PDA

View Full Version : Hand priming tool recommendations

7br
03-04-2013, 10:24 PM
I currently have a lee prime all and it does the job I need it too. I am setting up another reloading bench at my Dad's place for a variety of nieces and nephews. I have everything but the primer setup. I have an RCBS press with the most of the priming system, but am missing the tubes. For the price of the tubes, I might as well get another hand primer. Any recommendations?

dbosman
03-04-2013, 10:38 PM
I like my Lee hand primer, unless I'm using a progressive, that's what I'd suggest.

wool1
03-04-2013, 10:39 PM
For the money, the lee's are tough to beat.....people can qualify the answer with pay more get more, but lee will do everything you need. Spend more if you need the features offered by the higher dollar units, don't if they aren't.

1Shirt
03-04-2013, 10:40 PM
I hand prime with a lee as I watch T.V. Usually do 2-300 cases at a time.
1Shirt!

badboyparamedic
03-04-2013, 10:43 PM
I have one of the older Lee Hand Primers with the round trays, it has seen quite a bit of use but still works fine. If you would like it for the bench at your Dads place just PM me, I would be glad to donate it to you.

John Allen
03-04-2013, 11:00 PM
I am using the RCBS one I like it. It is sensitive enough to feel the primers going in and stopping.

Mk42gunner
03-04-2013, 11:17 PM
I like the RCBS Hand Priming Tool, the one that uses regular shell holders. I have had it for around twenty years with absolutely no problems. It fits my hand better than the Lee.

Robert

Andrew Mason
03-05-2013, 12:38 AM
I like the RCBS Hand Priming Tool, the one that uses regular shell holders. I have had it for around twenty years with absolutely no problems. It fits my hand better than the Lee.

Robert

i have the RCBS too, i really like it because of the use of standard shell holders as well.
i have a very old lee hand prime, one that must have each primer loaded in by hand... and it uses some special thread in shell holders.

jmort
03-05-2013, 01:00 AM
I have two of the "old" Lee Precision hand primers. Kept them lubed and still going strong over 10 years. Want to get the new Lee Precision Ergo Prime - looks cool in Lee Precision red.

Lloyd Smale
03-05-2013, 06:53 AM
wish I had a penny for every case ive primed with the lee!!!!!

winelover
03-05-2013, 08:22 AM
Have both the Lee and RCBS hand priming tools. RCBS is better made but PIA changing over from one size priming to the other. Since I don't load SR, I just leave the RCBS set for LR and do all pistol on the Lee. WFM.

Winelover

Bonz
03-05-2013, 09:13 AM
+1 on the RCBS hand priming tool. I can actually feel the priming which has saved me from wasting primers on tight pockets

DxieLandMan
03-05-2013, 10:29 AM
I have the Lee hand prime and it does the trick. I had the one with round trays but the handle broke. Easy fix was to get the new one with square trays. They both use the same shell holders and it works for me.

Wayne Smith
03-05-2013, 10:36 AM
After breaking two Lee tools I invested in RCBS. I have one of each, one that uses the shell holders and one with the universal holder. I've not had major problems with either, but you do have to use current RCBS shell holders in that machine. I had an old, huge one that wouldn't come close to fitting and the interior holes in the Lee are too small.

Bent Ramrod
03-05-2013, 05:03 PM
I have the old Lee with the screw in shell holder that does one at a time, the newer Lee with the round tray and the RCBS hand primer with the polygonal tray. They all work, and I use them all as the mood strikes me. As mentioned, the changing of shell holders on the RCBS is a little more involved than the same change on the Lee with the tray. The RCBS' use of their standard shell holders means that that shell holder is tied up while it is in the primer and can't be used for reloading unless replaced with another shell holder. Letting the thing go slack with no shell holder in place means fifteen minutes or so of sorting out parts to get it working again. And putting in a shell holder to keep it together. Also some of the older RCBS holders, and many of the other manufacturers' holders, don't fit in the RCBS primer without some modifications. The Lee holders are specific to the Lee primer, and can't be used for anything else, but they are pretty cheap, and can be kept in the Lee primer without tying up another part of the reloading operation. Changing out the shell holder, or the small or large priming setup, is pretty easily done. The thing is mostly plastic and pot metal, which means that it will break or wear out more quickly, but I haven't wrecked or worn mine out yet.

