+P load to keep you and yours alive under the worst of scenarios.

This 32 ACP+P ammo will better all American made 32 ACP+P ammo by 110 fps to 150 fps with a heavier bullet than any other American made 32 ACP ammo.

Item 30A/20 is a 75gr. HARD cast bullet with a flat nose. It is traveling over 1,000 fps out of my 3.4 inch Beretta Mod. 70. We've used a flash suppressed powder so that you won't be blinded by your own gunfire in the dark. This is significant as well over 90% of all civilian shootings in America occur in low light when the criminal element is out and about. Also, this flat nosed, nonexpanding, hard cast, bullet will penetrate deeply and will do much more damage than the typical round nosed FMJ bullet. Round nosed bullets tend to slip and slide through living tissue, doing little damage as opposed to a flat nosed bullet. The flat nose not only wounds much more than a round nosed bullet, but it actually keeps the penetration straight and thus deeper. Notice the below velocities from my personal 32 ACP pistols. These are real world guns and thus the speeds are realistic and not the exaggerated speeds you'll see produced from laboratory test barrels. What you see with Buffalo Bore Ammo advertising, is truly what you get in the "real world" where it matters. You can expect 20+ inches of straight line penetration in flesh and bone with this load. If you are worried about over-penetration with this load, DON'T! You chose to carry a tiny under-powered 32 ACP pistol and the trade off is that now you are going to have to stay alive using this pistol and over-penetration will be the least of your worries if you end up needing this gun to save yourself or your family.

A. Berretta Mod. 70, 3 inch bbl.- 1001 fps

B. Kel Tek, 2.5 inch bbl - 910 fps

C. Seecamp, 2 inch bbl. - 856 fps

The above bullet speeds are 110 fps to 150 fps faster than the Winchester 71 gr. FMJ ammo on the American market. Not only is our bullet heavier than any other American made 32 ACP ammo, but it is moving about 15% to 20% faster - with that heavier bullet!
Feeding and function was flawless in the three test pistols listed above.

429421Cowboy
03-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I am a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammo, and have read his thoughts on loads for pocket pistols before, he doesn't mince words, but makes good points. If i had a .32 ACP pistol i would not feel bad carrying his load in it as a hideout gun, i don't doubt that it would stop an up close and personal fight. Granted, i would not feel great about engaging an active shooter with one, bit if it's the difference between the gun you have and the gun you left home, i'll take the little .32. Another gun of interest to me is the NAA Guardian in .32 NAA, that is a step up in power over even the .380, in a little pocket pistol.

45 2.1
03-05-2013, 02:47 PM
MiHec made a 32 ACP hollow point mold as illustrated below. You can duplicate any of the ballistics and potential of those you've been listing. Loaded out of the right alloy and treatment it will go thru a wrist sized elm tree with some shredding.

New GB located here:
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?188593-Rerun-of-MiHec-32-ACP-HP-mold

gunfan
03-05-2013, 05:19 PM
MiHec made a 32 ACP hollow point mold as illustrated below. You can duplicate any of the ballistics and potential of those you've been listing. Loaded out of the right alloy and treatment it will go thru a wrist sized elm tree with some shredding.

A nice hot load for that hard cast 73-grain slug would make for a fine antipersonnel load.

Scott

gunfan
03-05-2013, 05:24 PM
I am a big fan of Buffalo Bore ammo, and have read his thoughts on loads for pocket pistols before, he doesn't mince words, but makes good points. If i had a .32 ACP pistol i would not feel bad carrying his load in it as a hideout gun, i don't doubt that it would stop an up close and personal fight. Granted, i would not feel great about engaging an active shooter with one, bit if it's the difference between the gun you have and the gun you left home, i'll take the little .32. Another gun of interest to me is the NAA Guardian in .32 NAA, that is a step up in power over even the .380, in a little pocket pistol.

While I like the .32 NAA, the only problem is either the availability of the brass, or necking down the brass for loading. The only problem I have with the .380, is the lack of case capacity for the bullet weight/diameter to drive it fast enough for penetration. This is where the .32 ACP shines.

