PDA

View Full Version : starting to think about a new press

TheDoctor
03-04-2013, 10:57 PM
For a while, I have been liking my Loadmaster. The one thing that drives me absolutely nuts is consistent COL. If I run it as a turret, it is absolutely perfect. Except for the fact that for me it is slower than a normal turret press when used as such. When I go progressive, I can get +.03 variations. Way too much for me to accept. For some cowboy action loads, it will work, but when you can visually see that a bullet is not seated enough, that's just wrong.

I had not problems getting the press set up and functioning. No issues with the priming system. I actually LIKE being able to prime on the handles down stroke. One reason I have kept with this press for a while till I could get the COL issue addressed. Also one of the main reasons I bought this press.

I started in earnest trying to discover what the problem was, and why I was getting inconsistent COL. Read and learned lots. And the more I read and learned, the more aggravated I became.

Most solutions people give are regarding which die goes where to even out the forces on the turret and shell plate. Others are modifying the turret with JB weld and setscrews to take any play out of it. Others recommend taking the carrier to a machine shop and having the inside support ribs milled to the same height so there will not be a tilt on the shellplate. It is apparently all cast, no machining done to ensure they index all around at the same height.

Upon reading that last bit is what got my goat. I understand that the Loadmaster IS capable of loading good rounds. I have loaded many on mine. I understand that it will require a "little" tweaking. I have tweaked it to where it runs smoothly, and without the COL issue, I am very happy with it. But having to buy or modify components to the point that they are basically custom made is ENOUGH! I realize that this machine is lower cost than an equivalent RCBS, Hornady, or Dillon. But tweaking here and there to make it run smoothly is one thing, having to utilize equipment that the average person does not have to re-machine the puppy is something else. This press is about to become my dedicated decapping/get the media out of the flash hole machine.

That having been said, I know of no machine out there other than the 1050 that will allow you to prime on the down stroke of the handle. That isn't absolutely critical. Quite a few of my loads I hand prime anyway. I also like having a 5 hole turret, but sometimes, for certain cartridges/loads, would really like 6. Those are the two main features I would like, but probably can not get on anything other than the Loadmaster. I would dearly love to have a 1050, but honestly can not justify needing, or in reality, wanting one. Load too many different cartridges, and normally at the max, 500 of each at a time. Some loads I load so few of I use a single stage.

I have never used an RCBS progressive, but you will have to pry my Rockchucker out of my cold dead hands..... Have never used a Hornady press of any kind. I have a SDB for 45 Colt, but never really use it anymore. That, and a friends been "borrowing" it now for the past three years! Have seen the 550 and 650 in action, but have never had to change calibers on either of them.

How do most of the progressives out there now do for COL consistency? I would like to assume that the shell plates would be perpendicular to the ram, with a minimum/no wobble. I would like to think that someone has engineered a die turret that will give you the same results whether you run a single case through, or it's loaded up all around.

I know when it comes to my tools, it's buy once, cry once. I took a chance on the Loadmaster press. Price wasn't the issue. I liked the features it had, and could not see a reason WHY it would be giving the issue it is giving me. Watching the how-to videos on it, it seemed like it would be a simple press to get set up and operate. And it is. But I would have thought that some basic milling would have been done where it's critical.

So, I guess once the market turns around and things start becoming available again, if they are still legal at that time, I need a new press. I don't want to have a progressive that I end up having to use as a turret. If I wanted a turret, I would have bought a turret! Now I have to figure out what I want.....

USMC87
03-05-2013, 10:41 AM
I load on a Dillon 550 and have great results, I had a loadmaster for about a week and that was all for me. I myself am very satisfied with th 550, The caliber change is no big deal and if you only have one powder measure it don't take long to readjust the charge. I like the prime system on Dillon also, Priming on the downstroke is the deal. If you have the chance to operate the Dillons take the opportunity. Rcbs and Hornady are excellent products, I have both in single stage but have never used their progressives, i'm sure they are excellent also. Good luck with the new press you decide on.