The Lee has a more secure closure on the tray lid than the RCBS. Popping in a sticky primer can sometimes loosen the lid on the RCBS tray and make the primers jump around or fall out. The Lee does not have a shutoff on the lid, but I can't see that it is necessary anyway. Likewise, the RCBS safety device that isolates the primer being seated from the rest of them in the tray is a solution to a problem that never happens, at least to me.

The big advantage of the RCBS is the power comes from the palm of your hand and all four fingers. If you're getting old and arthritic, or your thumbs aren't strong, the RCBS is the easiest to use. The Lee rests in your hand, but your thumb is doing all the pressing on the seating lever, so it is a little more tiring. I usually give it a two handed grip and use both thumbs.

Moonie
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
I've had all of the lee's except the one with screw in shell holders, of them I like the new ergo prime the best. The ergo prime is opposite of the other Lee's, you don't use your thumb, you use the other 4 fingers, like the RCBS that I used to own.

jmort
03-05-2013, 06:21 PM
I expect the Ergo Prime will be very popular based on price and new design.
On Midway USA the RCBS Universal Hand Priming Tool gets 4.2 stars based on 64 reviews and costs $62.00. The Lee Precision Ergo Prime get a 3.8 based on 46 reviews and costs $32.00, and the RCBS Hand Priming Tool get 3.4 based on 116 reviews and costs $40.00.

uscra112
03-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I used a Lee for about half a zillion loads, but then I bought a Hornady hand-held and immediately retired the Lee.

The only trick with the Hornady is to replace the snap-in stud for the tray lid with a 6-32 screw from the back, with a wingnut on the top. The lever arrangement on the Hornady is far, far, FAR less tiring than the Lee, and the whole tool is far better made, except for that snap-in stud. It uses standard RCBS type shellholders, so no need to have a set of the flat Lee kind. This is a real boon to me, because I load some obsolete cases for which Lee does not even have a suitable shell-holder.

I really would never again buy the Lee.

onomrbil
03-06-2013, 09:52 PM
K&M Tools. Don't bother with anything else if you want true precision primer depth seating and reliability.

.22-10-45
03-06-2013, 10:39 PM
I started with the early Lee using the fine thread shellholders, then went to the RCBS..when I finally got serious about consistancy and accuracy..bought the K&M..solid steel const. & freedom from that die-cast mushy feel.

HARRYMPOPE
03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
I have Sinclair-k&m-Lee-RCBS(old single)-Meecham Pope style and Lachmiller bench tool.All do a good job.The Lee(old style) does most of my home work and the Meecham is my range kit tool.The best cast bullet BR shooter i ever shot against used a standard lee and sat it in a coffee cup to keep it upright on the bench.This guy had $3000+ in the rifle and felt the Lee's feel was good enough.

George

fouronesix
03-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Since I don't mass produce any reload I like the hand priming tool for one-at-a-time primer seating.

Picked up the RCBS version in a free box of junk a few years ago. Tried it a couple of times and threw it back in the box.

The pot metal el cheapo Lee with the round feed tray is OK. I just cut off the plastic tray holder and use it as a one at a time primer. Kind of handy with the bayonet type shell holder system.

Before that I used the old Lee type with the screw-in dedicated shell holders. Actually, that was a better design than the new ones IMO, but finding correct shell holders for odd ball calibers became impossible.

For most reloading I use an old Sinclair (or whatever they were originally since it has no maker's mark)- built like a tank and super feel for primer bottoming out. Really a SUPERIOR tool. Picked it out of the junk tray for $10 in a gunshop about 17 yrs ago. Today I think the comparable tool is way north of $100.

