PDA

View Full Version : De-leading the barrel

armoredman
08-11-2007, 12:49 PM
When I cleaned my 10-8, itty bitty flakes of lead came out, all over the place. Cleanup was actually pretty easy, but I only fired about 30 rounds, all cast. I wonder if there is a specific product to remove lead that may be available all over? I used Outers bore Cleaner and Weapon Shield CLP with standard bronze brush.

Maven
08-11-2007, 01:05 PM
The least expensive and most widely available product, i.e., at your supermarket, is a "Chore Boy"/"Chore Girl" copper scrubbing pad (soapless; copper only!). You cut one apart and wrap it around a worn bore brush and then have at the copper fouling. You can use it dry or with your favorite bore solvent.

armoredman
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Great!

gray wolf
08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
What he said

454PB
08-11-2007, 03:13 PM
Slug the barrel.....that will push all the chunks out. Then a brass brush and some good old Hoppes will polish it up.

Bass Ackward
08-11-2007, 05:13 PM
When I cleaned my 10-8, itty bitty flakes of lead came out, all over the place. Cleanup was actually pretty easy, but I only fired about 30 rounds, all cast. I wonder if there is a specific product to remove lead that may be available all over? I used Outers bore Cleaner and Weapon Shield CLP with standard bronze brush.

My question to you is, how much of that is buildup and how much of that is from each shot? If you are flaking like that, I say leave it in there next time until you get 100 rounds and see if you have any more than the 30. If not, then leave it.

Another option to get things to smooth up is to brush every so many rounds. A bullet must pass steel each time or it ends up polishing lead. Pretty soon, things smooth up and you don't have lead to worry about.