PDA

View Full Version : NICS Report for February

Blacksmith
03-04-2013, 06:50 PM
Here is an article about the NICS Report for February, 2,309,393 background checks, it also has other historical data and tables of trends.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/1244461-official-fbi-data-released-firearm-background-checks-exceed-2-3m-in-february?source=yahoo

Edubya
03-04-2013, 07:19 PM
I am a little bit skeptical when someone start throwing out numbers. I'm not too good of a mathmagician and the logic is well over my head on some of this, I admit. Do they include, in the NICS, the number of CCW permits that were renewed and the ones that were initially applied for or is that reserved for the purchasing of guns?

EW

gifford
03-04-2013, 07:43 PM
As far as I know, NICS is reserved for FFL dealers to use for verifying purchaser eligibilty; others may want to chime in, but that is my understanding.

runfiverun
03-04-2013, 07:52 PM
imagine how many are multiple purchases.
and how many more there would be if there were any guns left to purchase.

Johnch
03-04-2013, 07:58 PM
Not all result in a sale

Some of them get a vist from Big Brother
I was at the gunshop last month
A ......Guy tryed to buy a pistol
He got a NO on the backround check
And The gunshop got a quick call for the info on the form

As they wanted to "Talk" to him

John

BD
03-04-2013, 08:01 PM
Decline from January is most likely due to lack of supply. Empty shelves do not result in NICs checks.
BD

wv109323
03-04-2013, 08:40 PM
There is a NICS check if someone is reclaiming a pawned gun. That would also be a case where the NICS is required but not another gun sale.

MtGun44
03-04-2013, 09:10 PM
NICS checks are an attempted buy. Something like 98% or more go thru, so call it a
reasonable estimate of sales.

Nothing to do with CCW, that is state dependent and usually involves an FBI background check.

KS reported the highest ever number of CCW applications in Feb. Folks are arming up. Bigtime.

Bill

Blacksmith
03-04-2013, 09:13 PM
NICS checks do not = guns sold. However they are an indication of gun purchase and transfer activity and since we thankfully have no central registration and many gun companies do not report sales numbers there are few statistics of actual activity. This is one reason no one is sure how many guns are in the hands of "We The People".

By looking at NICS numbers you can see trends and compare relative activity from one time period to another. Currently the trends are up and it has gotten busier this year than last. The gun dealers will probably be reporting overall increases in sales and profits (a chance to invest?). With lots of new guns there will be increased consumption of ammunition and other firearms related goods and services.

Personally, based on things like the NICS numbers and anecdotal evidence, I believe many people are scared and worried about the future and are arming themselves for protection in an uncertain future.

km101
03-04-2013, 11:22 PM
As far as I know, NICS is reserved for FFL dealers to use for verifying purchaser eligibilty; others may want to chime in, but that is my understanding.

Yes NICS is reserved for FFL's only. About the only NICS checks that dont result in a sale are: delays, denials, or guns retrieved from a gunsmith after being left for repair.

VintageRifle
03-04-2013, 11:41 PM
Amazing how threats of new gun laws creates more demand for guns.

eveready
03-05-2013, 03:27 PM
I wonder if those numbers include the state of Pennsylvania since the state police do the instant checks here?

DLCTEX
03-05-2013, 07:21 PM
In Texas you have to submit digital finger prints and passport photo with your application after completing the class. I know many that are still getting the photo and fingerprints after their January class. We have to go to Amarillo now due to the Pampa store that was doing them being booked for three months (the licensed company used their facilities and paid them to make appointments) and the rush has caused the package store that was offering the service to discontinue offering it as it doesn't pay enough to interest them. That's a 200 mile round trip, so it has to be worked in with other business. This alone will delay the number of Jan. CCW applicants from being counted. I'm sure the Feb. gun sales were down due to lack of stock and jacked up prices.

eljefe
03-05-2013, 11:06 PM
No NICS is required to retrieve a gun from repair,
unless the person picking the firearm up is not the
person who originally left it with the licensee.

Down South
03-06-2013, 03:47 PM
I heard on the news that the decline was due to lack of supply. If you walked into the local Bass Pro over here you would see why, nothing but price stickers and no handguns behind them in the glass cases.

Down South
03-06-2013, 03:50 PM
In Texas you have to submit digital finger prints and passport photo with your application after completing the class. I know many that are still getting the photo and fingerprints after their January class. We have to go to Amarillo now due to the Pampa store that was doing them being booked for three months (the licensed company used their facilities and paid them to make appointments) and the rush has caused the package store that was offering the service to discontinue offering it as it doesn't pay enough to interest them. That's a 200 mile round trip, so it has to be worked in with other business. This alone will delay the number of Jan. CCW applicants from being counted. I'm sure the Feb. gun sales were down due to lack of stock and jacked up prices.
A buddy of mine and his wife both just got their permits last week "Texas".
I also understand that if you are a resident of Texas and have a concealed permit, you do not have go through the NICS check....