Left to right:
Wilson/Sinclair---Lee (sans round tray)---Older Lee

TheDoctor
03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
I have both versions of the RCBS. For all around use, I prefer the older style that takes shell holders. The universal one is ok for me, if I am only priming just a few, but it is touchy with alignment on large calibers. The old style takes me about 30 seconds to change primer size and shell holders.

357maximum
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
I do not get to say this very often...I prefer the Lee hand prime over any other priming device I have ever used. I have sent all the RCBS primers both bench and hand units down the road....I PREFER THE LEE. When I wanna get picky I still have the priming unit on top of my Co-AX, but it gets used very little as I believe I can do a better/faster job with the lee handheld auto-prime. I can prime cases with the lee almost as fast as I can fill the primer tubes on the RCBS bench unit and the end result is still great....why bother?

JohnFM
03-07-2013, 02:41 PM
I just like priming off the press and have been using one of the older RCBS tools for a long time.
The one that uses a standard shell holder. I did run into a shell holder from some maker once I had to run a counter sink into to remove a little metal before it would work with the RCBS.
No idea how many thousands of primers have been installed with it, never a problem, just wish I could fine a place to buy some extra trays so if I have a few primers left from a session I could just leave then in the tray and grab a different one for another primer type. I stick one of those "Post it notes" on the tray so I don't forget what Primer I have in the tray.

Toobroke
03-07-2013, 08:06 PM
I have the Lee, Hornady and K&M. I like and use them all. For me they ended up: the Lee for small pistol/rifle, Hornady for large pistol and the K&M for large rifle.

Blanket
03-07-2013, 08:30 PM
I have multiple RCBS, Hornady, Lee screw in and Lee round trays. My favorite before you could not get thumb pieces are the round tray lee's now the RCBS

nightal
03-08-2013, 10:40 AM
I just bought a new Lee unit, it keeps jamming, the plastic top, right where they go into the hole to be fed keeps raising up, causing the primers to either feed upside down, or turn on their sides, or double stack, where the little Tee Pee is. when this happens the plastic lid raises up, then the primers spill out, or just jam the unit. I have taken it apart many times, looking for defects, can't prime more that 5-6 primers before this happens. tried putting a rubber band around the plastic tray but it holds the lid down to tight. what am I doing wrong. ...:confused:.Thanks in advance....Al

jmort
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
^ Did you get the new Ergo Prime or the square tray model? I have heard good things about the Ergo Prime. Call Lee Precision, they will make it right. I agree with the above, nothing better than the old round style Lee Precision Auto Prime. Will report back once I get an Ergo Prime

nightal
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
I bought the one with the square tray.

km101
03-09-2013, 03:00 PM
I hand prime with a Lee. I have two of the old style (round tray) units. They work better and feel better for me than anything made since. I use one for small primers and one for large, that way I dont have to change anything but the shellholder.

jmort
03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
"I bought the one with the square tray."

Since you already have the shell holders, I would give the Ergo Prime a try, I expect you will like it.

opos
03-09-2013, 04:00 PM
I use the old Lee primer....Being "belt and suspenders" careful I thought I should have a spare because I don't like the newer square tray Lee as well...so off to E play I went...I now have 3 of them (super cheap and in great shape) so when one breaks (which it probably won't) I'm covered...sort of like guns....they multiply. I've also got one of the little units that goes on the single stage press...slow but really positive and I like the one primer at a time deal...never had one detonate but if it did I'd not want a bunch of primers in a tube...

Chicken Thief
03-09-2013, 05:17 PM
I hand prime with a lee as I watch T.V. Usually do 2-300 cases at a time.
1Shirt!

Amen to that bro!

40Super
03-09-2013, 05:22 PM
I have the original RCBS that I got in the nineties, works fine, I have multiples of most common shellholders so it doesn't matter if one is left on the primer.