Scott

bob208
03-05-2013, 08:19 PM
some times i carry a llama in .32. i load with magtec hp and fmj every other round. the first shot splats the next one goes deep.

Combat Diver
03-05-2013, 09:37 PM
Anyone else load the Hornady .32 85gr XTP in the .32?

CD

gunfan
03-05-2013, 10:30 PM
I don't care for expanding bullets in the .32 ACP; if you do that's up to you. The only time I like hollow points in the .32 ACP is when I doing some short-range varminting.

Scott

JWFilips
03-05-2013, 11:10 PM
My carry gun holds Ranch dog 75 grain / 32 ACP's at a hot load I'm not worried about the Kaboom factor since I have fired it near 1000 times with these loads ( primers a bit flat!). His 75 grain boolit mold was the greatest achievement to the .32 acp ever. It is very accurate and deadly . The only guy I know that is casting them commercially is Jerry from Carolina bullet Co. I believe he is a member here ....no need to carry anything other then these!!! If I'm to do battle it will be up and close and from all my tests the .32 acp fits my bill....If I'm not at 7 to 10 yards well I'm running from the situation ( saves legal fees)

gunfan
03-06-2013, 12:15 AM
My carry gun holds Ranch dog 75 grain / 32 ACP's at a hot load I'm not worried about the Kaboom factor since I have fired it near 1000 times with these loads ( primers a bit flat!). His 75 grain boolit mold was the greatest achievement to the .32 acp ever. It is very accurate and deadly . The only guy I know that is casting them commercially is Jerry from Carolina bullet Co. I believe he is a member here ....no need to carry anything other then these!!! If I'm to do battle it will be up and close and from all my tests the .32 acp fits my bill....If I'm not at 7 to 10 yards well I'm running from the situation ( saves legal fees)

That isn't a joke! If you load that 75 grain lead to have lots of poop from a 3 1/2' or 3 3/4" barrel, you can reach 200+ foot pounds of energy. That is enough to punch through a sternum or skill in a heartbeat! In the immortal words of the man from the Twilight Zone... "It's what you need."

Scott

Piedmont
03-06-2013, 04:54 AM
The original article says "I find little difference between the .32 ACP and the .380". That's like saying there is little difference between the .30 Luger and the 9mm Luger (the German army and navy beg to differ), or there is little difference between the .357 and .41 magnums. Why can't he just say one is easier to shoot and the other is more powerful? He could have also said, "I see little difference between the .32 Long and .38 Special". Maybe, but I will carry a .38 Special and will not carry a .32 Long since the package is the same size (J frame).

I'm not knocking the .32 ACP and am sitting here wishing I had known about those Walther .32 trade ins.

gunfan
03-06-2013, 10:15 AM
The .32 ACP has the penetration, where the .380 tends to use it's energy to push everything aside. Momentum vs. penetration. I prefer to rely on penetration in the lesser calibers. One must reach into the 9mm Parabellum and higher-energy calibers for bullet diameter to enhance effectiveness.

A friend of mine by the name of Eric Martel studied incidents involving both .32 and .380 rounds in Albuquereque NM street shootings and he determined that ball is better in both. HP ammunition will not be to your advantage in either cartridge.

Penetration is your friend.

Scott

45 2.1
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
A friend of mine by the name of Eric Martel studied incidents involving both .32 and .380 rounds in Albuquereque NM street shootings and he determined that ball is better in both. HP ammunition will not be to your advantage in either cartridge. Penetration is your friend. Scott

I'm not shooting people, but most 32 ACPs are capable of pin point accuracy. I also shoot small game and varmints with cast hollow points..... and watch the reactions of those animals. Given enough "width of animal", those HP's are a lot more effective. I've had a 77 gr. FN mold for the 32 ACP from NEI since '85 and it does not produce more "effect" on animals shot in the same place as the HPs. If you shoot bone or CNS the effect is about the same. Those HP's don't slow down too much either and usually shoot thru animals until you get to fat groundhog size. The 380 ACP is a lot poorer in all regards in the same tests.

