PDA

View Full Version : Scale for bullets

montana_charlie
08-10-2007, 05:35 PM
My reloading scale is an old Ohaus 10-10, which I am quite pleased with. I have used it for powder, bullets, cases...and various things my wife needed weighed in small quantities.

But, now that I am into BPCR, I hate to use it for weighing large numbers of those big heavy bullets. The amount of 'clunking up and down' while working through a batch of 550 grainers just makes me want to grit my teeth...wondering how hard it is on the knives and agate bearings.

So, I have frequently toyed with the idea of a small digital scale...just for bullets. As a single-purpose tool, I didn't want to lay out a pile of money, but just didn't know which of the lower priced ones could be trusted. I really needed some advice from someone who had the experience.

We have a member (here) called John Boy, and it's my assumption he is the same person posting on the Shiloh forum under that name. Anyway, the Shiloh 'John Boy' was recently involved in a thread over there that dealt with this very question. He recommended a scale made by NEVA which (according to him) is both accurate and durable. The link he posted is...
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEVA-100x0-01g-CARAT-GRAIN-DIGITAL-JEWELRY-SCALE-NEW_W0QQitemZ160109325705QQcmdZViewItem .

I went to eBay to see it, and found another listing...same brand...same seller...which was an auction instead of a Buy It Now sale.

Starting bid was $5.95, so I bid $6 and waited to see if I would 'win' it...and (20-odd hours later) I did. The scale arrived yesterday.
The first thing I did was run the calibration sequence with the included check weight. Then, I weighed a batch of bullets - to pick out a good set to send to another shooter.

I really like this scale! Thanks, John Boy...where ever you are.
CM

Lloyd Smale
08-10-2007, 07:17 PM
I would have bought one in a second but i refuse to pay over inflated shipping costs on anything.

montana_charlie
08-10-2007, 07:59 PM
i refuse to pay over inflated shipping costs
Well...a decent scale delivered to my door, for a total of twenty-one bucks, seemed reasonable to me.
CM

mooman76
08-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Good Night John Boy!

VTDW
08-10-2007, 08:24 PM
I picked up a little 500 gr capacity Cen-Tech pocket digital scale #93543 from Harbour Freight for $9.99. You need a small calculator to make the conversion i.e. the scale shows your boolit to weigh .62 oz (I set the scale to oz.) then .62 times 437.5 gives you the weight in grains (271.25 grains). Works every time, reliably and accurately.

Yours looks nicer!!

Dave

montana_charlie
08-10-2007, 08:51 PM
I can run a scale...and I can line up bullets by weight. I can even do both of those at once. But to do those two things...and run numbers through a calculator at the same time...well, I'd need at least one helper.
Two, if there was gum to be chewed...
CM