Pavogrande
03-09-2013, 05:31 PM
I don't suppose it helps the OP much but I still favor my lyman tong tool for priming --

bear67
03-10-2013, 03:05 PM
I am very seldom disappointed with Lee, but the square tray current model does not cut it for me. The clear lid does not stay on. The ram jumps out if you hold or place it wrong and my big hands get tired after a short priming run. I had an older round tray lee, but could not find it when moving reloading equipment from the farm shot to the little machine shop at the house.

Using a RCBS bench mount and like it so far and it uses regular shell holders. I am working on a homemade vribrating primer tube filler--will share results if it works ok.

historicfirearms
03-10-2013, 06:38 PM
I hate my rcbs hand held, sometimes. Once in a while the priming rod gets jammed up in the plastic primer chute and I have to tap it back down. It doesn't seem to matter if I hold pressure on the plastic piece either way, I've fiddled with it for thousands of rounds. Some days it frustrates me to no end, I will set it down and come back the next day and it works great. I can't figure it out. I want to buy a new hand primer but whenever I make my mind up to order a new one the rcbs starts working good again.

Green Frog
03-10-2013, 10:26 PM
My first single primer was a 310 tool about 30 years ago. Then I went through the second generation Lee (round tray) and a couple of things not worthy of note. THEN I discovered The Jerry Simmons tool in the schuetzen world and thought I would never need anything else. Since then, I've discovered the first generation Lee, a custom unit from Dave Arawinko, the one Lyman made briefly for their wax bullet set, and a couple of bench tools like the RCBS.

Is there a best one? Yep, the one with the right shell holder in it for me to use right now. I sort of prefer the Simmons, Arawinko and Gen 1 Lee, and do just about as well with any one of those as anything else (unless I go back to the old 310 Tool ;-)) I do prefer the Simmons and Arawinko at Schuetzen because they decap as well as recapping, so the overall process is smoother and faster.

Back to the OP's question, I don't think there is a best one, just whatever works for you when you need to reload. All of the ones that have been mentioned in this thread will get the job done, so whichever one fits your hand (or comes to hand :bigsmyl2:) will do fine. Try it, you'll like it!

Froggie

wyattjames
03-12-2013, 09:36 PM
i have the lee and the rcbs my fav is the lee been using it for atleast 20yrs no complaints

Reloader270
03-13-2013, 02:11 PM
I had used the Lee Hand Prime in the 1980 and then upgraded to the Hornady Hand Prime in the 90's. Thought that the new RCBS Universal would be better and yes as mentioned earlier in this forum, it has allignment issues in Large Rifle Primers. Bought myself the RCBS which use the shell holders later and yes it was better. No allignment problems, but the priming rod fells out when you turn the unit upside down. Engineering fault. One other significant difference is that both the RCBS tools needs a hard sqeeze. Then I decided to buy the new Hornady Hand Prime - it comes with a tray for RCBS Shell Holders and a tray for the Hornady Shell Holders. Does not need such a hard sqeeze and no allignment problems. Also no rods falling out when you turn the unit upside down. Currently this is my priming tool.

jeo22
03-20-2013, 07:58 PM
I just bought a new Lee unit, it keeps jamming, the plastic top, right where they go into the hole to be fed keeps raising up, causing the primers to either feed upside down, or turn on their sides, or double stack, where the little Tee Pee is. when this happens the plastic lid raises up, then the primers spill out, or just jam the unit. I have taken it apart many times, looking for defects, can't prime more that 5-6 primers before this happens. tried putting a rubber band around the plastic tray but it holds the lid down to tight. what am I doing wrong. ...:confused:.Thanks in advance....Al

I've had the same problem , don't know if this will help or not. ( or if I can write it down.)
1) I crisscross rubber bands across primer holder, not to tight.I do this on the square ones even before the tabs break.:D
2) Hold the priming tool at no more than 10 to 15 degrees off level and tilted slightly to the right.
3) watch primers as you prime, make sure everything is going ok,go slow.
4) don't let the primer tray ride back against your chest , I found I was doing this and that was what was unlatching the lid.

Good luck HTH

PULSARNC
03-26-2013, 10:33 PM
I have the older RCBS that uses the shell holders It was used when I got it and it has been going strong since 1995 or so My vote goes to big green !