Regnar
03-05-2013, 06:17 PM
As far a turret presses go, I like my Lyman. I reload 6BR and .223 for precision long guns.
And I have recently received a Dillon 550. It's great for my .40, but I haven't loaded any rifle loads with it. I am certain it is up to the task.

bear67
03-05-2013, 09:01 PM
I started with a single stage Herters in 1959 and added as I could. Had a couple Dillon SDBs set up for 45 and 38/357 and used them for years and added Lyman Turrets for rifle loads. I got a Loadmaster and all the "stuff" in a gun trade, but I could never get it to do the consistant quality I thought I needed. Then I traded loaded .45 acp ammo for a new, never assembled Dillon 550 and I have not looked back. I sold the Loadmaster a while back and sold one SDB to a shooting friend (.38) and "loaned the son in law the .45 SDB. Now I guess I need another 550 where I can leave one for small primers and one for large. Really doesn't take much time to change over--about 1 minutes last night changing from .45 to 9mm.

Crazy_T
03-06-2013, 04:48 PM
I still have my first press it is a RCBS ammo-master the caliber changes aren't that difficult but would be a lot faster on the newer ammo-master 2000 just change the die plate and shell plate my COL stays very consistent and i just added the rcbs lockout die I load from 380 to 45LC on this press and have had very good luck with it also the customer support is very good

Crazy

Artful
03-06-2013, 05:56 PM
Started on RCBS Jr - gave it to a friend when I moved
Gave my CH 333 to a friend when his was loaned to his son then lost/stolen.

Currently have
Bonanza Co-Ax
Huntington W hand press
Lee Turret press
Dillon RL-300
Dillon RL-450

love all my presses but think my next will be the Lee hand press to go with my other hand press.

375supermag
03-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Hi...

I started with a Lee single-stage press and loaded quite a few thousand rounds on it before I began to realize that maybe all that flexing wasn't conducive to quality ammunition.
So I "upgraded" to a Lee 1000...didn't take too long to realize that was a mistake.
I then really did upgrade to a RCBS RockChucker which has loaded many thousands of rounds with nary a problem.

However, with my son's ability to fire off hundreds and hundreds of rounds in an afternoon at the range and loading for a friend as well, it is becoming obvious that a progressive is in my future.
I have been looking very hard at the Hornady L-N-L Ammo Plant.
We go through about 6-12K rounds of handgun ammunition a year at this point and that keeps me pretty busy on a single stage press.
Once I start reloading the numbers of 9mm that my friend anticipates shooting per year, I am going to be squeezed for time if I don't do something to increase my production rate.

I sure don't need the expense of acquiring a progressive, but it looks like I am not going to have much choice, if I want any free time at all.

I don't like the idea of not cleaning primer pockets and inspecting each case after every operation but I suppose I will need to make concessions.
I have primed for years on an RCBS APS priming tool (bench-mounted) and removing that step will also remove one more inspection step.

I also worry about not weighing every tenth powder charge, which is part of my standard ritual.

What I really need is a clone to take my place at work, so I can devote my time to important tasks like reloading, shooting and hunting.

onomrbil
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Redding. Not sure what cartridges you will be loading, but Redding makes a press that will do it precisely. I have used a Redding Ultramag for years. I wouldn't trade or replace it on any bet!

tbird1960
03-06-2013, 11:44 PM
I have several presses including a 550 and an rcbs ammo master. I like the Redding t7 the best and have been loading for over 50 years.

Cane_man
03-08-2013, 01:25 AM
Hornady LnL Auto Progressive

jakharath
03-08-2013, 09:46 AM
Here's another vote for the Dillon 550. They have been around for a long time so there's lots of caliber conversions, toolheads, etc... in the wild. They can often be purchased second hand very resonably. Great for bulk pistol and rilfe ammo.

dverna
03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
If you want a press than primes on the down-stroke the only other machine to the 1050 is a Star. I have one in .38 and it works extremely well.