fecmech
03-06-2013, 12:08 PM
The only problem I have with the .380, is the lack of case capacity for the bullet weight/diameter to drive it fast enough for penetration. This is where the .32 ACP shines.
I'm not sure where you're coming from with that. As listed above the Buffalo Bore 75 gr bullets in 32 acp do 910 fps out of a Keltec and the Ranch Dog 100 gr FP does 900 fps out of my Keltec P3AT.. I don't really see any reason why the .32 would out penetrate the .380. Other than the obvious recoil difference and the fact that the .380 would crush slightly more tissue I don't think there is much difference between the two. I'm in the penetration camp with these pocket guns, I think expansion with them is not a good thing.

gunfan
03-06-2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure where you're coming from with that. As listed above the Buffalo Bore 75 gr bullets in 32 acp do 910 fps out of a Keltec and the Ranch Dog 100 gr FP does 900 fps out of my Keltec P3AT.. I don't really see any reason why the .32 would out penetrate the .380. Other than the obvious recoil difference and the fact that the .380 would crush slightly more tissue I don't think there is much difference between the two. I'm in the penetration camp with these pocket guns, I think expansion with them is not a good thing.

Street situations have proven that the .380 and .32 do not benefit from hollow points. The increased frontal area in conjunction with the nearly identical speed of the .380 tends to inhibit penetration. You would think that the added weight would enhance penetration, but most american loads don't have the energy to penetrate as well as the European fodder. the .32 ACP tends to penetrate better than the .380 because of the reduced frontal area. As it has been said before, penetration is the best friend of these cartridges. Buffalo Bore "works it's magic" well on both of these rounds. If you rely on either of these cartridges for self defense, are best served by either FMJ or hard cast bullets loaded as hot and fast as possible.

Scott

Piedmont
03-06-2013, 05:33 PM
The .32 ACP has the penetration, where the .380 tends to use it's energy to push everything aside.

How do it know? The .32 know to penetrate, but dat .380 don't. Why the .380 using its energy & pushing errything to the side?

gunfan
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
How do it know? The .32 know to penetrate, but dat .380 don't. Why the .380 using its energy & pushing errything to the side?

The ratio of bullet diameter to weight and how it correlates to the velocity. (Read: sectional density.)

Scott

fecmech
03-06-2013, 09:01 PM
The ratio of bullet diameter to weight and how it correlates to the velocity. (Read: sectional density.)
The SD of a .380 100 gr FP is .113, the SD of a .32 acp 75 gr fp is .111. As I said not really any difference in penetration as SD's are essentially the same and so are the velocities out of pocket guns such as the Keltecs. The .32 is a little more controllable while the .380 crushes a bit more tissue, "Angels dancing on the head of a pin". The effect of either would be the same.

gunfan
03-06-2013, 09:58 PM
The SD of a .380 100 gr FP is .113, the SD of a .32 acp 75 gr fp is .111. As I said not really any difference in penetration as SD's are essentially the same and so are the velocities out of pocket guns such as the Keltecs. The .32 is a little more controllable while the .380 crushes a bit more tissue, "Angels dancing on the head of a pin". The effect of either would be the same.

Perhaps, but the ability to control, and accurately place the rounds is a larger portion of the equation. I prefer accurately placed rounds. I can empty either my Yugo (Tokarev) M70, or my FIE (Tanfoglio of Italy) "Titan" accurately, and in short order this can be performed with consummate alacrity. the lower recoil of the .32 ACP enhances theplacment of the bullets. Both pistols are sufficiently stable to dump the entire magazine into either a person's face or sternum (breastbone) with consummate alacrity. This should produce death or incapacitation rather quickly.

Take that for what it's worth.

Scott

Piedmont
03-06-2013, 11:08 PM
The SD of a .380 100 gr FP is .113, the SD of a .32 acp 75 gr fp is .111. As I said not really any difference in penetration as SD's are essentially the same and so are the velocities out of pocket guns such as the Keltecs.

This is what I feared. Someone would come along with some actual sectional density and velocity figures or some actual gelatin penetration tests and the whole "it's a magic cartridge" arguement would go right down the toilet.