Char-Gar
03-27-2013, 08:12 AM
I hold the opinion that any kind of hand priming is better than any kind of press priming. The trick it to feel the primer as it goes in and seats. If you use some kind of set up where you can't feel the primer seat, then you has best uniform your primer pockets for sure and for certain, if you want any hope of uniform ignition.

I use an RCBS old squeeze type tool, a RCBS bench tool, Lyman 310 priming dies, and even the hole in handles of old Ideal No. 3 tools to seat primers and don't have a strong preference of which tool I use. As long as I can feel the individual primer seat, I am good to go.

wvmanchu
03-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I use my RCBS hand priming tool religously. Tried priming on my Hornady Progressive press but had nothing but trouble, ranging from no primer to upside down primers and even had one go off in the press. For my money hand priming is the way to go.

country gent
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
I have a Lee round tray, a new lee which will ocassionall let a primer fall out, rcbs and a Hornady hand priming tools. Of all of them I like the Hornady the best. Its fast simple easy to use and has a great "feel" . The other tool I really like is the rcbs bench mounted priming tools.

lightman
03-31-2013, 08:43 PM
I have the Sinclair. Its kinda pricey, but very high quality. I liked it enough that I bought another one. Now I have one set up for each primer size. Before that, I wore out a couple of Lee's and broke another. Lightman

pull the trigger
04-06-2013, 11:09 PM
I do not get to say this very often...I prefer the Lee hand prime over any other priming device I have ever used. I have sent all the RCBS primers both bench and hand units down the road....I PREFER THE LEE. When I wanna get picky I still have the priming unit on top of my Co-AX, but it gets used very little as I believe I can do a better/faster job with the lee handheld auto-prime. I can prime cases with the lee almost as fast as I can fill the primer tubes on the RCBS bench unit and the end result is still great....why bother?

I have been curious about the bench rcbs, but was a little afraid to lay down the $$, glad I read this. It is just my thumb gets really sore after a few hundred rounds, maybe I should just toughen up.

dakota
04-19-2013, 02:26 PM
I've bought a couple of Lee's back when they came out. I keep them lubricated. I like them. Never tried the RCBS, but that looks like it would be good too.

mold maker
04-19-2013, 03:26 PM
I still have and use the first LEE hand priming tool from the 80s. I bought a second so as not to change sizes.
when the New Improved model was introduced I hurriedly bought 2 spares of the old model.
As usual the "new improved" meant cheaper made.

mpmarty
04-19-2013, 05:57 PM
I have the LEE round tray but quit using it whan I got a ram-prime unit (mounts on top of the press like a die and takes a standard shell holder). That is the nicest priming system I've ever used. I even pre prime my rifle cases before thay go into the Dillon where the first station is an M die.

gunoil
04-25-2013, 06:55 AM
lee ergo hand primer .. part#90250 $28.79

On sale now @ midwayusa.com
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962031/lee-auto-prime-ergo-prime-hand-priming-tool

Canadian reloader
04-25-2013, 08:33 PM
Can remember back when I use to prime for my dear old dad on his biar press {still have it} then got a lee hand primer when they first came out. Wore out 2 of them and now me and the wife use the RCBS ones.And yes have watched lots of tv and primed at the same time.:popcorn::popcorn:

chsparkman
06-08-2013, 09:21 PM
The RCBS APS hand priming tool is the best I have used. You don't have to mess with primer trays or worry about dropping primers. You can sit and watch TV and prime hundreds of cases with ease.

daengmei
06-08-2013, 10:52 PM
I've been reloading just a couple years. Bought the Lee ram prime and for me it's very easy to "feel" the seating. Just recently I bought the K&M hand primer and again it's very good for me, I don't even mind the one at a time that probably hurts those with arthritis problems. I just don't get the "while watching TV" folks. I feel that every step of the reloading process requires your undivided attention.

