PDA

View Full Version : MVA and Lyman target globe front sight assemblies' question

Naphtali
03-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Lyman and MVA offer target globe front sight assemblies, and I will need to buy one for use on a mountain hunting rifle. Since I have located a custom insert maker who creates built-to-order sight inserts for both brands, my sole criterion to decide pertains to the base and hood "male" that secures each sight's insert.

Which base-hood assembly is more likely to withstand being banged up - that is, rifle dropped muzzle first or muzzle inadvertently swung into a rock.

While having a sight assembly that has experienced such a catastrophe is not necessary for a reply, it would be useful to have experience with either sight assembly.

Don McDowell
03-04-2013, 02:20 PM
The Lyman sight is more likely to keep the insert in place as part of it actually threads into the globe and secures the insert. Where the MVA is typical sharps design and is held in place by a spring clip on the top. That set up works alright if you secure it with a rubber band etc, but without securing it you do stand a chance of the clip getting moved out of position and the insert falling out.
I'm not a fan of the globes for hunting, preferring a blade, but IF I were to use a globe front for hunting I'ld sure take a hard look at Shaver's front sight, the globe is larger than either the Lyman or the MVA and lets more light in, and allows for a better sight aquistion in low light.

Doc Highwall
03-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I have hunted with a globe sight and found in the woods it blocks to much field of view. Someone here stated they took the insert out and hunted with it that way. My vote would be for the Lyman because it does screw in but I think a wide blade would be the best allowing you to see it in lower light conditions.

BruceB
03-04-2013, 05:54 PM
The Lyman, at least, is a very sturdy steel tube, and will withstand a considerable blow from dropping or whatever. In this regard, I think the 17-series sights are at least as strong as a conventional ramp-type sight, and maybe even MORE resistant to damage. (I have never dropped a hunting rifle in over fifty years of field use, but I suppose it could happen.)

An extra set of inserts would be a VERY good thing to have, because that would allow the user to double or even triple the thickness of the in-use insert. This greatly strengthens the sight against damage from branches etc.

As long as the target is reasonably well-lit (sufficiently to identify and aim) the sight will work well. I definitely prefer the single, prominent post insert...the other inserts are mostly intended for paper-target work and are NOT good for hunting use. After using these sights for a while (as well as MANY different military iron-sight types), I can say that concerns about "field of view" etc are groundless. Get accustomed to the particular set-up and they become very simple and fast to use.

NSB
03-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Lyman makes a #20MJT front globe. It's about the same as the 17 but larger diameter. It's also a ton of money cheaper than anything made by MVA or Lee Shaver. I'm not knocking MVA or Lee Shaver since I've owned both and they are both of outstanding quality. For a hunting gun I would not spend the money since they simply aren't necessary for a hunting gun.

kokomokid
03-04-2013, 06:07 PM
The MVA113 is my choice for bpcr shooting but the spring clip jumps out and snags everything you get close to. The lyman is pretty small and poor light conditions would be a challenge.

Mike Brooks
03-04-2013, 06:48 PM
I have the MVA, Shaver, Keller, Redfield and Lyman. No problems with any of them.

Naphtali
03-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Many thanks for this information, guys. My reason for specifying a globe front is that I discovered, when I owned a Lyman GPR with #17 sight mounted, that mounting a blade insert upside down allowed me to see my target/quarry more easily and hold on/over target without obscuring it. View of target is significantly easier and clearer than any blade/post/pin/other front sight I've used. And thicker blade is no liability when viewing.

The only problem was learning to drop down on my target rather than lift up. This took less than a single range session.

I disliked the feeling of holding "pressed beer can lids and bent paper clips" I had when using my GPR, so I'm having rifles built to order. While I have experience with Lyman's #17, there are several other globe sight assemblies. In for a dime, in for a dollar. I may as well obtain the best globe sight assembly for my purpose. Apparently, the #17 [and possibly 20MJT??] may be what I need?

MikeS
03-10-2013, 07:00 AM
Lee Shaver also makes a sight comparable to the Lyman 17 (uses the same sight inserts) that has a spirit level built into it. His inserts have one that's a crosshair, similar to looking thru a scope, that's the one I use as it obscures the target the least. I would imagine that insert would work good for hunting as well, but not being a hunter, I'm not really sure of that.

Dan Cash
03-10-2013, 02:45 PM
I have Lyman 17s on 3 of my 4 non scoped hunting rifles. They work flawlessly and have yet to present any problem with low light. If I can see the critter, I can see him through the sights. If you want something spiffy, Kelly makes a beautiful version of the 17, case hardend and brass triim.