PDA

View Full Version : Quick report on Stevens 200 from Wally World

David R
08-04-2005, 06:21 AM
I picked up my Savage 200 in 308 yesterday from Wally World. $268.00 New in box. The rifle is Identicle to the Savage 110 I had quite a few years ago. (I think I paid the same Price too) Blue steel action and barrel, Gray or (Grey) synthetic stock. It has impressed checkering where it should be and the barrel is free floated. I took the action off the stock, adjusted the trigger and hit it with some 600 grit sand paper wraped around a knife file to get the ruff edges off the sear and trigger. I mounted an old Burris 3 x 9 scope. I had a few rounds already loaded up for it, so off to the range I went. Nothing fantastic, but this was the first time out with it. I tried 20 grains of 2400 behind a Lyman 311466 sized to 308, loaded to what ever Lyman said for OAL. First groups were in the 2" zone @ 50 yards. I moved out to 100 to see what was going to happen there. One thing that stood out right away was the groups with softer boolits were smaller than the ones of pure linotype. I also was getting the dreaded 4 shot 1 1/2" cluster and one flyer about 2 or 3" away. After some thinking, I decided to try a few things. Next time out I will size em to .310. I also lubed 2 grooves instead of 4 on the 311466. I hope this will solve the flier problem. Now that I have the gun I can mess with the OAL and see how much that improves the groups.

I shot 10 311644 190 grain boolits behind 32 grains of 3031 for about 2000 Fps. Groups were about the same, but OUCH! Thats a lotta kick off the bench.

I moved out to 200 yards just to see what the heck. First group of wheel weight 311466 with 27 grains 3031 was about 4" x 6" in sort of a verticle string with one flier. Second group was a linotype 311466 with 32 grains of 3031. about an 8" x 4" group in a horizontal string with one flier.

This is going to take a few trips to the range because I like to only change one thing at a time. Next time out I will try them sized to .310 and compare 2 lubed grooves to 4 lubed grooves. I will also compare the wheel weight alloy to pure linotype agian to see if sizing them bigger makes a difference.

I haven't even tried the soup cans yet.

I am also going to solder a piece of feeler gauge to the trigger to get rid of some of the creep. I would rather do this than file off some of the sear. Over travel is adjustable, spring tension is adjustable and so is the safty engagment. Not a bad gun for the money. I think my goal is 2" @ 200 yards.

Standard disclaimer...Yadda Yadda Yadda

waksupi
08-04-2005, 07:54 AM
David, you'll probably need to fire several hundred rounds of jacketed, or lap the bore, before you can tell what the barrel will really do. Still in pretty raw condition until it is broken in. I used LBT bore lap on my last new barrel, and it made an incredible difference.

Bodydoc447
08-04-2005, 09:20 AM
Guys,

I must be dumb as a rock but I cannot find this rifle on the Wally World website. I used the special order gun catalog and everything I can think of. I am thinking I need one of these rascals in .308 or maybe .223. Can you point to a more specific place?

Thanks,

Doc

David R
08-04-2005, 09:10 PM
WAksupi, I intend to never shoot any factory in this gun, and only Jacketed if I have to. After the initial 50 rounds, no leading so far. I still think I was using too much lube, it was all over the end of the barrel after 50 rounds. I will lap it if needed. Just waiting to see what happens with some spearmenting.

Bodydoc447,

GO to wally world and ask for the catalog behind the counter. It was on the bottom of page 41.

My Beta Master :) Crony arrived today, I will be doing much shooting on Sunday. Its my day off and the significant other works.

If you buy one of these beta master crony's , take the insturctions to the range. Everything is done with one button.

Buckshot
08-05-2005, 03:54 AM
...........DavidR, unless Savage has changed things, DO NOT file on the trigger sear. They are sintered metal and surface hardened.

..............Buckshot

David R
08-05-2005, 05:52 AM
Thanks Buckshot,

I didin't know that. No, I am going to solder a feeler guage to the trigger llike the book said to on my 45 Auto. It will take up some space so there is not as much creep in the trigger. It should make it crisper, not lighter. If I screwed it up, I will find something better anyhow. Can't shoot well with a stiff trigger. Its gotta be good.

Going back to the range Sunday with the new crony. I will report on the bigger sized boolits with less lube.

David Root

Bodydoc447
08-05-2005, 03:14 PM
Thanks! I will get over there this weekend sometime and see if they can help me.

Doc

David R
08-05-2005, 10:54 PM
Went back today. Fired some with 2 grooves lubed and some with 4. The 2 lubed grooves shot a smaller group. Tried a longer OAL so the bolt would just close with the boolits run through a .310 sizer. Things are looking better. Tonight I had one group 9 shots in 7/8" X 9/16" with one Steenkin flier that made it 1 3/4" X 9/16". Another one 9 shots 1 1/4 X 1/2 and then that steenkin filer again made it 1 3/4" X 1/2". These are at 50 yards over 20 grains of 2400 @ 1950 Fps. I think this gun is a shooter. I have not cleaned it yet, even from when it was new. I will be doing that before Sundays fun. The 190 grain bore rider did not do as well, but it didn't last time either. Next time I can try again @ 100 and 200 yards to see how these do. All these boolits were cast of pure linotype. I am making some outa #2 alloy to see how they do. One step at a time. Gonna try some 5744 and see how that works. I also tried 11 grains of Red Dot. Those grouped a little bigger, but @ 1600, I can shoot silly wets.

Boy this is FUN!

Bodydoc447
08-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Went to Wally World Sunday. Big as heck, page 41. Half down, half on delivery. Thanks guys! Just have to decide if I want the .308 or the .223.

Doc

Frank46
08-09-2005, 05:10 AM
Bodydoc447, I bought the savage 110FP tactical about ten years ago, think I paid about $270 for it with rings and bases. Has the rynite (plastic) stock. Would not shoot consistently no matter what load I tried (j-bullets) The stock was very flexible especially so that the action was moving each time it was fired. Glassed the front receiver ring and used to get 3/4" groups. Think its time she was christened with real boolits. Frank

David R
08-09-2005, 05:58 AM
I noticed the flexable stock too. Its plastic. I would bed it , but don't know how.....Maybe its time to learn. This one will shoot. I just keep trying different things. I love expermenting. So far 11.o Red dot and 20 grs 2400 are looking the best. Tried some 5744, but velocity was 22oo and my boolits weren't hard enough. ES was 3 for 5 shots. Going to try agian with harder boolits.

Herb in Pa
08-10-2005, 10:12 AM
Here's the online catalog..................
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=418414

Bodydoc447
08-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Does the Stevens 200 come with mounts? Will weaver mounts for the Savage 110 fit it? Trying to get my ducks in a row for when I have saved enough dough for the rifle, scope, rings and mounts if needed.
Thanks,
Doc

Bullshop
08-14-2005, 05:35 PM
Does the Stevens 200 come with mounts? Will weaver mounts for the Savage 110 fit it? Trying to get my ducks in a row for when I have saved enough dough for the rifle, scope, rings and mounts if needed.
Thanks,
Doc
Doc
I just got one in for the shop in 22/250. Had a couple old old old sets of weaver bases for a 110 that installed with no problems. It was close to center as bore sighting required only minor adjustment. OH! it did not come with mounts.
BIC/BS

Bodydoc447
08-15-2005, 07:00 AM
Thanks, Bullshop. Now I know what to order for bases and rings. Still have not made up my mind whether to get the .308 or the .223.

Thanks again,
Doc