Nickle
06-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Lee. I've shot some mighty small groups using ammo I primed with a Lee. Used to compete benchrest, heavy varmint, light varmint, sporter and hunter classes, both IBS and NBRSA. That's what I used, and they were common.

Wayne Smith
06-12-2013, 11:44 AM
I have discovered that the new RCBS Universal shell holder has a tendency to sometimes eject a .32 Short case. Fun chasing them around the room! I'm not sure what it would do with a .25ACP case!

Smoke4320
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
3 lee round tray primers , 1 Rcbs , 1 hornady, 1 ram prime
seems like I almost always use the LEE
fast simple and just works ..
after nearly 30 years ( and many many 1000's of rounds) I finally broke one of the pot metal linkages quick call and I had a new one

Firebricker
06-20-2013, 08:36 PM
I like the RCBS hand primer and keep two of them on the bench. Thinking about trading up to the new Universal shell holder version of the RCBS. FB

mac60
06-20-2013, 10:35 PM
lee ergo hand primer .. part#90250 $28.79

On sale now @ midwayusa.com
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/962031/lee-auto-prime-ergo-prime-hand-priming-tool

Got one a few weeks ago (from Titan). I like it. It's well engineered and comfortable to use.

1500FPS
06-21-2013, 08:24 AM
I have been using the RCBS hand primer for quite a few years. The only thing I can fault with it is the little tendon on the lid wears and the lid becomes loose causing problems.

Petrol & Powder
06-21-2013, 09:27 AM
I'll throw in - I'll use a Lee hand primer when working with a single stage press. I've broken a few Lee's over the years but they are relatively cheap and they don't fail that often. If I'm going to load large numbers I go to a progressive press, so it's kind of a non-issue. Use what works for you.

mold maker
06-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Been using a pair of LEE hand primers for several decades. If ya treat them the way you would an expensive tool, (lube) they will serve you well.
If ya forget the lube (because the're cheap), and just power through, they will break.

jmort
06-21-2013, 11:08 AM
"If ya treat them the way you would an expensive tool, (lube) they will serve you well."

Lubrication is key, I agree. I still have three of the "old" models and they keep on ticking. Wanting to try the new Lee Precision Ergo Prime.

Idz
06-21-2013, 11:53 AM
I like the Lee Ergo and Auto Prime XR because I can feel the primer seat. Its easy to feel a defective/flipped primer or bad case that you'd never notice on a press. After several thousand primers the only problem I've had is mis-aligning the plastic cover and breaking of one of its snap clips. Even so the unit still works! I've never had a primer go off either.

warpspeed
06-21-2013, 07:46 PM
I had a Lee hand primer and while it did the job, I did not like the flimsy feel.

I recently got a K&M. WOW ! Night and Day. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/primer-seater-tools/primer-deluxe.html

Best part is that it uses the Lee holders so if you are looking for an upgrade, you don't have to buy new shell holders.

mac60
06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
I had a Lee hand primer and while it did the job, I did not like the flimsy feel.

I recently got a K&M. WOW ! Night and Day. http://www.kmshooting.com/catalog/primer-seater-tools/primer-deluxe.html

Best part is that it uses the Lee holders so if you are looking for an upgrade, you don't have to buy new shell holders.

Having to handle the primers one at a time is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure it's a nice tool though.

warpspeed
06-22-2013, 07:01 PM
Having to handle the primers one at a time is a deal breaker for me. I'm sure it's a nice tool though.

That is the only drawback but it is not as bad as it sounds.

The tool does have a nice feature where a little ring pops up to put the primer in.

jj850
06-24-2013, 10:01 PM
I got the rcbs aps hand primer about three years ago and have not used the others since. Its easy to feel the primer bottom easy to change sizes and with a strip loader use any primers you want. I have never bought a primer in a strip. It takes about a minute to put 100 primers in strips. the universal shellholder works with everything I have tried. This is my favorite priming tool but I may have to try the bench mounted tool.