There is a .32 thread somewhere on this board started by Molly that goes on and on and on and it is entertaining but be sure to wear your hip boots when reading it and don't bother checking any ballistic charts. I think the original poster in that one started out comparing the .32 long from a revolver to the .30 carbine from a rifle. If you don't have the ballistics in your head already, don't check, the .32 Long isn't magic either.

gunfan
03-07-2013, 12:26 AM
The .32 Long is not a "magic cartridge." the point of shooting the .32 is accuracy. More than anything, the low recoil coupled with the pin-point capabilities of the .32 makes it easier to shoot accuracy under stress. When you put these two together, the .32 Long killed a number of bad guys by both early 20th century police officers. (NYC's first revolvers were .32 Colt New Police revolvers chambered for the .32 Colt New Police (a.k.a. the .32 S&W Long.) It was carried well into the 1960s' by both Detectives and police Matrons (policewomen.) An early 1920's southern Sheriff killed a substantial number of bad guys with the .32 Long. It was the man behind the handgun that made the difference.

The penetration of the 1984 introduction of the .32 H&R Magnum increased the effectiveness of the .32 caliber revolver cartridges. 2007 saw the introduction of the .327 Federal Magnum drove the .32 caliber revolver to finally exceed the .32-20's legendary performance. The newer Magnum makes the .32 a real "hot rock" round and brings the "little" Magnum to it's peak!

Scott

45 2.1
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
It's where the boolit is placed and what it does inside the body cavity (or where ever) that dictates it's effectiveness or lack of. Reports from the street and ballistics tables ARE WORTHLESS if you can't shoot and have a cool head under pressure. Actual shooting tests on varmints and game animals show that blunt nose and hollow points work........ provided that is enough animal for the blunts to work in. Penetration isn't anything when it doesn't do much inside...... and that's a well proven fact.

Outpost75
11-06-2015, 11:25 PM
Accurate has the proper heavy bullet for maximum effort loads in sturdy, steel-framed .32 ACPs. I use the Accurate 31-087T in my Beretta 3032 INOX Tomcat, Beretta M1935, CZ27 and Walther PP pistols with a compressed charge of 5.5 grains of Alliant #2400 in Fiocchi brass with a Federal 200 small pistol magnum primer. Cartridge OAL 0.950-0.960". This approaches .380 ACP payload and velocity. Velocity 825 fps in the Tomcat with 2.4" barrel and 939 fps in CZ27 with 3.8" barrel.

Petrol & Powder
11-10-2015, 10:35 AM
The .380 Auto has long enjoyed more popularity in the U.S. when compared to the 32 ACP. That is somewhat unfortunate at times but very predictable as well.

In a good quality pistol with the right loading, the 32 ACP can perform very well. However, few shooters take full advantage of the potential good qualities of the 32 ACP and its reputation is often tarnished by mediocre ammunition and guns.
The rest of the world seems to have embraced the 32 ACP more than the U.S.A. and there are some good pistols out there to be had.

For me the 32 ACP will never replace my fondness for the 38 Special and 9mm Lugar cartridges but I'll give credit where it's due. In the right gun there's a lot more to that little auto cartridge than meets the eye.

FergusonTO35
11-10-2015, 04:55 PM
I love my little Kel-Tec and can shoot it fast with good accuracy. I keep it fed with 2.1 grains Titewad and a Federal Gold Medal primer under a 76 grain flat point slug from an Accurate mold, .945 OAL. Across my chrono it gets a consistent 890 fps. I added a Wolff 11 pound recoil spring to help the frame and slide. I also trimmed back the ejector blade well more than half, now she throws empties 2 or 3 feet away instead of into the next county. Finally I deactivated the slide hold open by trimming the tab that engages the mag follower. It has never been reliable on my pistol and is just one more thing to go wrong.

35remington
11-10-2015, 07:19 PM
Be careful of increasing recoil spring strength too much. The problem is that it increases the tendency of the gun to jam. Practice, okay, but for carry you might want to put the standard spring in it. These little pistols have a small window in which they operate effectively and narrowing that window can cause problems on a pistol that's running on the ragged edge of reliability in the first place.

To see how heavier springs give the pistol less room to run correctly, peruse this video. Slide closing speed become much faster, giving the round in the magazine less time to rise before the breechface comes forward. The tiny flea weight slides of the little 32's are really accelerated rapidly by heavier springs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3UVLm2GajI&app=desktop

Hang in there until the videos of the slide moving with different spring weights comes on. The slo-mo footage is instructional.

FergusonTO35
11-10-2015, 10:58 PM
My pistol functions just fine with the 11 pound spring and lighter loads. It did not like the 13 pound spring, even with my hotter defense ammo.

Bigslug
11-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Seeking additional support to re-launch the Ranch Dog .32 and .380 molds: http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,1009.0.html

This seems like as good a place to continue plugging as any.:drinks:

As has been said already - .32 vs .380. . . flip a coin. The trick is to get over America's fascination with hollowpoints and team up penetration with a tissue crushing meplat. Neither is the Hammer of Thor, but either is FAR better than thumbs in your adversary's eye sockets.

Very hard to beat the Colt 1903 and it's contemporaries for easy control with a round that can serve in the "better than a knife" role.

Outpost75
11-30-2016, 02:57 PM
Anyone else load the Hornady .32 85gr XTP in the .32?

CD

3 grains AutoComp, 85-grain Hornady XTP in Starline brass with Federal 200 primer, 975 fps, 8 Sd for n=8 rds. from Walther PP with 3.9" barrel, 25 inches water jug penetration with expansion .40-.45 cal.

FergusonTO35
12-08-2016, 09:33 AM
I sold my P32 to buy another gun since I wasn't carrying it much. Since then, I also bought a Ruger LCP. Nothing wrong with the LCP, but I've come to realize that .32 Auto is just a better cartridge for a gun of this size in every way. Seriously thinking about calling the fun store and telling them to order me a P32 in hard chrome since they don't make it in stainless. Anybody have experience with this finish? Decisions, decisions...

Texas by God
12-09-2016, 09:31 AM
I've always felt the .32 to be more accurate than the .380- rightly or wrongly. Every .32 auto I've owned has shot well enough to hunt squirrels with (and it's effective). Just this week I bought a 60's vintage Walther PP 7.65 and yesterday morning it rode in my coveralls pocket while still hunting the creek bottom for deer. I can't wait to pinch my fingers reloading John Browning's first ACP offering. Best, Thomas.

Dan Cash
12-09-2016, 11:09 AM
P32 in hard chrome since they don't make it in stainless. Anybody have experience with this finish?============
A hard industrial chrome plating is used on the feed tray, gas piston and tube and the feed lever of the M240 machine gun. These are extremely high wear components but the plating is rarely seen flaked or worn through and then, only on guns with very high round counts.

My .32 is a .32-20 with a 105 gr bullet at 1300fps in a 5" Colt. On Raccoons, porcupines and coyotes it makes a terrible wound and kills quickly. I did kill a downer cow with it; near contact head shot but bullet stayed in cranial cavity. The gun is a good carry piece, especially paired with a carbine of same caliber but not my choice of weapon for the big city.

Outpost75
12-09-2016, 11:51 AM
Additional molds from Tom Ellis at Accurate which are in the Accurate online catalog and available now with 3-weeks delivery lead time:

Recommended minimum ctg. OAL 0.945", Velocities in 3.5" barrel:

31-077B Approximates Buffalo Bore +P 1000 fps with 5.9 grains of Alliant #2400 or 3 grains of Unique
31-090B Approximates Buffalo Bore bullet shape and energy 900 fps with heavier 90-grain bullet for enhanced penetration, recommended charges are 5.6 grs. of Alliant #2400 or 3 grains AutoComp
31-090V Ogival wadcutter feeds in Colt M1903 and is recommended as small game load 900 fps with either 2.3 grains of HP38 or 5.6 of #2400
31-095T is heaviest and most blunt bullet which feeds reliably in Colt M1903, recommended charges 2.5 grs. AutoComp, or 5.2 of #2400 for 850 fps.