Mike Kerr
06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
I prime on the press for the most part, but only because of the volume of pistol caliber rounds which my shooting dictates. My Dillon 450 and 550 see the most duty. However, I still keep and use an RCBS original hand primer and an old Lee Auto Prime. The RCBS is my preferred hand priming tool because it is easy on my hand and I have primed many thousands of cases with it. Its a must have for me.

Land Owner
07-04-2013, 08:02 AM
I broke my 20 y.o. RCBS Posi-Primer and it can't be repaired or replaced, unless someone has one that is willing to sell theirs used. I bought a pricy RCBS bench primer. It is clunky, whippy while swinging that primer laden tube back and forth, will outlast me for certain, gets the job done, isn't as sensitive as the Posi-Primer, will crush a primer in a tight pocket, and from this thread there is no real "stand out" hand priming unit. Recommendations are across the board and nearly equal.

shooter2
07-07-2013, 09:00 PM
wish I had a penny for every case ive primed with the lee!!!!!

Ditto. Good feel and still working after at least 10 years...

Ed Barrett
09-21-2013, 12:04 AM
I have 4 Lee square tray primers, I keep one for each type of primer. Every time Lee comes out with a new model I buy it and the old ones go to new loaders. I have never had one go bad or break. I grease the wear points once every 3 months and tell the people I have given my old ones to, to do the same thing and they last forever.

Lead Fred
09-21-2013, 07:51 AM
There isnt anything Lee makes, that Id be interested in using.
RCBS is about 90% of my stuff.
Its all from the 60s & 70s, and works great everyday.

jcwit
09-21-2013, 10:57 AM
I have 3 favorite hand primers, not necessarly in this order.

1. The old Lee Hand Primers with the screw in shell holders
2. The K & M Hand Primer
3. The Sinclair Hand Primer

The old Lee's are still found on E-Bay along with the shell holders.

BTW all 3 of the above are made in the U.S.A., which makes them a plus if you like supporting our Companies and labor force.

detox
09-22-2013, 01:06 PM
I own both RCBS versions and i like the 90200 version (left in picture) that requires seperate shell holders best. The 90201 version (right in picture) that uses universal shell holding device seems to require more force to seat primer fully. Allthough i do like the square tray that comes with the 90201 best, it is optional accessory for the 90200. Square tray fits all primer manufacturer packaging including the larger Federal packaging

velillen
09-22-2013, 01:37 PM
I have the lee auto prime xl or whatever it is called and also the rcbs universal.

The lee is nice but the large primer tray broke and no longer works on mine. For small primers it works just fine though!

The rcbs I bought since most large primers I do I only do 30 or so cases at a time so its nice not having to change shell holders

I like the lee better with shell holders for doing large quantities since it lines the cases up great. The rcbs can sometime misaligb the case slightly so it requires a bit more pressure or just reseating it. Not a huge issue but I've noticed it mostly with 30* cases.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong with whoever's you go with. Both work grey and both have pros and cons

nightal
09-22-2013, 10:17 PM
I called Lee about my problems with the Priming tool, was told to send both trays back.
Lee replaced both trays at no charge, later i read that if you had
purchased a new Lee priming tool before March of 2013 send the trays back, they have redesigned the way the primers feed....

dudel
09-27-2013, 07:18 AM
For the money, the lee's are tough to beat.....people can qualify the answer with pay more get more, but lee will do everything you need. Spend more if you need the features offered by the higher dollar units, don't if they aren't.

I like the Lee's as well, and have two of them (one in each primer size). They last longer and work smoother if the hinge point is kept lubed.

The only problem I see with the old ones is that they seem to be sensitive to primers other than CCI. Lee even has a warning about which primers to use. In the good old days when you could go down to the LGS and have your pick of primers, that wasn't much of a problem. Today, if you haven't stocked up, it could be.

I believe the new Lee primer doesn't have the issue about using specific primers. Strange that that warning didn't appear on any other priming tool.

The only gripe I have with the old Lee round trays, is that while they were excellent for the older smaller CCI 100 primer boxes, they don't work as well for the larger 100 count primer containers you find today. I suspect the new square trays would be much better.