9.3X62AL
12-09-2016, 12:50 PM
I share the above-expressed view concerning the 32 ACP that it is more accurate than its larger cousin the 380 ACP. More than a dozen examples in each caliber over the years have borne this out IME.

I don't (yet) have any of the above-listed Accurate Molds, but I do have a Lyman tool in this caliber and weight-class--the #313249. I sized a number of these to fit my Walther PP and stair-stepped Alliant 2400 in W-W cases to the 5.5 grain level, OAL @ .975". They ran well, and are satisfyingly stout. I saved 20 for hunting, and so far I'm 2 for 4 vs. the evil jackrabbits that infest the East Mojave. The full-caliber shoulder does decent work on small critters, in spite of its round-nose profile.

Re--Dan Cash and the 32/20 loads mentioned.......I don't run my Colt or S&W 32/20 revolvers that strongly. The Lee 100 grainer gets to about 1000-1025 FPS, the 115-120 grainers get to 950-975 FPS. Your tools = your business, but just not a place I would travel.

Texas by God
12-09-2016, 04:55 PM
To further elaborate on the accuracy element, I once had a 1922 FN .32 that would hang with all my friend's Colt, High Standard, and Ruger target .22 pistols. My best friend had a S&W model 41 that would outshoot it. To this date the most accurate .380 I have fired is my daughter's Glock 42. And it doesn't compare to the AP74 FEG I had(7.65) Best, Thomas.

Good Cheer
12-10-2016, 08:14 PM
For a hunting pistol .32ACP with #313249 in a 6" barrel is the only combo I ever thought was good enough for north Texas stock pond ducks.
Uh, not of course that I would ever actually commit such a horrible crime.

tejano
12-10-2016, 08:59 PM
I shoot bullets of various weights in my 32 autos. Pictured left to right: 62 gr. LSWC, 90 gr. LSWC, 96-97 gr. FP, 71 gr. FMJ. I also shoot Rimrock's 75 gr. FP now and then but I am out of them right now.

JWFilips
12-10-2016, 09:04 PM
All In All; the 32 Acp Will best any 380 load My humble opinion: I will carry a 32 acp over a 38 Kurtz!

charlie b
12-10-2016, 10:26 PM
I did like my 1903. It was so accurate that I went on a quest to find a full frame .32ACP. Never did buy one but thought one would be fun to shoot.

tejano
12-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Probably crazy but I would like to see Ruger modify the new MK IV to shoot the 32 acp. Why should Pardini own the target gun market in 32 acp?

Texas by God
12-12-2016, 09:11 PM
For a hunting pistol .32ACP with #313249 in a 6" barrel is the only combo I ever thought was good enough for north Texas stock pond ducks.
Uh, not of course that I would ever actually commit such a horrible crime.
Uh- me neither..... Ever shoot .32 ACP in a .32 H&R revolver? Works but not that accurate. Best, Thomas.

9.3X62AL
12-13-2016, 04:24 PM
Any 380 ACP with respectable accuracy would surprise me. I have yet to look at or fire one of the new baby Glock 380s. Best-of-breed in that caliber was a SIG-Sauer P-230 stainless I had for a few months. I lost interest in it when if got its accuracy lunch handed to it by my Walther PP in 32 ACP. Not even close, jacketed or cast.

I have always found it interesting that the target pistol makers chamber their wares for 32 ACP.

Outpost75
12-13-2016, 05:51 PM
Agree that the SIG P230 is most accurate .380 ACP out there, sadly that model has been discontinued.

The 232 has more bells and whistles, but is not an improvement.

My 1960s era German Walther PPs in .32 ACP are more accurate than any .380 ACP I have tried.

Texas by God
12-14-2016, 12:16 AM
I would take back every .32 auto I've ever owned and let go. The .380s? Nah. I fully intend to keep my Walther PP now that I FINALLY have one. Best, Thomas.

Low Budget Shooter
12-22-2016, 04:08 AM
In all my experiments with a Kel-Tec P32 a few years ago, the pistol and cartridge performed great.